1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] Kristen Gillibrand for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 15, 2019.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... or indictment of the current President. Anymore, are there really any standards of behavior or experience that would disqualify a person from running for President.

#22 No Worries, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Gillibrand is fine, out of the manic depressive, active-shooter brown shirts who actually voted for Trump you will need to shave off the Ohioans, Michiganders, Wisconsinites and Pennsylvanians who are momentarily sane enough to realize their mistake but still need some kind of demographic affinity. Whether or not she wins the nomination she will color the debate and rhetoric towards moderation or whatever. Her announcement is probably clunkier than she hoped because everyone else is announcing very prematurely.

#23 Dairy Ashford, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gillibrand loves NASCAR, who knew? :rolleyes:

In Iowa, Gillibrand Uses Small-Town Roots to Sell Electability

[​IMG]
    Senator Kirsten Gillibrand on Saturday visited The Livery Deli in Boone, Iowa, a town of about 12,500 people. In the early days of her presidential campaign, she has emphasized her familiarity with rural America.CreditCreditRachel Mummey for The New York Times
    By Shane Goldmacher
    Jan. 19, 2019

BOONE, Iowa — Senator Kirsten Gillibrand represents one of the biggest and bluest states in America, anchored by the nation’s largest urban metropolis. But as she made her way across snowy Iowa during her first visit as a presidential candidate, Ms. Gillibrand put far more emphasis on her upstate New York roots, bipartisanship and small-town political ancestry.

She talked about her love of RVs and her family vacation last summer to see a Nascar race — and suggested she could make an RV trip in Iowa this year. She spoke of her faith and finding common ground with Republicans. And she harked back repeatedly to her first run for Congress, in 2006, when she ousted a Republican incumbent in a seat that her pollster warned she couldn’t win because there were “more cows than Democrats.”

“I grew up in upstate New York, a community not unlike this one,” Ms. Gillibrand said as she introduced herself at a house party in Sioux City on Friday evening. Of her first race, she said, “It was a two-to-one Republican district, a lot like the district we’re in today.”

The next morning, inside a cafe in Boone, she told the dozen or so people there: “I really appreciate being in a rural place. I’m from a rural place. I grew up in a rural place. I represented a rural place for Congress.”

At a political moment when many Democratic voters are desperate to find a winner who can beat President Trump, Ms. Gillibrand’s emphasis on her past representing a conservative House seat seemed an effort to ensure she is not pigeonholed as just another blue-state Democrat, or someone who does not understand rural America.
    more at the link

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well that's inconvenient

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, just about the entire party is having to disavow their beliefs from before Trump Derangement Syndrome took over

cml750, BruceAndre and Astrodome like this.
  8. No Worries

Tell me more.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. jcf

jcf Member

I know this will never happen, but it would be great if we could all quit playing the great charade. Politicians lie and over promise to get elected. Period.

Wouldn't it be great if at least some of time could tell the truth?

I would love to hear: "I knew Mexico would never pay for the wall. That was simply propaganda to get you to vote for me."

I would also love to hear: "Ignore my earlier beliefs, I have shifted to get elected."

or from AOC: "My "goals" are impossible, but they are aspirational and should be viewed that way."

Instead, we get treated with complete bs, have to determine what we think they really mean, and go from there.

I worry that a completely honest candidate could never get elected. It is a pity but one we apparently deserve.

DFWRocket and AB like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Ethics complaint filed against Gillibrand for tweeting a fundraising appeal during the State of the Union address:

The Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust (FACT), a non-partisan ethics watchdog group, filed a complaint with the Senate Select Committee on Ethics on Monday against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY). At issue is the senator's using "footage of herself on the House floor during the President’s State of the Union address to improperly solicit campaign donations," the group explained in a new statement.

During Trump's second State of the Union speech last Tuesday, Gillibrand's Twitter account posted a message asking followers to “chip in $5 so we can put an end to this.” It included official House video footage of a joint session of the United States Congress. FACT cited federal law and Senate ethics rules that both prohibit the use of taxpayer-funded resources that cannot be used for campaign or other political purposes to include “broadcast coverage and recordings of the House floor proceedings.”​

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortn...s-ethics-investigation-of-gillibrand-n2541171

12. No Worries

I see that Gillibrand is pandering to the MAGA voters.

Rashmon and JuanValdez like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's another problem of democracy.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you know your campaign is in trouble when you accuse Rachel Maddow of echoing Republican talking points. :eek:

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D., N.Y.) dismissed liberal MSNBC host Rachel Maddow and other media members's coverage of her prior conservative views, rejecting their characterization in an interview published Wednesday as 'talking points from the Republican Party.'"​

https://freebeacon.com/politics/gil...epublican-party-when-she-detailed-flip-flops/

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's fascinating to see the different standards for Trump and other people.

18. No Worries

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Gillibrand is first 2020 candidate to offer written pledge never to seek, accept or weaponize stolen or hacked information from foreign adversaries, like Russia"

"like Russia"?? "like" is for comparisons, whereas "such as" grammatically signifies inclusion. Is she implying she'll accept hacked information from Russia? :p

like_suchas.png

1335127579284_1693016.png

20. No Worries

No one expects ... The Grammar Police Inquisition.

Os Trigonum likes this.