1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Kamala Harris for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 21, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

2. biff17

biff17 Member

I would bet that 70% of all politicians do this.

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It has been in California politics since the 90s.

If you remember when Sprewell choked Carlesimo (this is a basketball forum, after all) he's the one who famously said "his boss may have needed choking."

Willie Brown was and is an extremely important person in California politics. As a state legislator he called himself "Ayatollah of the Assembly." He is very popular in San Francisco, but is more controversial in the state as a whole. He's known for his fancy cars and party lifestyle, $6,000 Brioni suits, and long history of of corruption: multiple FBI investigations, and a habit of hooking up loyal friends, and whatever hot young girl he was dating at any moment to cushy city or state jobs, or well-funded non-profits he was affiliated with. When Kamala Harris was dating him (and about 30 years his junior -- with talk of getting married), he appointed her to two state boards.

She broke up with him shortly after he became mayor of San Francisco, and gets extremely angry when anyone brings him up because his reputation as a corrupt sugar-daddy doesn't exactly square up with her image. The speculation at the time was that what benefited her rise would be a hinderance to moving higher in office, and dumping him was a calculated decision. A lot of people in California have never taken her seriously and her reputation as a corrupt, gold digging opportunist has pretty much followed her entire political career.

So yes, it a hell of a talking point, and an old and well established one, and yes, it is quite possible to sleep your way to high political office if you are sleeping with the right person.

As you can imagine, there are many highly doubtable allegations that try to take this relationship to even more sordid places, but the known facts on their own are a vulnerability that will surely come up now that she is running for president. I expect the Democratic Party leadership to support her, as she is extremely loyal to donors and is a team player in the way that party politics matter most. My guess is that anyone echoing the bimbo allegations of the early 2000s will be decried as misogynists -- that seems like the obvious defense.

#63 Deji McGever, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    El_Conquistador likes this.
  4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Which is why people should do what I did so that they ****ing stop.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Society today desperately yearns for another round of liberal BIMBO ERUPTIONS. Bill Clinton's women, Barack Obama's choir director, and now Willie Horton's side piece.

GOOD DAY

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's a shaky game to try to separate the terms liberal and progressive. 10 people could give you reasons why they aren't the same and they would all say 10 different things, and some contradictive at that. If you want to be nuanced better to use a more specific term or no terms at all IMO.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must be one of the poor unfortunate souls who doesn't understand words with multiple meanings, unwilling to consider vernacular and context when using a word, or perhaps even has inaccurately appropriated a word from its original intent.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Who gives a ****.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We can never have one of these become President.

10. adoo

adoo Member

you need to stop making up convenient false claim.

if Willie was 1/2 as important as you conveniently claim, he'd have been able wield his "supposed"
    political importance / influence to avert a recall of the sitting Democratic Gov of California. The
    Calif voters recalled the sitting Dem Gov, then elected Arnold Swartzeneger.

In both statewide elections that K Harris won, she won the endorsement of both US senators
    (Weinstein and Boxer) and Nancy Pelosi​

you need to stop making up convenient false claim.

in Calif politics, No Calif voters are generously suspicious of So Calif politicians running for statewide elections, and vise versa. Kamala Harris is from No Calif. In both elections that she won, her top opponents were from So Calif. K Harris beat both opponents in their home turf.

Sarah Palin, the Alaskan quitter, cindy-hyde smith, the bimbo from Ms and Betsy DeVoies,
    Trump's hand-picked bimbo from Mi

BIMBA ==> DJ Trump, Fredo Trump, Rudi G

#70 adoo, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  11. body slam

body slam Member

fun fact pro wrestler Kamala's last name is also Harris

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

So, you are saying that because Willie Brown couldn't prevent the recall of Gray Davis, he's not an extremely important person in California politics? If I follow, you are saying that extremely important people in California politics don't exist, as Gray Davis was recalled. I remember voting in that election.

