1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't argue that Yates gave the Texans a chance to win in a game that Hoyer simply didn't. I know you don't want to believe that, but it happened. He's been the guy at the helm for the 2 most impressive wins of the season and the offense managed to move the ball through the 2 best defenses the Texans have faced this season. I know you want to wish that all away or ignore it so that you can pretend that Hoyer is worth a damn. I get that you'll use the fact that he had marginal success against the Saints and had a good game against the Bills to justify what has been nothing but a career of failure.

I get you. It's okay.

Fortunately your opinion doesn't matter and fortunately Hoyer won't be the Texans problem this week.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yates throws a better long ball, no doubt. If that's what gives us a better chance to win, so be it. Throwing two good long balls a game doesn't result in teams having a better chance to win than a consistent game played by a quarterback with better awareness, elusiveness, and consistency, which Hoyer has. Not saying he's great, just that he's better than Yates. We'd both agree that both are NFL backups, at best.

If you want to say the two drives or whatever Yates was in for resulted in him giving us a better chance to win against the Bengals, so be it. The jury is out. It was a defensive game that was one by ONE touchdown. One touchdown that was the result of one of the best receivers in the league doing what he does best.

Yates played well against the Jets. The deep ball was his friend. Whether he or Hoyer gives us more in that game is anyone's guess. He had two great deep throws to Hopkins, which made his stats look great, and possibly won us the game. Although you could argue that the great game plan, including the wildcat, which led to a wide open touchdown pass by Shorts, and a rebirth of our run game had just as much to do with it.

All I'm saying is that Yates hasn't exactly shined it up in his limited playing time here. He's gotten the benefit of a great run game when he's played, which does wonders for any quarterback. He's hit on a few deep balls, which is wonderful. Otherwise, he's been worse than Hoyer. But if fans want to stake their hopes on connecting on five to ten deep balls a game in order to win them, I get that. I'm noy just talking about you, here, and I'm being sincere. Desperate times call for desperate things.

Let's just hope we draft someone like Wentz, if he's available, and only have to ride out this storm for another year or so.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hoyer has gotten the same run game.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What I was getting at was the Jets game where the wildcat was a new wrinkle no one had seen before, and the Jets were obviously not prepared for it. That opened up our regular run game, as well as the wildcat run game. Also, as others have said, play calling was much better because of it.

Overall, that Jets game plan was the best we've had all season.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Except it doesn't work because he is Mr. Checkdown.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. When teams don't respect your deep pass ability, they can play the run a lot better. The Pats essentially gave up the deep ball and would have given up several deep balls if the Texans had a QB competent enough to throw them. Belichick knew Hoyer wasn't a competent QB and came up with a gameplan to completely shut down the Texans offense knowing that the short pass and Nuk were the only things to be concerned by.

It's just a lot different when you have a QB that can throw deep passes to receivers and hit them in stride.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Says the guy who loves 5 y/a Mallet.

And you're wrong, Hoyer is decent in the intermediate range. Griffin had a couple in hand.

As nuke said: the guys who are one-on-one need to make plays. Hoyer targeted them (and I agree he wasn't 100% on the money) but they need to make plays.

On I forgot, this backup receiving corps is the best ever!

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mallett is yet another QB that defenses have to respect his deep ball ability a lot more so than Hoyer.

As to what Nuk said, Nate Washington would have had a long TD reception last night if only Hoyer were a competent enough QB to hit him at least a little bit in stride when he was wide open. Hell, that was a common theme. Guys were open, then the pass wasn't accurate enough to make anything happen. Your boy Hoyer is just garbage, it's okay, you can admit it.

Also, I don't see how you're even allowed to post about football given that you somehow STILL can't see that this year's Texans WR corps is the deepest and best they've ever had. Texans franchise history has almost nothing outside of Andre Johnson so this should be obvious to even the most casual of Texans fans yet you still struggle with it.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is hilarious.

First of all we had a couple years with Andre and Nuke together. That was our best WR corps. We had Owen Daniels those years too.

Secondly, no one respects Mallets deep ball ability. He can barely complete a checkdown.

For once in your life look at the stats:

Mallet averages 5 y/a while completing under 55% of his passes. That is pathetic deep ball ability