1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Houston Texans Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rox225, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ok, so last night Vince Young and Reggie Bush put the exclamation point on the Texans draft day mistake....but it is time to move on. It is time to start looking to the offseason where the Texans can make some moves to reenergize this franchise to some degree.

They'll have plenty of options to go about improving this team. First there is the #7 pick, approximately, that they'll have in the draft. I say they draft Adrian Petersen or Darren McFadden if available. They should also try to pick up another late first rounder through a trade with hopes of landing a guy like JaMarcus Russell if he's still around.

The second option they have is through FA: These guys will be 2007 free agents and are all at positions the Texans can use help at.

First, there are two guys at the OL positions that would be big improvements.

(1) Max Starks from the Pittsburgh Steelers
    (2) Leonard Davis from the Arizona Cardinals

Both guys are still young and big offensive linemen.

Second, Dunta Robinson needs another cover mate and that could come in either of these FA's.

(1) Nate Clements is a young guy and big improvement over Petey Faggins who should be a nickelback.

(2) Ken Hamlin is another young, hard hitter but has better cover skills than Earl or C.C. Brown.

Third, Mario Williams is going to get doubled if there is not a big threat on the other end so either one of these guys could help.

(1) Dwight Freeney had an injury plagued season last year that could cut down his price a little, but with him and Williams that's a dangerous pass rush.

(2) Jared Allen is a big d-lineman with a bright future and a big part of the reason the Chiefs defense is much improved.

Fourth, DeMeco Ryans is a future pro-bowler if he doesn't make it this year as a rookie, but an atheletic OLB could make him even better.

(1) Adalius Thomas is a physical specimen and a atheletic freak. He could be a big injection for that LB unit.

(2) Cato June is a tackling machine and high energy, enough said.

The Texans will have a little over 14 mil to make off season moves, maybe more depending on what happens with David Carr. Either way, I hope he is done and they try to make some big moves by signing at least one of these impact fa's.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all drafting Mario was not a mistake.
    The guy is 21 years old and playing with plantar faciatis.
    Yet he still commands double teams all the time.

We have a defense that should dominate next year.

Our offensive line has been decimated...but

We get Spencer back next year...
    Along with Winston coming into his own.

Flanagan returns from injury.

T.J.will be back next year and should perform well.

Ryans should be defensive rookie of the year.

The way I see it..we need a cornerback and another offensive lineman.
    I don't think the Olineman needs to be a high end first rounder though.(probably not even a 1st)

I have faith we will land the RB we need later.

I would either trade down for these two or take the conerback very high.

Believe it or not Kubiak and the Texans are going to get to the playoffs next year if we stay healthy.

And I will match any tipjar bets along these lines barring major injuries.

#2 Plowman, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  3. binhie

binhie Member

At the time, drafting Mario over Reggie and Vince seemed like a logical choice. They were expecing DD to come back healthy and Carr to be improved with a new QB oriented coach and improved OLine

Fastfoward to today, Mario is still a good pick. But not as good as Reggie is starting to get and VY has been since he started. Those guys are playmakers and Mario has seldom been one. All three should become superstars.

In the offseason, I'd guess the Texans would go after a quality vet QB (ie Plummer) to challenge Carr and eventually cut Carr if he doesn't win the starting job. Also they'll probably cut DD if he isn't healthy entering next season.

With their record, odds are they'll get a pick good enough where Peterson will still be around. I seroiusly doubt they'd draft a QB with an early pick

Hopefully they'll draft secondary help along with seeking vet help like Ken Hamlin. And perhaps sign a good oline FA. Freeney and Allen are dreams

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

thats a bit overstated ...no?

anyway...2 words...Brady Quinn

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

7 words...Brady Quinn is going to the Raiders.

Besides, do we really want to draft a QB in the first round? We've done that before and....well, I think it's safe to say that it's not going so well....

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I would agree that it's probably overstated, but I think they have the pieces to have a very very good defense in a couple of years. They need a big DT to take some pressure off of Mario. It can't be easy when you have two starting DL who weren't even in the NFL at the beginning of the season.

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i want in FA are:

Nate Clements or Asuante Samuel
    Adalius Thomas
    Justin Smith
    Eric Steinbach (very athletic
    If theres no possibility of not getting Peterson, I would go after Michael Turner from San Diego

Stark and Davis don't fit at all in the zone-blocking scheme people!

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Needs, in order of decreasing importance:

1. Free Safety
    2. DT
    3. Quarterback
    4. Cornerback
    5. O-line Depth
    6. Running back
    7. Outside LB

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

1. DL
    2. CB
    3. OL
    4. OL
    5. OL
    6. OL
    7. OL

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and the return of Domanick Davis...other than that great post

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Drummer2k, you forgot about that cadaver who is running the Raiders. From where I sit, it's even money that the Raiders could just as easily draft Troy Smith. Nothing the Raiders do surprises me anymore.

12. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

When I say draft day mistake I don't mean that Mario isn't going to be a star or game changer, I just mean that in a draft with Reggie Bush and Vince Young it was a mistake to draft MW #1 overall.

You know, if the Texans had this insight back in 2002 they probably would have done it all over again and drafted Julius Peppers #1. But these are all "what if's" now, it's time to move on and right the wrongs to some degree.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If the Texans don't draft Quinn I will hate them forever. ;) I will not become a fan of the Oakland Raiders, however. Wow, any other team but them would be fine I think. Even Detroit would be okay because it would at least make that early Thanksgiving game interesting...

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Two words - Kevin Kolb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

First off it isn't the off season so this is too early to call it the "Official" thread (even though I know what you're getting at). If you want to discuss possible draft choices there are 2-3 other threads already started. If you want to talk about potential FA's then feel free to start a thread called "Potential FA's".