What does that have to do with anything I said? It's hardly surprising since I already said she is ardently orthodox to party positions. But as long as you are bringing it up, Senator Dianne Feinstein who I think you meant, has had bad blood with her ever since the since the Espinoza shooting.​

First, How is a statewide election "home turf" for a politician from Southern California? Is Sacramento no longer in Northern California? Did it get moved by an earthquake since I left?

Second, most of the criticism of her political career began in San Francisco, and was made in the San Francisco press. The LA Times started reporting about her in the early aughts largely because of her conspicuous past with Brown and the huge disconnect between her rhetoric and her abysmal conviction rate as a prosecutor. That I mention it will be likely exhumed in her presidential aspirations is not a "convenient false claim" as much as it is a reasonable expectation.

Third, my post was only a reply to asking how someone can sleep their way to statewide office. If I opened up the record on her support for-profit prisons, or denying parole to low-risk offenders in order to preserve California's $1 an hour firefighting crew, or her deliberate use of the term "sex trafficking" with "human trafficking" in order to criminalize prostitution and shutdown classifieds for having ads for adult services by charging the publishers for "pimping." If I went through her abysmal record, I'd be writing for weeks.

Harris owes her career to Willie Brown, a fact that is readily apparent as she is easily triggered every time his name is brought up. She's ruthlessly and transparently careerist, with a huge disparity between her rhetoric and her results (the numbers don't lie). If there is any consistency in her it is her judgement to choose a monied interest over the welfare of her constituents every time. That her campaign slogan is "For the People" is laughably absurd. There is not a single choice (yet at least) in the Democratic Party's 2020 presidential-hopeful cohort that is worse.

jcf likes this.
  13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Call me an idealist, but I'm not interested in pyrrhic victories. I'd prefer elections not to be reduced to "my corrupt gold-digging narcissist is better than your corrupt gold-digging narcissist."

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The problem is not new but it is real.The only solution is to use consciously literate and original English construction to describe ideas.

15. adoo

adoo Member

in a roundabout way, you agree that ur convenient claim is baseless

it counters your convenient false claim that she won because of Willie Brown, conveniently ignoring the fact that

the 3 most powerful women in Calif politics endorsed her​

you do know about the regional rivalry between So Cal and No Cal, no?

Despite that divide,

For the Calif AG election
    the SF County DA K Harris beat the LA County DA Cooley in his home turf in So Calif

For the US Senate Race
    No Calif's K Harris beat So Calif's 3-term Congress woman Lorena Sanchez in her home turf of Orange County​

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

How? Please explain in full English sentences so there is no ambiguity in interpretation.

She wouldn't be on the ballot if she hadn't been Willie Brown's girlfriend years before and appointed to state boards that helped her make her make the connections to build her political CV. What part of nepotism do you not understand?​

I worked at UCLA. I've been to plenty of Dodgers games. I was a street vendor for 8 straight Rose Parades.

These were statewide races in California...against Republicans. And besides, it's not as though this was where her political career started. She would have never been known in the California Democratic Party establishment if it wasn't for years of being Willie Brown's arm candy. Maybe she could have found her own way to do it had she not dated Willie Brown, but that's not what she did.

17. adoo

adoo Member

wrong again.

Lorena Sanchez is a Dem; she received the 2nd most votes, statewide as well as her home turf of Orange County, for the US Senate race

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Here's your trophy, adoo. You have successfully refuted the entire narrative of Kamala Harris owing her career to Willie Brown and her well-worn history of duplicity. ur keybrd warier skillz are ace m8. Deji McGever falls in faint.
    [​IMG]

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sorry if you're confused easily. I am taking the term back from people who don't actually base their decisions on principle and think that liberal means just wanting to change everything. The term has been hijacked by the worst elements. The bitter, resentful, self-hating Americans who honestly shouldn't even call themselves American these days since they swipe at it every chance they get.

The term also doesn't mean blindly supporting democrats who have gone off the deep end.

So tell me, what does being liberal mean to you? (honest question, without pulling it from a dictionary tell me what you think it means)

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I take it some people here like this candidate.