1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I remember this as well, but I got in on it at the end and only had a card that worked for about a month.:(

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Do you use Proton's email service or just the VPN? I've thought about signing up for their email service for about the last 6-8 years, but end up never doing it.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did it show this at the end?

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and Ottomaton like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What am I missing here?

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was accusing your unlocked all powerful Firestick of trying to find the launch codes to launch our nuclear missiles at Russia as a last resort before shutting down.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I thought that was something along those lines and we are talking about Tech before something like a fire stick was even thought of.

It was something more akin to a swipe card.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The last $300 consolidated bill pushed me over into the cord-cutters. Just signed up for Youtube TV and so far happy with the DVR advantages (unlimited recording versus 2 recordings at a time). Also like the channel availability (only lost MeTV but I'm sure we can find other sources of old TV).

Worst loss... AT&T Sportsnet. It seems like a big loss. I can spin up a trial with DirectTV, but like everything else so much with YouTube TV, I am wondering what other possible options to just get Rockets and Astros games?

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Literally the only thing holding me back from cutting the cord at this point.

ROCKSS and mikol13 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

The last $300 consolidated bill pushed me over into the cord-cutters. Just signed up for Youtube TV and so far happy with the DVR advantages (unlimited recording versus 2 recordings at a time). Also like the channel availability (only lost MeTV but I'm sure we can find other sources of old TV).

Worst loss... AT&T Sportsnet. It seems like a big loss. I can spin up a trial with DirectTV, but like everything else so much with YouTube TV, I am wondering what other possible options to just get Rockets and Astros games?
    It is making a difference of about $150 a month.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For the Rockets, I use a VPN service (ProtonVPN) to get an IP address from India. Then I get NBA League Pass India, which is only $20/year and you get every NBA game live and on-demand.

The steps for this:

1) Clear history and cache from browser (I use BleachBit)
    2) Turn on India VPN (it's an app on my desktop; turn it on by clicking a button)
    3) Log into NBA site. Click "Watch" on the game I want to watch.
    4) As soon as the game stream starts, I bring up the VPN app and turn off the VPN, which restores my normal IP address.

If you want to put it on your TV you can connect via HDMI or there's probably some way to cast it to your TV. It's a workaround and not as convenient as just turning the TV on, but the savings are massive (especially since I would have a VPN service anyway). The 4 steps outlined above only take a couple minutes. I'm cheap enough to where that is totally worth the savings.

I know MLB has a great streaming service. Not sure how to get around it similarly to the NBA but I'm sure there's a way.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

FuboTV remains a complete and total embarrassment of a service. Not even HD half the time, crashes frequently, terrible UI.

....yet I still fork over the cash to watch Rockets & Astros.

12. NewRoxFan

How is MLB TV... and is there a way to get the home games?

13. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I listen to all games on AM radio. I can look for highlights online. I understand it's not for everyone, but it works for me. Just putting options out the for you.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

curious - what’s your age cohort? 60’s?

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  15. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I'll be 44 in a month. I just started listening to Gene & Jim do the Rockets games in the 90s and now it's just how I enjoy the games. Basketball, baseball, and to a lesser extent football. My wife thinks it hilarious how I walk around the house carrying a portable radio from room to room. I understand it's unusual, but it's normal routine for me now.

BamBam, boomboom, ROCKSS and 5 others like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

There is something good about hearing a baseball game on the radio. Even the background noises like the crowd noises and the crack of the bat.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It depends a lot on the broadcasters, too -- if they can paint the picture. I was never a huge fan of baseball, but always loved listening to Milo/Gene broadcast Astros games back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid. I used to fall asleep at night listening to them on my transistor radio. lol. Baseball is also a bit different from basketball and football since there's always a bunch of nothing in terms of action until that action happens, so you can kind of relax and listen.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

that’s awesome.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I've been a cord cutter and then I've gone back but the bill is just getting crazy. But who do y'all go with for internet? I bundle with my cable currently.

20. NewRoxFan

I am looking at Fidium as a standalone offering. 2GB, $75 a month for year one, $85 a month for year 2, $95 a month year three...