1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the Astros were to go a modest 6-7 over this stretch, the A's would have to go 10-2 just to tie.

I know nobody should be letting up on the gas, but a 5 game deficit with 12 left to play is not an easy task to overcome.... unless the Astros decide to go on a season long losing streak.

desihooper and RockFanFirst like this.
  2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Well stated. Thank you for that.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Tonight and next Sunday.

AB423 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't easy....... but I would feel a lot better if they let up on the gas a little in 4-5 games if they still have the same size lead.

This is essentially the last realistic shot the A's have to catch the Astros..... if we go 4-1 in the next 5, we can likely start setting up for the post season sans a wildcard game.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Like you said earlier last week, the Astros-Dbacks / A's-Rays series would very well dictate the likelihood of this division race's ending.

Both teams played quality opponents, and the Astros gained another game.

I don't see the Astros pressing in any way right now. Bullpen is extremely well rested thanks to Hinch's stubbornness to not pitch guys 3 days in a row, and having guys like James/Peacock/McHugh who can take care of multiple innings. I also don't see anything drastic with any of the position players... other than Correa still struggling.

Looking at last year's final series of the season against the Red Sox, Hinch pretty much played the first games like a tuneup for the playoffs. Granted, some of that was because they knew that the Red Sox would be their first round opponent, but I foresee him doing something similar with the last series of the season, even if they're clinched.

While everybody loves rest... its not easy to go from playing almost everyday for 6 months, then you take a full week off, then the most you will play after that without an off day is 3 days in a row.... in a pressure cooker environment.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros did well against the Diamondbacks, especially the timely hitting. That was a series where they could have lost all three had their bats not shown up. Very encouraging series overall.

I know none of us want to jinx it, but the Astros at close to healthy are just clearly better than the A's. I really like the A's bullpen, and it may even be better than ours, but that is about it.

Correa is struggling and Altuve is not himself. Springer isn't hitting for power but still finding a way to contribute. I am more optimistic for Altuve and Springer than I was. With Correa, you have to keep trotting him out there unless it is 100% a physical issue.

Tyler White has saved the second half of the season on the offensive side..... over a full season would be at 300 avg 39 homers 120 rbi with a 985 OPS and 6 WAR. Those are near MVP numbers....... and he replaced Gattis.

Last year I remember our guys being more rested, but I could be remembering wrong. I don't think that Hinch will shut it all down, but I could see someone like Verlander getting skipped a start or only going 75 pitches.

Agreed, especially with our feast/famine offense. If our offense is in a funk, we could lose to the Indians and their dominant rotation fairly quickly. Likewise, if we knock around Kluber it could be over in a sweep for us.

Nick likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I felt part of the inconsistency in the offense was in part due to all the off days in early August... which doesn't necessarily bode well for the playoffs, but again, unless guys need the rest due to overuse injury, I'll take their chances that they can play everyday.

Nook likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My wife and I will be there too. Hoped that Kemp was starting but I guess he will have a pinch hit game winning hit instead.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Time to seal the deal! Please Astros, go on a run OR stay on the present run and put the A's away.

10. Buck Turgidson

Good on ya.

We need to drop a mother****ing soupbone on these guys.

11. HTown2017Champs

No White, or Kemp. :(

12. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Gattis really shouldn't be starting any games

Nook and HTown2017Champs like this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

14. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Oh look, Gattis pulled the ball to the left side of the infield and hit into a GIDP. He never does that

Nook and mick fry like this.
  15. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Why is Gattis in the line-up? He's garbage.

16. SemisolidSnake

That speedy 4-6-3 double play was a great thing, and much more great because it ended the obligatory inning with the Astros' promotions chick. I always hate her clunky sales pitch innings.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Gattis may be the hitting equivalent of medical waste since June, but he also cannot field a position competently. Wait, I did that wrong.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all about some hateful negative mofos!!
    I bet it's just a joyful time watching a game with you sumb!+¢π£$

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He smoked it though

#progress
    Trust in Hinch........ except when he PR's Marisnick for White

20. HTown2017Champs

No-no broken up! Then the shutout ends!

Houstunna likes this.