1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now the media is turning on Pete?

Or maybe they just like the drama which drives ratings?

I need to listen to this I wondered what Ball was up to I really liked her on MSNBC, I miss her and the gang.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

WatchingvInside Edition. Elizabeth Smart's (the kidnapping victim) dad came out the closet. Buttigieg is a great story for homosexuals.

My mother who is 80 had a friend she grew up with in fifth ward. They both went to nursing school in Denver and became registered nurses. The friend married an Air Force engineer. They had 3 kids. He finished his career at the Pentagon. After forty years of marriage he came out the closet. The wife who has since passed and had some mental issues already pretty snapped and went off the deep end

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I actually watched it.

KB has come a long way since she was on MSNBC she was a Obama worshipper and now she is slamming him.

All I am gonna say be wary of the messenger just because they are saying what you want to hear does not mean they believe it.

I still want to know who the **** did Pete piss off, why is there so much vitriol and anger about him.

I can understand his politics and he can come off looking a little shady but this anger is out of control.

The far left is becoming a lot like the tea party and anybody that is not fully on board its ok to slander them.

Stuff like this is hard to come back from, once it gets this bad there is no way you can vote for a guy, just like Hillary.

Yeah I can definitely see 4 more years of Trump.

Yeesh.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The point is that McKinsey is well known to be cutthroat.

NDA's allow companies, like the Trump org, to operate in secret. It's an intimidation tactic and if you don't play along they try to ruin your career.

Then Obama did a shitty job if that was what he thought he was running on. I give him credit for putting Warren at the CFPB but I take all that credit back and knock him down about fifty pegs for not prosecuting Wall Street and the ratings companies for their fraud and their nearly burning down the world's economy.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

McKinsey’s reputation 15 years ago was meaningfully better than it is now. Hell, even 5 years ago (when I was recruiting for jobs out of college) the company was viewed in a very different light.

It is fair to criticize the company for some of the abhorrent projects they’ve worked on. But it is ridiculous to act as if it reflects poorly on Pete - he joined the company well before these projects were undertaken and/or became public knowledge. Pete’s project list is benign and he has asked McKinsey to release the names of the companies he worked with.

I personally prefer a candidate that honors the agreements and contracts that he or she has entered. McKinsey is feeling enough public pressure to relent here and release the list. This is such a non-issue and one of the stranger attacks I’ve ever seen on a candidate hahaha.

jiggyfly, B-Bob and CometsWin like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Like you said, McKinsey's high profile (like this new one unearthed just today by ProPublica) list of embarrassing projects has made it the avatar of privilege & enablement of the very richest. McKinsey's job is more or less to aid and abet the concentration of wealth and power in the very richest and this isn't a recent revelation, it's been true for awhile.

The other issue is that it ties in with Mayor Pete's by-the-book meritocratic striver persona, it's all well and good that he's a high achiever but people are taking notice of the meritocracy trap and the realization that it was probably a sham anyway.

8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

You can frame any bank, consulting company, insurance company, hell, even any large corporation in this manner. Company A has made efforts to increase their stock price. Most people who own stock are already wealthy. Company A is aiding and abetting the concentration of wealth and power.

The millions of people who have worked for company A shouldn’t be disqualified from president, nor should their experiences and skills gained be discounted.

Now, when company A does immoral thing to increase its value (I.e. McKinzie), it is the public’s obligation to call them out on it.

Companies can do shitty things. Individuals can gain valuable skills while working at companies. Both can be true.

Seeking the role of president is audacious and I would really hope that serious candidates have demonstrated a level of ambition and success before doing so.

Being a Rhodes scholar, excelling in the private sector, forgoing the potential for earnings and moving back home to work for the public sector - these are all impressive accomplishments. So is managing to rally your constituents and defeat an incumbent in Congress as a 27 year old bartender. In both cases, these individuals have demonstrated they are exceptional.

Capitalism and meritocracy are not without faults, but that doesn’t mean you just get to dismiss them as shams.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No but we can ask questions about them, and particularly when choosing party leaders, they can give us substantive answers and have a real discussion, or they can cite an NDA and hope the discussion blows over.

I don't see anything wrong with asking the questions, parties should be able to debate what they stand for. McKinsey is inextricably intertwined with the elite privilege system that has failed us so badly in recent decades - it's fair game to ask questions about it.

mdrowe00, joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

totally agree. Most of us know, however, that some Bernie bros are just going to use McK as a auto-disqualifier and smear, versus having any interest in the answers to those questions.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A lot of businesses are cutthroat, what's your point?

He only worked there 3 years why should that disqualify him?

And now you are equating him working at McKinsey to the Trump org, really?

You have a revenge agenda and that's not what a president should be about IMO.

Deckard, joshuaao and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or certain people just don't like him taking shine away from their preferred candidate and because he is not catering to them.

WTF is a meritocracy trap and what does it have to do with this topic?

Every time I come in this thread there is another buzzword to knock him down.

I will read the link.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Preach Brotha.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cite an NDA?

So you think he is just lying?

This is why it's hard having a conversation with some of you.

Why can't he just be telling the truth?

And what he did at MckKnsey has been posted in this very thread so it's not some state secret what else must you know.

You want to use the same logic in judging Warren, she worked for some real doosey's as well.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a load of crap. How typical for Democrats or those who claim to vote for Democrats to tear down whatever candidate they don’t prefer. We don’t need trump’s lies and madness to defeat us. People like you do a fine job all on your own.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Mayor Pete was erotically spraying his supporters with whipped cream there would be many questions regardless of his ability to lie and/or tell the truth.

JuanValdez and jiggyfly like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

his kneeling supporters. "Sure, I worked for McKneesie -- I mean McKinsey! McKinsey, and the cream didn't mean anything other than good, clean Midwestern fun!"

#577 B-Bob, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    KingCheetah likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

19. CometsWin

What? No, I said NDAs allows corporations to operate in secret.

It's an accountability agenda. The eras of too big to fail and too big to jail need to come to an end.

20. CometsWin

I voted for Obama twice but tell me... why didn't anyone go to jail for almost destroying the economy? Do tell.