1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Dolphins @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Get Green and JJ for the J-Ville game and have AJ rested and ready for clash of the Titans. :D

We MUST have Green for this week. We HAVE to be able to at least even somewhat run the football. JJ would just be a bonus to bolster special teams and the receiving corps.

Hate to admit it but, you have to give the Fins some credit, they played us very tough. Ron Brown definitely was better than I thought. DAMN! :mad:

Then ATL game, damn I still can't believe we lost to those bozos but, again they played us better than I thought they would as well.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Texans did not control either side of the line.
    Texans had 350 net yard on offense, yet only one touchdown.
    The one touchdown took four plays to go the last 2 yards.
    The Fins had to play their backup QB for most of the game.
    Texans kicked 5 field goals, 3 over 50 yards, to win.
    Ephraim Salaam got used on most plays.

What's not to like?

If Carr was still our QB, the standard line from the fans would be that the Texans won despite their QB.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We would have never had a chance for that final field goal...had Carr been the QB.

4. Major

Major Member

That's because Carr would not have thrown for 300 yards and moved the ball up and down the field despite no running game whatsoever. In the past two years, he threw for at least 293 yards exactly 3 times - all losses, and once when he had 50+ pass attempts. The 8.6 yards per attempt - Carr did once in those two years.

Carr, at his very very best, managed a game. His very best games were like what Schaub did yesterday. Schaub is a different type of QB than a game manager - he's going to make a lot more big plays, which also is going to come with more mistakes. Carr's problem is that he managed to make the mistakes without making the plays.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The one thing I love about Schaub is that he throws the ball downfield. I love that he doesnt hesitate to pass the pall beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Carr played not to make mistakes, but in the process, managed to make mistakes. Wait, I think I just said what you did.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We had more 1st downs, more 3rd down conversions, more total yards, more total plays, higher average gain per play, and a higher time of possession, but other than that, you're right.
    It's almost as if we were missing our best RB and best 2 WR's or something.

It's almost as if we were missing 2 of our best O-linemen (Spencer, McKinney).
    The Texans had to play their backup RB, center, left tackle, and 2 WR's.

Yes, great game by Kris Brown!!

He made Jason Taylor look like an all-pro. Oh, wait.....

Agreed. A win is a win.

Carr would have never converted all those 3rd downs by throwing the ball down the field like Schaub did. That's the only reason Brown was able to get in position to kick 5 FG's, including the game-winner.

7. msn

msn Member

Nice!

...and we certainly haven't been able to say that very often in the five previous years. I understand that in most cities the play of the Texans right now *wouldn't* be something to celebrate, and in general one ought not to celebrate mediocrity, but it's so stinking refreshing to actually beat bad teams, compete well against moderate teams, hold your own against great teams, and be 3 and 2 after five games, which has never happened here. The Texans could realistically win 8 or 9 games this year, if some of the major components come back healthy. That's not great, and I don't mean to act like they're Indy or New England or something, but considering 2004 isn't too far in our rearview mirror, that possibility just makes me all giddy inside.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were a lot of things in yesterday's game that could be concerning. The only thing that really bothers me is tackling. This is the second straight week in which our guys were not effectively wrapping up. It is bad news when the best tackler on your team is a DB. The Falcons broke tackles all game last week, and the Dolphins did it all game this week. Sure Ronnie Brown is big, but we have been guys too.

Schaub is great. He would have had close to 350 yds passing were it not for a couple penalties that stalled drives and took away some long Andre Davis completions.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

DeMeco Ryans ?

10. msn

msn Member

I believe he's referencing Duante (sp?) Robinson, who is widely regarded as an outstanding open-field tackler.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Demeco is not a bad tackler, but I have seen him whiff on tackles a lot more than Dunta. Keep in mind, it was Demeco that had the first and best shot at bringing down Steve Smith during Smith's miraculous 3rd TD in the 2nd game of the season. Demeco had him wrapped up, and let him slip out. Now, granted, Demeco's tackling has a lot more required than Dunta, who is involved in maybe 3 or 4 plays a game tackling-wise, but I still think Dunta is a better tackler.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time describing a guy that was tops in the league in tackles as "not a bad tackler".

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I don't know if I consider Dunta a better tackler than Ryans, just because I think it's too hard to compare because of the disparity in chances , but I do think that Robinson does a terrific job at holding on to the runners leg and not letting go until he falls, which is pretty hard to do.

14. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I see. You would prefer I label him as a bad tackler, then? I'm not saying he's average, dude. I was saying he's NOT a bad tackler. As in look at a bad tackler, like say Matt Stevens or Phillip Buchanon or Demarcus Faggins. He's not those guys. I was just pointing out that my statement wasn't meant to degrade him, just that Dunta is better, and the rest of the team is average at best.

Achillieus pretty much described why I think Dunta is better. He doesn't always bring the bigger players down, but he holds on, and won't allow more than a few yards after the initial contact.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough. i know what you mean by saying "not bad" but why take the negative when you should compliment the guy for being a dang good tackler?, which he is.

now better than dunta? i dont know. Dunta is awesome in the open field, but there are both in such different areas its hard to really says who better.

Needless to say they are both very good tacklers.

16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Agreed. Most of my disappointment has been in the other linebackers. The DLine seems to do well enough when they can shed their blockers. But I get tired of seeing Clark, Greenwood, Anderson or any of our other LBs grab at a guy and then slough off them like he was a greased up deaf guy.

I guess what bothers me more than anything is that I consistently see the other team breaking out tackles, and then our offensive players never seem to do that. Whatever limitations Dominic Davis/Williams had when he was healthy, the man was not easy to bring down. I like that in my RBs.

17. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

My take on the TJ deal is this ...

When you look at this matter at the surface it looks like TJ is the villain here but, put this into context what has happened the last few weeks and his actions seem a little more justifiable at least, he did not do an "Alfred Haynesworth." I still think that prick should have kicked out of the league for good but, just my take.

If you look at how TJ landed he was close to landing on his head where his neck and spinal column could have been compromised. TJ was upset because, he could not amply defend himself because, he did not see it coming.

After seeing the Killings incident and what happened to Mr Everett in Buffalo, he not only saw his career flashing by but, also if he would be able to walk again?

I don't wish bad upon Trent Green, seems like a good guy but, football is a game of controlled aggression but, if a player feels he has been slighted then the aggression becomes uncontrolled.

TJ's actions were barely condonable with his first initial reaction, the reason he got flagged was he persisted in the taunting.

TJ should get fined and be given a stern warning by the league and by the team officials if there are any future occurrences.

It's easy for people to condemn TJ's actions, especially if they have never played football. I venture to say at least half who have posted have not. Incidences like this can become scary, when into addition to seeing other situations where your fallen comrades look like they're going to be paralyzed.

TJ did not do an "Alfred Haynesworth" or a "Jack Tatum" on Trent Green so, TJ is not a thug, he was concerned for his livelihood and future and his temper got the best of him. Enough said.

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

If anyone wants to see the replay of the Texans' game you can watch it on NFL Network @ 6:00 pm central tonight ( in 45 minutes).