1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So because Thomas Jefferson knew slavery was a bad thing, that means all the other "people" involved knew? This is how we need to bury Mayor Pete? I don't think so. Weak gotcha sauce, TBH.

joshuaao, Deckard and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that and he was on a children's public television show? short clip, so hard to tell about the whole thing, but a pretty good chance he was oversimplifying the discussion for an audience of children

joshuaao, BigM and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

Yeah, heaven forbid. And heaven forbid he doesn't tell kids that the founders were actually a bunch of evil racist white dudes and have the kids take that home to dinner and lose even MOAR potential votes. LOL.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Mayor Pete appears to make some folks very nervous.

I am sure some of it is his lack of familiarity and the media....... but there does appear to be something legitimate to the idea that some segments of the public do not trust him.

I have even had some people comment on his height, his sexuality...... and the oddest is that someone people seem to believe that he is Jewish for some reason.

He just doesn't seem well liked by some people and they cannot articulate why.

I asked the Godfather to my son what his opinion is on Mayor Pete and he said: "He is okay with me but not my family. My own mom said as a 75 year old black woman she can smell bullshit from a mile away, and Pete is full of ****."

FWIW I don't believe he is qualified to be President but would likely vote for him over Trump in a general election.

joshuaao, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Jeez guys. what the hell?

Oversimplifying Racism and Slavery is why all these children have no Idea about the real history of America and Black/African Americans and they wonder why everyone is always so upset all the time. Over protecting children is why we got a dude as ignorant as Mayo Pete running for President.

Morality is not complicated. People not knowing humans being treated as cattle was wrong is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. For some of you guys to defend that.. I'm disappointed.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

As for Thomas Jefferson and the other framers..... the vast majority of them knew owning another human being was wrong. However many of them had their fortune based on owning slaves or profiting from them indirectly. At some point morality gave way to personal prosperity.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Dream, this is a fair point. but it's only a 29 second clip, virtually impossible to gain any context from it, age level, whatever. But your point is very well taken.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well, I agree that it's better to have the original full video for context, but I don't know how much more context is needed when someone says people didn't know slavery was bad.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That could be America’s new slogan!!!

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  12. B-Bob

not defending anything. At all. Don’t put words in my mouth, and we’ll be fine.

my point is the guy was relaying what a huge number of people accept as a version of our flawed and stained history. There are definitely more complete and complex versions, yes. Is this candidate not reciting a fully complex and ugly version to school children a reason not to vote for him versus Trump? Maybe for some, not for me though.

cheers.

Deckard, joshuaao, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, and I'm not trying to argue here or defend Buttigieg here or defend slavery here . . . but what should he have said instead? he could have gone into a full dissertation about the Quaker John Woolman walking around the countryside preaching the evils of slavery in the1750s and 60s, but that his was pretty much still a minority view at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Looking up the list of signers, 41 of them owned or had owned slaves at some point before 1776. Without trying to read Buttigieg's mind about his inferences about the founder's minds, it's reasonable to assume that at least a portion of those 41 slave owners or former slave owners didn't think of slavery as "bad." Thus it is quite possible to make an argument that Mayor Pete is simply empirically correct in making the statement he did in that clip.

I don't know. I don't have enough information about Mayor Pete or that forum or about Pete's actual knowledge of history or a whole bunch of other things. Yes the statement in the clip is bad, but I think there's at least a chance that it can be interpreted a bit more charitably, more or less. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to go into a lengthy dissertation on Woolman etc if the format called for pithy 20-second sound bite responses.

Could he have answered the question better? yes, without a doubt. But I can't judge much less condemn just from that 29 seconds of video.

#673 Os Trigonum, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Deckard and joshuaao like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Don't put words in Mayo Pete's mouth.

15. B-Bob

FWIW, I know that killing Iraqi civilians is horribly wrong, and separating migrant kids from my parents is wrong. But my tax dollars have supported both. Y’all?

I guess that’s a way of saying: is arguing about the founding fathers moral purity what we need to talk about in 2020?

joshuaao and FrontRunner like this.
  16. B-Bob

did I? #tedious

joshuaao and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its embarrassing to admit in 2020, we used to get cheap electronics from child labor in 3rd world countries....but we were all ok with it. At least we were paying them $.05 more an hour than a slave.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

And yet the Framers went so far to make slaves 3/5 a person in order to get everyone to agree on this American government thing....

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I like you in the other forums, @DreamShook, but you are looking ridiculous here, in my opinion.

joshuaao, jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with some of these responses. The way people twist themselves into knots trying to make Mayo Pete not sound like a, problematic, ignorant, privileged person is mind boggling to me. I don't think there is anything damning I could post about this dude that someone won't try to defend or rationalize.

I'm not out here trying to trick anyone.

#680 DreamShook, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    FrontRunner likes this.