1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Pete Buttigieg responds to trump's tweet using 9/11 to attack Congresswoman Omar...

weakfromtoday, adoo, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A reminder of what "presidential" sounds like. Of really, at the core of that message, what an American sounds like.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Two parts to this:

1) It never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which the liberals will go to in order to win the Victim Olympics. Ilhan Omar minimizes what happened on 9-11 and then the liberals accuse Trump of using 9-11 against her? Absurd. Trump is using Ilhan Omar's own words against her. Fair game.

2) Why are liberals so easily duped by how someone sounds? Oh he sounds so smart! He's so empathetic! What is this illogical, emotional nonsense? Obama is a prime example. He sounded like he could be the next Morgan Freeman -- doing the vocals for the sentimental beginnings and endings of movie narrations. But he was the most ineffective and weak President of my lifetime. I don't give a rip how someone sounds. I care about how effective they are, and what their policy positions are. Trump scores incredibly high on both metrics.

GOOD DAY

Astrodome and KingCheetah like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Omar supports the 9/11 victims compensation fund, Republican jackasses like McConnell and Crenshaw don't. :rolleyes:

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think I heard Pete was polling third in Iowa. Seems like someone moderate Dems on the board would be rallying around but he’s not getting a lot of attention here for whatever reason.

6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I’m starting to warm up to him. Would like to know specific policies from him, but, otherwise, he has my attention.

Feels like a Buttigieg/Warren ticket would be an extremely strong ticket for the Dems that would check a lot of boxes.

7. adoo

adoo Member

iirc,

that's what they said about Obama, that a Clinton/Obama would check all the boxes​

#47 adoo, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big MAK, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right now, I would vote for Mayor Pete, and over Beto. Beto needs to spell out his stance on the issues. Mayor Pete is, and I like what he says.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Another candidate Trump would love to see take the Democratic nomination. America is not ready.

11. Senator

Senator Member

This is precisely because the "issues" to the far left are gay rights, abortion , which bathroom to use, islamophobia... things that do not effect the livelihoods of 85% of US citizens but make for good daytime television ratings

You have to hope the democrats understand this eventually and focus on the meaty issues - economy, economy, economy, corporate regulation leading to better climate change policies... no one has come close to Warren on things that will matter to people

Nook likes this.
  12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

True...

Deckard, B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is such a tiresome narrative. All the Democrats had to do was get Clinton elected. They had one job.

15. dmoneybangbang

It’s the Democrats fault for the GOP packing the courts!!!

B-Bob and No Worries like this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    If Mayor Pete wins, I ask you: Is America ready for First Gentleman Chasten Glezman? (Pete's husband)

GOOD DAY

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deckard, B-Bob and adoo like this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

i too am very impressed w Mayor Pete, who has done an excellent job introducing his narrative to the American public.

btw,
    he hasn't done much spelling out his stance either; it's still very early in the process.​

Deckard likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The President had one job, to nominate a Justice. The Senate had one job, to consider approving that nomination. The Democrats had no jobs. The only party to fail at what they're supposed to do was the Senate.

I agree. He comes off well, but I don't really know what his positions are when we get down to the brass tacks. Here's a random article about it, but it doesn't give you a good sense of his priorities.

Sure. And honestly I think Obama would have been a better president with the benefit of more seasoning. If it comes down to Pete or Trump, I don't even have to think about it.

Deckard likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

President Trump played along with a Howard Stern joke about placing a statue of Melania on Ground Zero. If it's so offensive to mention 9/11 in passing without "gravitas" each time you mention it, you would assume that Trump who is going after Omar also would speak out and not play along with the joke.

Trump also on the day of 9/11 said his tower was the tallest tower now in the financial district of NYC as a bragging right.

He also took 150 grand from a fund meant for SMALL business owners negatively effected by 9/11 in the area around ground zero. A alleged billionaire took funds meant for people affected by 9/11.

I doubt you even hold yourself to the same standards you place Omar. I garauntee you in the past 18 years used a pronoun to label 9/11. Not because you hate America, or think 9/11 wasn't a big deal but because it was convenient for you to reference the event in a quick manner.

If this is such a big deal to you to the point of the entire GOP demonizing her as a 9/11 sympathizer please tell us now what the standard operating procedure should be any time 9/11 is referenced. A 5 minute moment of silence? A prayer each time you mention it? Three descriptive adjectives that emphasize how bad 9/11 was?

biff17 likes this.