1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first ones in the twitter or all fine. The last one is completely false. It is a huge stretch to assume that Warren engineered the post debate scene.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I doubt she engineered it b/c it's a bad look for her.

Basically: watch, America, how she treats her friends. I've been thinking about her, and the right term for her is hectoring. Whether she's talking to fellow Senators, or colleagues, or voters, or perceived enemies... she's always hectoring. I wonder if she has people in her inner circle (exists?) who can stand up to her.

She strikes me as more and more Trump-like, even though she's much smarter and I actually agree with a lot of her policy ideas (not all).

DonnyMost, da_juice, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't disagree with it, but I view it in a slightly different light. Because she used to be a Republican and was extremely business-friendly as well as a woman who's risen to great heights both academically and politically, I feel like that is why she takes such strong stances with people. I think she became used to being dismissed, overlooked, not taken seriously, so she learned to be forceful and strong. It is a defense mechanism. Sometimes she probably takes it too far or is too quick to adopt it. But I don't think she would have gotten to where she has without it.

That's my more positive spin on having noticed basically the same thing.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think calling people “Trump like” is getting out of hand. People try to do it all the time with Bernie, now Warren. No dem candidate is remotely like Trump.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This post is Trump-lite.

joshuaao and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. B-Bob

yeah, fair enough. “Trump-like qualities” is fair though, in my view. Like saying she knows better than leading economists, etc. her way or the highway. Don’t mistake me: she’s not a compulsive liar and hasn’t surrounded herself with [edit: crooks, cheats, felons, thugs] and doesn’t have a line of sexual assault accusers. So not much like Trump in the big picture.

#1407 B-Bob, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

never mind

#1408 Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. B-Bob

oh whatever. thugs, then? if you're sensitive to the word, I will go redact it, but do the same in your quote.

going to s.n. was not really necessary, was it? don't think these are in the same orbit, but I know transgressions can be appealing these days.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that was a pretty lame attempt at humor. sorry about that

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You still think this?:D

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It shows that you are out of touch about MSNBC most anchors are very positive about Bernie, this was nothing new she has been speaking like this since 2015.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is how I look at her, she has terrible advisors.

She was once my top candidate but she severely stumbled with the M4A question.

Made me look at her totally different.

joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

LOL. I was so close to that being true. If had just been the debate then, yes. But those pesky post-debate hot mics had to ruin everything.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

More good news for most Americans whose wealth and income has stagnated for close to 40 years. Education, healthcare and greater economic security will be on the agenda-- even if the donor class disaproves.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-democrats-poll-idUSKBN1ZG00D

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has been steadily climbing in popularity this year and is now tied with former Vice President Joe Biden for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination among registered voters, according to a Reuters/Ipsos national poll.

16. Major

Major Member

It's funny you keep posting Bernie polls in random non-Bernie threads. But just to be clear, you think he's going to win the nomination?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Man at this point I don't know who's going to win the nom .... its a virtual crap-shoot.

Any of Biden , Bernie , Pete , Princess Wigwam , Klobuchar or Bloomberg could come away the winner. Some have better odds than others .... but it wouldn't surprise me if any one of them were to win.

The question is - Can the eventual nom beat Trump ?? Honestly I wonder if any of them beat him.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd make the argument (admittedly based on anecdotal experience livining and working in DC for a Democratic based organization) that there is a similar effect about Warren that Trump had with certain demographics.

Just like there were a far amount of early Trump voters who were pissed off middle aged white dudes looking to spite the other; Ive seen the same thing here in the DC area (where I live now) and the NYC metro area (where I'm from) with a lot of rich or upper middle class younger white women. **** even the term Bernie bro reeks of 20 and 30 somethings crying about frat boys and the "patriarchy" robbing Queen Warren of being the first female President. Id go as far to say a lot of them are forner Hilary supporters looking for "revenge"after seeing her lose the nomination in 2008 anf the general in 2016 to a man.

**** like this is why Democrats lose. Everybody wants to be the special snowflake and play their victim card At least when the GOP throws tantrums they win . Democrats are so up their own ass about virtue signaling and appeasing every ****ing ethnic group, sexuality, and gender to the point that they can't even vote for each other when they AGREE.

At this point, after working on different Democratic campaigns and getting mowhere besides watching pissing contests about which side is the bigger victim (spoiler: almost everyone is getting ****rd over) I ****ing wish I was a Trump guy. I'd lose all sense of self respect and wouldbe unable to sleep- but the pay is better, the women are hotter, and he's probably going to win because of the incumbency afvantage, strong economy, and Dem infighting.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree. And if/when the Democrats lose, there will be a much larger emphasis placed on things they couldn't change and not on enough of things they could change.

da_juice likes this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I like to think you all know me well enough (even if none of you know me personally) to know that I'm solidly a Democrat...or at least what WAS a democrat about 10 years ago.

A fair amount of my friends (mostly my male friende but also some of my fenale friends) are in this weird spot. We're left leaning; often fiscally moderate and what I would call socially tolerant. We're not a monolithic group by any means- some are Libertarians, some are anarchists, the occasional theocrat or monarchist who we usually ignore (I've got a VERY elcectic group of friends).

Regardless, it seems to me- on the East Coast at least- there's two camps:
    - People who are radically left on social issues but LOVE the economic status quo. These are the ones Fox loves to report on. The ones my parents & cousins make fun of me for. The people that want 35 genders and tell me that everyone is bisexual. The ones that don't understand the logistics of a full on gun grab or why it wouldn't work.
    - Full on Trump people who like him because he "says it like it is". My mom thinks Trump has dementia, is a racist, and is hurting the country. She always tells me she likes Bloomberg but likes Trump because and I quote "I'm tired of apologizing for not speaking Spanish or saying Merry Christmas."

Admittedly I dont live at home; but in the 25 or so years Ive known her; I never once sa w anyone get mad at my Mom for either.

On a similar, my cousin's husband owns a small business making industrial saw blades in the Midwest. And believe it or not; him and I agree on a lot politically. However; he's a big Trump guy but is losing a TON of money because of steel tarriffs. His justification? "He's willing to pay the price to MAGA (or KAGA or whatever it is now). Like my Mom or even my very liberatarian roommate he's more into "owning the Libs" than benefitting himself or the country. I know a lot of educated people in DC (some of whom have worked in the WH) who think he's a moron but like him for the same reason.

This **** can't lost. We have one party hijacked by a narcisstic billionaire with a very vocal group of core believers amd the rest of his party liking him because he makes other people mad.

We have a nother party that's growing increasingly self righteous and- like Trump and the GOP- are pandering the lowest common denominator.

I know the term silent majority has a different meaning: but I feel like there really is a silent majority of light pink to light blue people whom-if organized- could form a serious movement. And I worry if one doesn't.

I sure I sound like a broken record at this point but my fears are still there; we cannot last as a country if we're going to be a hyper polarized country with two cults of personalities and the gross majority voting for meme candidates or holding their nose for the "last bad option". Especially because we already have ethnic, religious and regional tension; and especially because we have a whopping number of firearms. My worst fear is a Lebanon style civil war on the scale of a country our size