1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

How would Morey ever replace his mouthpiece?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't. He's done too well otherwise to get fired for that. Plus, he is a draw for potential FAs. No one is hoping to one day play for Chris Finch.

Honestly, even if he were as bad as some people claim him to be he'd still be worth keeping through 2015 just for his Kevin Love connections.

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Has 4 time outs, but waits until lead drops to 4 to call a time out to put Harden or Howard in. Sigh - only McHale.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

How dare you! McHale is God! You know nothing about basketball! Or, at least, Jesus, the Son of God returned!

Signed,

jtr

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If this team doesn't get past the 2nd rd, it would be a big disappointment but knowing Houston, we will make excuses on how gsw is better than us. I said it before the season here, 55 win team fool proof/idiot proof. Talent wise, we can make it to the finals no exceptions.

1 person likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just beat Miami...

FIRE MCFAIL!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!!

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just beat Miami...

Sign Mchale!!!! To a contract extension. I'm happy for the rest of my life. Woooooooooooooooooooohh

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

If we scored 4 less points tonight, this thread would have exploded.

But we won, so McHale gets a pass...for now...

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

He goes from this awesome indispensable coach (in your not-so-distant posts) to "Morey's mouthpiece" (which he is)?

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm not n drugs anonymous breh. this team has talent. I wasn't nowhere near this high on the rockets when we had scola Hayes....

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People tend to complain about the coach's x's and o's abilities and complain that all he does is iso Harden and make him make something happen whenever the Rockets don't come out of a timeout in those end of game situations with a wide-open shot.

Tonight, Miami was down 3 with 13 second left, and they ended up with a contested Lebron heave out of the time out. Sure, they set some screens for Lebron before and after he caught the ball, but the Rockets defended properly and ended up switching Dwight on him for the contest.

Spoelstra is generally recognized as a top good x's and o's guy (who obviously didn't get a coaching job due to his Hall of Fame playing career), and he didn't manage to an easier shot out of the timeout. Goes to show you that sometimes the defense just do a good job and you are not gonna get anything good no matter what play you draw up.

12. valorita

valorita Member

I am not saying mcHale is a bad coach, but watching the team makes me wonder if having a popovich/phil jackson/or thibadeux would move us up another tier.

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

McHale although stubborn, is improving when given time. We see far less Harden ISO and forced Howard post ups as we are deeper into the season. Hope he and our team will be tuned up for playoff.

14. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Well those guys are either retired or employed. What's your point?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

42-19. I was against the hire, and he drives me crazy at times, but gotta say it... scoreboard.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Coaching at the NBA level is all about how players in that organization respond to the coaching, and how well they produce for that team under that coach.

The name and the resume of the coach are just superficial items to look at on the surface. Who knows, the players might react poorly to the coaching of a well regarded coach, or they could respond better than they do with McHale even and dominate the league with a 75 win season... who knows.

What we do know is that the players are performing at a very high level under McHale, they are responding to McHales coaching (see Jones' bounce back performances after a noted "talk to" from McHale), and the system they have in place is looking to be ideal in order to put the best players on the Rockets in the best possible situation to maximize their abilities.

So are their better coaches out there from a superficial level... absolutely

Are there better coaches & systems for this group of players???.... maybe... maybe not

However this is the coach the Rockets are rolling with now, and doing pretty damn well under neath. There is no reason at this point to even carry on this meaningless conversation until we see how they perform in the playoffs and throughout the final stretch of the season.

If its not broken.... you know....

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I thought this was interesting, in light of all the criticism McHale gets for his "play harder!" soundbites. At 15:30, Jalen talks about how/why the coaching snippets we hear via the broadcast don't tell you anything about the quality of the coach.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w1CvytNqkGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This. Thread. Just. Won't. Die.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You do realize that posting in it only bumps it, yes?

20. SirKen

SirKen Member

I don't even know what to say. Where did I mention that Morey is incompetent? You are something else, really.