1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Major

Major Member

Why is 2 months arbitrarily the proper measure? Why not 4.5 months?

I think you miss the point. If the team doesn't click, they are going to lose regardless - that's true of any team in baseball. Adding a mediocre bat doesn't change that. There are no MVP bats available like there was with Verlander. Adding a mediocre pitcher to last year's team wouldn't have moved the needle either.

At this point, the Astros are what they are. If they click, they will be great. If they don't, they won't. They need their stars to be stars. If that happens, they'll be fine. Adding a Granderson type bat won't change that.

2. Major

Major Member

Marwin and White have 1.000+ OPS's this month. Both are hitting 0.300 since the All-Star Break and have been our two best hitters for the last month. It's like you're not even paying attention.

HTown2017Champs and MrBear1 like this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Puzzled how anyone who watches this team every day can say that Marwin is the only player who is worse. Altuve, Correa, Springer, Marwin, Yuli, Reddick, McCann, and Marisnick have all had 100+ point drops in OPS from 2017. Gattis has been unplayable for all but a few weeks. Bregman, Stassi, and White are the only position players who are even remotely playing up to expectations.

We've got a championship caliber pitching rotation, there is no doubt there. But 2018 Altuve and 2018 Springer will not solve our woes. If they come back and go 2017 on us, then we will be fine. But again, there is nothing to indicate that will be the case.

Houstunna, Joshfast and Tomstro like this.
  4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm merely pointing out that this no longer can be considered a fluke. They have showed sustained success and are a legitimate threat to us.

Cool. So, what's even the point of discussing this then? Let's just sim to end of season and see what happened, am I right?

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  5. jtexan

jtexan Member

The problem is that they don't have that one big stick in the lineup that can take over a game or a series. Correa was supposed to be that guy, but it hasn't worked out, Altuve mainly just hits for average, and Springer is just too streaky. Give me a guy that hits 40 bombs and drives in 110 runs and hits "only" .250 over a guy that hits .340 with 15 homers any day.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

All of my moaning aside, I have no doubts that this team has the potential to go into October and dominate and I hope like hell that they do.

Until then, however, there are plenty of reasons for concern and it is by no means irrational/bangwagon-esque to be talking and worrying about them.

Tomstro and Kim like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

For sure

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Other than Altuve being injured, he's not egregiously worse. The other guys also have a track record of getting their numbers if they stay healthy.

Marwin was the one that vastly overperformed last year.... and now is back to his career averages prior (and slightly worse). Bregman, on the other hand, is markedly better.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Absolutely its fine to worry... but context matters.

I'd be far more concerned if this team was at full strength and was doing this (sorta like last year). I'd also be more concerned if the injured players weren't expected to be back prior to the end of the season... and right now, they're all expected to, even Altuve who has now started hitting (even if he has to be the DH... he should be able to hit).

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Their 1-4, when healthy, is by far the best 1-4 in baseball. They may not have that "one" guy (although I scoff at you belittling Altuve's accomplishments)... but all 4 of them, batting in a row, is an elusive weapon that all teams would be begging to have.

11. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Look at their OPS vs Boston’s 1-4 ops or Oakland’s or the Yankees. The Astros 1-4 (2018 versions) isn’t even close to betts benintendi and jd Martinez in terms of statistical production.

You are thinking career wise and not considering the numbers in 2018 which are more relevant.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say career wise, for younger players, is just as relevant. Its not like we're banking on production from 8 years ago all of a sudden coming back.

I'm still taking the Astros 1-4 now, unless they have some sort of injury that they absolutely cannot get back to all strength from.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The last time the Astros lost 9 consecutive home games .....

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Even the 100 loss Seasons, the Astros never lost 9 games at home. The Astros lead the league in hitting into double plays. Low Avg hitters throughout the roster, only Bregman, Kemp, Yuli, Now White is getting it going now have a respectable avg, after that it's really AAAA hitters. This is the weirdest offense I've seen ever no doubt.

15. HTown2017Champs

Glad to see Kemp back in the 9-hole. That's where he belongs, as it's where he hits best. Also, Stassi starts against someone other than Morton for the first time this month, I believe.

16. Malaya

Malaya Member

Frankly, we need a shutout. Our hitters seem to freeze when playing from behind.

Please, Cole and the bullpen, be on point today.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Oakland finally lost a game today. Let's go boys...gotta get this one tonight.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You must be really tired because you're tired of a lot. I never said you're not allowed to be worried and I never said I'm a better fan that you or anyone else acting as if it's already over. So, you know, shove that one back where it came from.

I just think it's funny how this season is looking an awful lot like last season...with the difference that the division is better. This time around, we don't need a new player...we just need our players back. What Springer and Altuve do to opposing team's game planning cannot be underestimated. I'll take hope and the memory of a year ago.

Much like with Cleveland last year, it's taking a very very good run of baseball to even catch us. And for a team that has been at or around 30 games over .500 for much of the season, I'm not sure how you think that they are where they are only due to a good 12 games in June.

They're one of the best 3 teams in baseball this season after winning the World Series last year. I'm not going to get my panties in a wad over a bad stretch when it includes missing the World Series MVP and the American League MVP being on the DL. You are more than welcome to.

Nick likes this.
  19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

2017 and 2018 are two different seasons. The Astros have wasted a TON of great pitching performances with inept offense, injuries or not.

To sit back and not panic is fine. However, just looking to how things went last year as a reason to not be concerned about this year is stupid. Again, 2 different seasons with a lot of players performing differently than last year. We have better pitching this year. It hasn’t translated to more wins. Why? Because the team does not hit consistently. Also, this home losing thing is real and it really needs to be fixed.

I get the whole thing about staying calm while we are playing terribly, and then when things work out you can seem like one of the smarter fans on this board. I get that, I really do.

Yet the Astros are playing like dogschit right now and that is a lot of what should be discussed at this point. When they start playing up to their capabilities, we can rejoice and be all pollyanna again.

They are playing terribly and fans are growing anxious. It’s sports. It will always be like that. It’s ok too.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Could be true.

Also, Correa and Springer need to get serious again too. Their '17 production currently appears an aberration.