1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Royals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 22, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think the perspective on how infrequently teams follow up a WS win with another…or even a playoff run…is why I’m not as quick to call it choking or quitting. They’ve been a massive outlier historically for years now. What we are seeing is pretty much in line with what most WS champs have done the following year.

Bregatron likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with this. While Framber and JV are good, neither has been the type of pitcher to single handedly stop losing streaks.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That was quite the feeling waking up this morning with this and the Cowboys loss. I'm headed to the library to have some talks around the water cooler.

[​IMG]

roadtrip and Stephen66 like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In hindsight, this team had the least margin for error of any Astros team since 2016. IMO

They started the season with 4 rookies on the bench- Diaz, Salazar, Julks, and Hensley- and none of them top 100 superstar type of expectations.

Their 6 expected SP was comprised of: Framber, a rookie w/ 2 career starts, 2 pitchers who were not good enough to be regular playoff contributors, one who had never spent an entire season in the rotation and coming off of his highest ever IP total and pitched in WBC, and one with injury riddled past who had missed1/2 the season in 2022 despite being expected to be ready for the entire season.

The manager routinely- and apparently openly with ownerships blessing- gave young semi-proven position players regular off days while playing the older veterans everyday despite constantly talking about the 162 game grind.

At the same time, he made no attempt to reduce IP of the starters, skip their turns or take them out one second before they completely blow up.

While all this was going on, teams like the Mariners, Rangers, Orioles, and Blue Jays were continuing to improve by adding depth and talent and gaining experience, reducing the potential options for this team to land in the playoffs picture.

Dusty could have maximized whatever chances this team had by playing Chas and Diaz more, Maldy, Abreu, and Julks less, and taking SP out earlier in many games but for the most part he managed the way he has always managed and Crane and Brown were OK with it.

While he has to (deservedly) take much of the blame, the truth is that once Altuve, Brantley, Yordan, McCullers, Garcia, and Urquidy missed extensive time with injury whatever cushion this team may have had was gone.

If this exact scenario had played out in 2022 this team is likely a playoff team.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and while I am still hoping for a miraculous playoff run, at least I know this experience should help them next year.

As long as Dusty doesn't come back and they fill out the roster with a few average-ish experienced MLB players who can bring that margin for error back up this team should be a force again in 2024.

Stephen66, Tomstro, Joe Joe and 2 others like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Give the guys a full offseason of rest for the first time in a long time, dump Maldy and Dusty, and hopefully get some of your starting pitching back healthy and I think the Astros are the favorites to win it all next year.

Stephen66, Bregatron, jim1961 and 3 others like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The injuries should have ruined the Astros season. Chas and Diaz being even better than expected, Bielak having a 3.69 ERA in 13 starts, and France an ERA of 3.92 in 23 starts happened and changed that.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Adam Duvall, who signed for $7 million and has two working shoulders.
    Knowing they were losing Verlander and McCullers was vulnerable, I would have looked at a starter- even with the Astros depth, it would have been prudent given that the team had used Urquidy in trade talks before.
    Zach Eflin signed for 3 years, $33 million with Tampa- he was out there.
    A left hand reliever might have been nice, too.
    I don't know, I just think the hubris of firing your GM coming off of a WS title without any candidates lined up cost them.

Stephen66 and everyday eddie like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Not wrong about that.

Duvall was a total shot in the dark, he was absolute dogs!!t terrible last season, there's a reason why a guy with multiple 30HR seasons, a GG, and led the league in RBI was available on the cheap and his former team didn't even want to sign him for that

IdStrosfan likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not clear on what Jim Crane's resolve will be.

Health is something everyone wants but is a dice roll mostly.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Fair enough. Hindsight, but Brantley is f-ing toast.

Stephen66 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Gotta be a good sign...Abreu hitting and also Moldy. Where are Bregs and Tuck ? Man...we need all these guys engaged.

13. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about Brantley...what's the matter...a labial inflammation ? Damn there are people who have had heart transplant surgery that would have recovered twice by now.JMO.

jim1961 and Stephen66 like this.