1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 28, 2008.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Uh, what? Off-years happen in a positive way too, you know. Remember Brian Griese and his 100+ rating? Decent backup, at best. You don't evaluate anyone by one year, unless it's all the evidence you have (which is the case with Schaub). Three years is generally the accepted number in most scouting circles, so that's why I used it. Going back to 1999 was merely to show the length of time that Favre's been inconsistent.

I definitely did -- I said if you wanted to create an argument centered around durability, I'd respect it and agree with it. I'm talking about what we saw on the field. There's a legitimate case to be made that the most severe of Schaub's injuries (shoulder, SD game) was a complete fluke on a vicious illegal hit, and his offensive line was certainly nowhere remotely close to Favre's.

When used without context, TD/INT ratio is the most worthless, absurd statistic in all of sports. It makes W/L record for pitchers in baseball look relevant.

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of fans are stupid. The average fan formulates his opinions based on 45-second highlight clips presented by ESPN and a couple of talking heads. The average fan formulates his opinions based on star power and personality. It's not about homerism. Favre's not in the top half of starting quarterbacks that I would take for one year if I had a contending team. Schaub's merely one example of 15-20.

It's about looking beyond the name and the hype and into actual performance. When you're there, you'll see that two of Favre's last three seasons have been awful, and even in his one very good season (2007), his big-game performance was predictably bad.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

(Justice blog from today's practices)...

You know what sucks? Having to suffer through Houston media while starving for coverage of football. I was just looking around to see reports on today's practices, and I read this garbage by Richard Justice.

These coaches are with these guys on a daily basis, yet he seems to think he knows the best way to coach them. And it's funny how apparently two-a-days do so much harm, yet every team in the league goes through them. :rolleyes:

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he also neglected to say that Kubiak has light two a days with the second session being no touch.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The first half of Justice's "article" reads like a 6th grader's report on what he did on his summer vacation.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, no kidding off-years can be positive, but you cannot be seriously saying that last year was a fluke on-year for Favre, lol. Favre's been inconsistent that long? Really? Well, in the last seven years he has posted four 90+ QB rating years and one 85+. 2 bad years in the last 7. Meanwhile, you are touting Schaub's wonderful 87.2 QB rating for about half a year.

That wasn't even the only time he was knocked out. The first game against the Titans, he was knocked out twice, once for an ankle injury and once for a hip and lower-back injury. He then got knocekd out the next week against San Diega with a concussion. Then he had that bad hit by the Titans, and by that time I wasn't surprised.

I wasn't talking about "stupid fans," although you are always talk about that. I am talking about who other teams would want as their QB. Whether Favre is in "the top half" is completely irrelevant to this argument, I am comparing him to Schaub. I am not even a Favre fan.

And there you go again with his "two of his last three seasons have been awful" thing. Well, 5 of his last 7 years have been pretty good. And I am "looking beyong the name." I am looking at his stats.

Favre- 95.7 QB rating, 66.5%, 4155 yards, 28 TD, 15 INT
    Schaub- 87.2 QB rating, 66.4%, 2241 yards, 9 TD, 9 INT

#385 Mr. Clutch, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. Mr. Clutch

Painful to read.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Kubiak just said they're gonna look to put Chris Brown at FB on some plays, it would be interesting to see a backfield of Brown/Slaton at some point throughout the season.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I heard him say Taylor, but not Brown.

9. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nice find, good to hear Molden is coming along well. I thought he was a good pickup in the 3rd, he could very well see some early PT as Reeves has reportedly been struggling the first couple days. Also, supposedly Reeves has a Faggins-esque reputation with Cowboy fans.

11. Mr. Clutch

Read today's columb by Justice.

He praises offensive line coach Gibbs because he is angry and rips into players. I know Justice contradicts himself, usually within a column, but this is getting ridiculous.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5912429.html

“I appreciate a little attitude from a coach,” Pitts said. “He’s intense, a lot of energy. We have to watch his blood pressure out here sometimes.”

“Not necessarily everybody liked him, but they respected him,” Kubiak said.

It’s one of Kubiak’s many strengths that he’s willing to hire coaches willing to challenge him and tell him when he’s wrong.

“Alex will do that and then some,” Kubiak said. “When it comes to the running game, he’s very hard. He’ll rip the linemen for their blocks, rip the quarterback for not carrying out his fake and rip me for not calling the right play.”