1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 17, 2018.

1. HTown2017Champs

Maybe, but his struggles have been happening throughout the season. His entire season has been ups and downs.

2. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Great point.

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Even John McClain chiming in

4. rdsgonzo13

He's had a solid season.

You aren't going to win scoring one run. That's the major culprit for tonight's loss, not Rondon.

If your pitchers have to pitch a shutout for you to win, your offense just hasn't given you a chance to win.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know you keep harping on him not bringing in Pressly for the 8th... but he did bring him in with men on in the 7th, with their best hitter coming up, which at the time was the key moment of the game.

I guess you could leave him in for the 8th to face 3 more... but with him pitching yesterday, and with a fresh Rondon, I doubt this is where Hinch wants to start trying to get multiple innings out of 1 inning reliever types.

Rondon certainly didn't have it tonight. Many were defending him when Giles was still here... despite him leaving a lot of balls up in the zone. Almost everybody who saw that then felt there was some regression to be had.

Even then, he's still been a very good late inning guy... but Pressly has moved ahead of him (even including tonight, where Hinch trusted him to go against the top of their lineup), and Osuna didn't have to do much to take the closers role back.

6. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Rondon have given up a hit in 8 of his last 10 outing. Dude just can’t have a clean inning

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

At least have Pressly start the 8th. Rondon has rarely had clean innings and he just can't be trusted in close games at this point. Put you foot on these chump Mariners' necks. Just feel Hinch didn't give the team the best chance tonight with his decisions tonight.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

I know. But I do remember he had a few shaky games, like blowing a lead in the 6th or 7th at home against the Orioles (We still came back and won, though). Then he put up a strong May/June/July before the game against the Mariners where he blew the save with two outs in the ninth. My point is, mostly solid, but still ups and downs. Not perfect, but I'm definitely concerned.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wow, only first grand slam given up all year

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Commodore and roxallways like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you want him to pitch multiple innings?

If he gets into trouble in the 8th, you're now bringing in Rondon with men on base?

Hinch could have left in Sipp in the 7th, or brought in Harris/McHugh/Peacock... but he went with his best non-closer pitcher in Pressly to face their best hitter. Not sure what other killer instinct moves you want from him regarding bullpen management?

In the post-season, he'll probably go to to LMJ or Morton over Rondon.

13. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Hope Gattis is done for the year.

14. HTown2017Champs

Um, Pressly faced only two batters in the 7th. What he was saying, was, have him face the first guy in the eighth to bring him up to three men faced (his usual).

roxallways likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And then take him out? Let Rondon face the same guys he was going to face anyways? Again, if you want Pressly to stay in for the 8th as well, that's fine... I just think its not necessarily the time to start extending guys unless you literally have no other late inning options.

There are also numbers that play out on how guys do to start an inning vs entering mid-inning.

16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Right. Rondon is one of the last guys I want to see in a close game these days.

17. rdsgonzo13

There's only so many guys you can kick to the curb in your bullpen pecking order before headcount becomes an issue.

Yes, Osuna and Pressly are our 2 best relievers right now and Joe Smith and Sipp have been excellent post ASB.

However, Devenski is struggling big time post ASB and so is Colin McHugh lately. Will Harris has been better lately, but can you really trust him given he's been so mediocre his whole career?! High level trust in 2018 Brad Peacock?!

If you say let me avoid McHugh, Harris, Peacock, Devo and Rondon in higher leverage spots, you probably are going to tax the above 4 pitchers a bit too much in what will hopefully be a deep posteason run.

I'd still trot Rondon out over Peacock, Harris and Devo for sure. Rondon vs. McHugh is a tough call...maybe matchup specific.

Rondon SUCKED tonight but he was also insanely unlucky in the Diamondbacks game he was credited with 2 runs allowed and a loss with the fluky triple by Jay and the blooper right after.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just trying to deflect attention away from the shitty franchise he has to cover.

Malaya likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You did Rondon a favor by not mentioning his walks.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member