1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mayor Pete is going to be President Pete.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's my current favorite from the legion of white walkers of Democratic candidates, but he's so mellow that I don't know if he can hold our absurdist modern standard (Steven A Smith, Two Scoops, Limbaugh, etc.) for maintaining media attention.

Hakeemtheking and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Every time I listed to him interview, I've been more and more impressed with his ability to articulate his positions and relative to several different audiences:

Fox
    Pod Save America
    Breakfast Club

He does a great job of using his background to inform his perspective on several hot-button issues:
    • Younger - uses this to speak on climate change (will be alive to face the impact of this) and gun control (grew up in school shooting generation)
    • Mayor - experience building a coalition using practicality, solving problems with a finite budget, being a mayor of all people in his community
    • Military vet - can speak to how we re-integrate our veterans into society, the real cost of war
    • Openly gay - can speak on being a minority/outsider in his community, making social progress in conservative areas and still being loved across the aisle
    • Christian - does a great job of relating his faith to socially liberal policies (being compassionate for our fellow man with healthcare and accepting of LGBT and underserved communities)
    • From Indiana - successful Democratic mayor in conservative part of country, can speak to reviving a city hurt by automation and loss of industry

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Might be another guy really best suited to vice president. He's got a lot of good things going for him, but damn he's young and his resume is a bit thin. But if he had 8 years as vice president, plus his intangibles, he'd make a very good candidate. In the meantime, he could give a more seasoned headliner politician a different look that might have an appeal to demographics they aren't ordinarily attractive to.

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

More years of experience in government than Trump.
    More years of experience in the executive than Pence.
    More years of experience in the military service of any President since Bush 41.

His resume is not thin.

Hakeemtheking, joshuaao and dobro1229 like this.
  8. JuanValdez

Having better qualifications than Trump is hardly a feather in one's cap. Other Democratic candidates have more and more significant political experience than him. If he's the guy running against Trump, I'll vote for him. But there's some other folks I'd trust more to run against Trump, that's all.

9. No Worries

I get what you are saying. On paper, all of the Dem current and former Senators have deep federal government experience.

But.

If you look at the policies that these Dem Senators are pushing (while laudable) do not speak to the Obama+Trump voter in Middle America. These voters may have jobs (and maybe even good jobs) but they do not have job security. They have not seem wage growth in the last 50 years or so and likely fear that automation or offshoring will eliminate their jobs.

These Dem Senators are also not speaking to Millennials, whose job/career prospects are likely worse than their parents and who want something done about climate change starting now.

Someone like Mayor Pete can speak to both groups.

B-Bob and joshuaao like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Lightweight, paper thin resume, very few achievements in life, openly gay - let's keep it real, Booty is not a contender.

GOOD DAY

11. JuanValdez

That's fine. Vote for him if you like him. I'm not going to give him real consideration in the primary (unless he somehow manages to wow me) because of his age and experience. I expect he'll face similar prejudice from other old people like me. However, I do like him for the development league.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I think it's reasonable for people to be skeptical about putting someone with so little experience in charge and it should be a legitimate yellow flag for voters. But FWIW, I don't think there's much historical correlation between good presidents and experience.

joshuaao, No Worries and JuanValdez like this.
  13. biff17

biff17 Member

I think he could shine a light on the absurdity of it all all.

Would love to see him in debate with Trump it would be a bloodbath, you have to come back at him with humour IMO.

joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I believe the children are our future.

Dubious likes this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

i agree with this in a perfect world but I am starting to think as long as he is a good problem solver and knows how to pick good competent advisers then he would be ok.

my biggest fear is picking a candidate that would not excite the electorate or cause them to take there ball and go home like the Berny bros did in 2016.

I think he is the right mix of pragmatic and youth that most can get behind.

With that said he hasn't been really vetted yet.

16. JuanValdez

That may be true. Is there a historical correlation between general election success and experience?

17. No Worries

I believe I want to be the father of AOC's future children.

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Speaking of Bernie...

19. biff17

biff17 Member

That bodes well for him maybe he can keep the energy of that demographic.

I wonder if he might get labeled a sellout.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member