1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 14, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

First game I show up to this year... we win by 11

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Over 2017 and 2018, White has hit very well over 157 plate appearances (quarter of a season's worth of PAs of near 0.300 BA with a pace for 40 homers). He should get another 60 or so plate appearance with Gurriel and Gattis starting most games. If over next 60 or PAs he continues to walk more than either Gattis or Gurriel, hit for more power than Gattis, and hit for average like Gurriel over those 60 at bats, I think Astros have to consider benching one of them for White.

HTown2017Champs and Nook like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Until the World Series...

4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

If Tucker is what he is projected to be that is who logically he is going to replace. So far Tucker has shown little to nothing. From what we have seen so far the best time to give Tucker his shot is at the first of next year. I would trade Reddick for whatever we could get for him. He may be untradeable because of his contract I do not know. I just don't think he brings that much anyway to this team.

5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I’m all for benching Gattis for White. Gattis is cool when he has his multi-HR game per month and occasional one torrid stretch per year, but otherwise he sucks as a DH.

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think you know what you need to do for the rest of the season, then. ;)

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Let's hope Gattis is about to start one of his torrid streaks. This coming road trip would be perfect timing.

8. HTown2017Champs

Playing in AL parks does NOT mean no double switches. You can pinch hit for, say, Maldonado, leave White (or whoever pinch hits) in the game, and have Stassi fill in for someone else. I've seen AJ do that multiple times.

I say White gets some 1B time next year, while Yuli moves into a more utility role. Hopefully Gattis goes, and most likely, I envision Alvarez at DH, and Beer at 1B by the end of 2019, and to start 2020.

9. HTown2017Champs

I'd definitely leave Gattis off the WS roster if we make it. No DH at NL parks means potentially up to 4 games he's useless aside from ONE pinch hit appearance, while Tyler White does offer decent defense at 1B.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I beg forgiveness if this has already been posted ...

#250 No Worries, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Houstunna and moonsh0t like this.
  11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Did we save any runs for tonight?

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If the Astros are able to score even one run tonight their offense is all World.

kaleidosky, arkoe, Marteen and 3 others like this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

I can’t believe you are trying to singlehandedly take credit for that shellacking, anyways thanks! ;)

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I like that we are on ESPN2 tonight. Although they look a lot smaller, I like how they are swinging the bats.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Well. Whoops.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Read/heard two interesting Astros tidbits today. Sorry no links.

One article from a NY paper worried that Astros would drop into wildcard and Verlander who owns the Yankees would end their season in one playoff game.
    The other was someone on national radio (didn't listen long enough to hear who it was) saying the Red Sox were built to win lots of regular season games, but in a Series vs Astros, they would be at a disadvantage due to 2nd,3rd,4th starters. Playoff pitching and having a game plan to attack a team can overcome the hitting advantage.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Last I heard, Astros were still Vegas favorite.

This was during the last Mariners series.