1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He'll probably do a pretty good job at driving LGBTQ+ turnout. Of course, I think that's a pretty high voting rate demographic anyway. Meanwhile, Midwestern blue collar voters probably don't see him speaking 7 languages, being a Rhodes scholar, and going to elite schools as much of a feather in his cap. If you're anti-elitist, he's not your guy.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can positively contrast his military service with Private Bone Spurs.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trump voters don't care that he didn't serve. Democrats waste too much time pointing out how crappy of a person Trump is.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I know. There is no convincing them. If avoiding an "elitist" label means nominating another contender for the "Most Proudly Ignorant Person in the World" award, there is no way forward.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, it doesn't seem that long ago when a previous president was challenged by the other party with "character matters".

Presidential Campaigns Always Concern Character
    By David Paul Kuhn - May 23, 2012
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...pire_capitalism_obama_romney_kuhn_114235.html

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

But, but... we aren't voting for pope...

8. adoo

adoo Member

joshuaao likes this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They also need to try and appeal to the anti-Trump conservatives/moderates who are willing to do anything - up to and including voting Democrat - just to get him out of office.

There may not be a lot of us, but as of right now, we don't have anyone speaking for us. On either side.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  10. JuanValdez

That's true. He does have some things to leverage. Mayor of Indiana being one. His military service is something he'd play up a lot more too, I'd think. But honestly, his homosexuality will be the elephant in the room. If you're not okay with that, you'll find plenty of other reasons to not like him. Conversely, if you really want a gay president, he has other qualities you can point to as well.

11. NewRoxFan

Really good takes (both JV's and adoo's). I worry if America is ready to choose the best possible candidate or if there will be too many "but he is a ...". One thing that has been good so far that with only one reported instance there haven't been much push back yet. And even in the instance that I am referring to Buttigieg has handled it in such a cool and reasonable manner that it shows how well he will handle most any kind of attack.

12. justtxyank

CometsWin and Nook like this.
  13. justtxyank

Bill Weld. I'm giving money to Weld and will work for him. He'll probably lose eventually and then I'll have to figure out my next step.

I will not vote for Bernie Sanders. I simply won't.

If Biden is the candidate for the Democrats I will probably vote for him over Trump. I'm not sure on Mayor Pete though. I don't support Medicare for all.

14. NewRoxFan

You have a point. I guess the thing that still is unsettling is to what lengths republicans have proven this... at least based on their acceptance if not support of all the things he tweets, says, and does...

15. justtxyank

The Republican base, the 20-40% of voters who make up the true right (hard to know what the real number is) may not be true white nationalists but they definitely have serious concern about the disappearing white majority. Secretly for some, openly for others, that is the single biggest issue for them. They think they are losing their country and they are scared to death. Even most Republican elected officials won't be open about that issue and so when someone IS open about it that fires them up.

It's just not possible to underrate how much white fear drives the immigration issue and how that single issue generates nearly 90% of the anger on the right.

biff17, CometsWin, Nook and 2 others like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, I think a forgiveness candidate will be effective for voters who despise Trump but are afraid of payback.

Just seeing how the left has responded indicates there will be a reckoning

17. JuanValdez

If it makes it go down any easier, the Republicans are still expected to hold the Senate in 2020. So, McConnell will be able to block any single-payer scheme. I also don't like Medicare for All (or all payer rate setting), but given a choice between a Medicare-for-All president with a Senate leader in opposition or a dirty, corrupt, and evil president with a Senate leader carrying his bags, I'll take the former and hope the legislative process can refine any healthcare reforms into good ideas.

Sweet Lou 4 2, biff17 and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

He doesn't really need 95% of the Trump voters. He just needs the Obama-Trump voters that felt Hillary was out of touch or not trustworthy. We have to remember that Hillary won by 2-3 million votes - they were just really poorly distributed. If he can appeal to midwestern voters as ethical and rational, that might be all he needs, especially given that Trump is less popular today than in 2016.

I don't value experience much, but I think people would be right to be skeptical there and that's potentially problematic for him. But his maturity and seeming-genuineness-and-honesty contrast perfectly with Trump when you put them in the same room. Since at least 1980, every election has been won by the more charismatic/who-I'd-rather-have-a-beer-with candidate, and he would run circles around Trump in that regard.

I'd like to know more about him and how he deals with the lack-of-experience issue, but I'm starting to become a bigger fan.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. justtxyank

A "reckoning" candidate on the left gives Trump his best chance to get re-elected. The left has so much vengeance in mind right now. I get some of it, but still. The Right elected their vengeance candidate and now we fear the left may do the same.

Nook, Invisible Fan and Major like this.
  20. justtxyank

Except that he's gay. I really don't know how to evaluate how big of an issue that will be for those Trump supporters who could go back to the Dems if they had the right candidate. I also think being gay will hurt him with black voters.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.