1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] MLS Championship Game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Major

Major Member

I don't think 8 on 8 or 6 on 6 is anything like PK's. And it wouldn't be like each team is alternating kicks. Sure, the scoring may be higher, but there's a whole lot more skill & teamwork involved than PKs, which is essentially the art of guessing.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Once again, you guys calling these PKs (penalty kicks) makes it sound like someone committed a fould inside the large box or there was a hand ball, when it is not the case. It is called FREE KICK from the Penalty mark. It is NOT a Penalty Kick. :cool:

In any case, here is my only reason for being in this this thread while my ROCKETS are playing:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-1390051113126648749&hl=en" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"> </embed>

It took a LONG TIME to upload. :eek:
    Hopefully the MLS doesn't find it and pulls it down like the NFL did my MARIO films. :(

3. deepellumrocket

Well, you need to argue that point with "Sports Genius" Charlie Pallilo, because that's what he was calling them after the game.

Although I agree that it sounds silly to call the Penalty Kicks when there has been no penalty.

4. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm putting together a Dynamo mix right now with highlights from the entire season. I need some song suggestions. I want to have good feel to it like that Rockets mix with the U2 songs. Since I don't know many songs like that I need some help.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The season started with Brian Ching's hat trick.

The season ended with Brian Ching's "penalty kick/free kick" thingie.

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

This is pretty cool!

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

8. halfbreed

I'm not sure if you're looking for more up tempo songs, but ESPN used U2's "City of Blinding Lights" and "Beautiful Day" in their World Cup commercials and it seemed to work pretty well. I don't pretend to be an expert in this area, though, so whatever you decide is probably better than what I would come up with.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

10. halfbreed

You'll have to allow a pop-up. I forgot to mention that the first time, apologies.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Oh how sweet it is!

[​IMG]

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Cool thanks. :)

13. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

Wow, that was an amazing game. The transition from utter disappointment to sheer ecstasy was unbelievable. We celebrated Ching's header harder than I've screamed in a long time. You could see it in De Ro's eyes after the Revolution scored, he was determined. Man, I still can't believe how amazing that game was. That place was rockin with Orange. The whole game was fun and the Pizza Hut Park Complex was beautiful. We were sharing hugs and high-fives with everyone around after Onstad's save. You could feel the arena shake after the eruption. Congrats to the Dynamo, I'm extremely proud to support them and their bid for a soccer-only stadium. GO ORANGE!

14. SwoLy-D

The last thing doesn't say it's "when they're tied", it says that it happens only if there is a foul at the end of the game.

Also, look at how FIFA continues to call the kicks TO DECIDE THE WINNER OF THE GAME in the official laws of the game... they're "KICKS FROM THE PENALTY MARK", they're not "Penalty Kicks"...
    http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Q&A2006_E.pdf#20 :cool:

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

16. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

I agree, what an amazing game. It was one of the best live sporting events I have ever been to in my life.

One thing though, I pray that Houston doesn't build a gigantic complex like Pizza Hut Park out in the suburbs of Houston. Having seen it first hand now, what a disaster waiting to happen. The stadium itself is nice, but the complex being so far from Dallas to accomodate 16 practice fields is dumb. Houston should build somewhere close to the center of Houston and ditch the complex idea.

17. DrLudicrous

Salt Lake is supposed to be building a stadium and complex in different locations, I think that's the way to do it. You can have the stadium in a good location (downtown) and still have the fields for extra income from tournaments. If they build the stadium in a suburb it's going to reduce the number of people willing to go to a game, not many people will drive from Katy to Kingwood for a game.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

SwoLy...I've been playing this game for 26 years. The rule book can say whatever it wants. I've been, along with damn near everyone I've ever played with, calling it "going to pk's".

WAY TO GO DYNAMO!

19. SwoLy-D

That still doesn't mean it's not wrong. It's fine that you and your pals have been calling them something different... that's cool, really, but it's about time you knew what they were really called. This is according to the FIFA, not me, BTW. ;)

Go DYNAMO!!!!!

20. DrLudicrous

Seriously, just let it go. Everybody calls it PK's and you whining about it won't change that.

Do we get lectured on leaving the "s" off of offside next?