1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Reggie Bush or Someone else -- Vince Young out of running

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

probably because none of them have been touted as the greatest pro prospect. so if reggie joins them in that company of those not worth trading up for.......

2. Major

Major Member

It was during the draft - I'm not sure if it was immediately before or after the Phillip Rivers pick, but right around then. When San Diego picked Eli, everyone was still confused why they'd take a guy who didn't want to play there.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

"the fact the most valued player has no trade value"?

Max, you are a cool guy, but this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen you type (in fact, the ONLY ridiculous thing I've seen you type :) ).

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

well, if the Texans pick Mario then we'll know what's up and everyone will be happy. :)

5. MadMax

what's the value? is it more than it is to get d'brick? or VY? or super mario? if it is...then i would guess we would see it. the best explanation that makes me sleep better is that it has happened but we didn't hear about it.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Max, I'm not sure what you're getting at with all of this. Well, I have a clue, but...

It's been stated numerous times that the Texans are asking too much for him. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that. Why are they asking too much for him? Because he's such a highly rated prospect.

I can play this game too. If Yao Ming is so good, why haven't the Rockets been bombarded with trade offers for him?

Just about all the experts say that Bush is the best player in the draft. I just don't understand what's so controversial about picking him at #1.

7. codell

so just because we aren't privy to inside information regarding trade offers, then its just logical to assume he has little trade value? :confused:

8. updawg

updawg Member

I have a feeling Max is like me and curious why the Texans don't seem to be evaluating trade options heavily. Maybe they are and I just haven't heard. It seems like in years past there are always tons of rumors about trade possibilities floating around but this year there aren't. Maybe I've just not heard them

9. MadMax

what is the asking price relative to other players in the draft? what is the comparative value to what oakland is rumored to be proposing to move up to #2 to take VY, for example?

what are the texans asking for?

10. MadMax

no, no, no. that wouldn't make me sleep better at all. it's that reggie has tremendous trade value, and that we're just not hearing about the rumors that would have me sleeping better.

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

MadMax- Let me give you an answer.

Charley Casserly said on TV last Sunday night they were getting NO-ZERO calls for the #1 pick.

My reason is this- It is not worth it.

It has nothing to do with the Texans asking price, that is just part of negotiation and effort. They aren't getting calls.

No team in their right mind is going to move up to take a running back not named Earl Campbell. And the only reason the Oilers did that was they got a good deal from Tampa Bay and they saw alot of Earl at Texas and they knew he could carry a team.

A running back has very little value at #1 overall.
    They are not difference makers.
    Quarterbacks, Defensive Ends, Offensive Linemen in that order are the difference makers.

A team would be crazy to trade up for Reggie Bush. He may be the most explosive prospect ever but explosive running backs are not near as valuable as explosive QB's and Pass Rushers.

As far as impact on lighting a team QB's and Pass rushers are by far more valuable.

Reggie Bush has more question marks than Vince Young going into the NFL.
    He will have to prove (which I believe he will) that he is a 20 carry back, he can get tough 1st down yards and score at the goal line.

I would rate this draft by value like this-

first tier (no Particular order)
    Vince Young, Mario Williams, Brick

second tier
    Leinart, Bush, Hawk

Now I think most NFL scouts totally blow it when it comes to running QB's like McNabb, McNair and Vick- They all assume they will struggle to read NFL defenses and they all are poor passers coming into the league. Vick was a poor passer. McNair and McNabb were as good as any that came in at the same time.

Believe me Vince Young is not a poor passer, he is very efficient and he doesn't throw very many mistakes. He is going to be a better passer than all of the above and he is a superior scrambler.

Vince Young is going to rock in the NFL.
    Alot of teams are looking at need.

And the best thing the Texans could do is if they get an offer for a trade and it is decent TAKE IT.

If I was the Texans I would have my board looking like this-

1. Vince Young
    2. Mario Williams
    3. Reggie Bush
    4. Brick

the only reason I would put Bush over Brick is Bush might turn out better than expected and I wouldn't pass over him for someone who doesn't have the impact of a pass rusher or QB.

12. MadMax

rhester --

except two of the most lopsided trades were for RB's. williams and walker.

i'm not talking lopsided. i'd just like to know what the offers are to move up to take reggie bush.

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

rhester, you know better that to believe anything any GM says in the two weeks leading up to the draft

tsk tsk tsk

14. codell

Max, be honest. The only thing that would would make you sleep better is if we drafted VY. :p

15. rhester

I don't know, but if there is a decent one out there- let's take it.

I would take the Jets 2- #1's and a #3 pick right now.

16. MadMax

i know that's not gonna happen....in all truthfulness, no matter how hard it may be for you to believe this, that's not what's driving my question here.

17. updawg

updawg Member

Normally, but with Casserly involved I don't know what to think.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is that why 3 of the top 5 picks last year were runningbacks?

That's simply not true. It's a fact that there are more questions about VY. Bush is considered to be the surest prospect in the fradt.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Because absolutely nobody should be taken with the first pick of the draft. They should just skip the first pick this year and go straight to #2. I guess that is what Max is getting at? :confused:

20. rhester

Because GM's and coaches prove year after year that they don't do any better evaluating picks than you or I.

The #1 pick last year was a QB instead of Carnell Williams or Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman simply because of the premium value of QB's over running backs and GM's don't look at the value of the pick instead they go with traditional thinking.

Believe me if this was the Texans first draft as an expansion club the only question about the pick would be do we take Young or Leinart.

That's my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.