1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The realest thing right now is the pro-JV short rest proponents to admit they were wrong.

They won't though.

Hopefully the Stros win the series regardless.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We're very lucky to even be coming home to play a game 5. Tonight couldve been the final dagger if not for Harris coming through clutch in Game 2. Count your blessings Astros fans.

3. TheresTheDagger

I know its just 1 at bat and overall he's playing pretty well but....

What the hell was that last at bat from Yordan? He swung at 2 pitches COMPLETELY out of the strike zone...one that bounced.

I just....

solid and arabrocket like this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

Brantley hit the TAR out of two pitches. One fell just short of the fence. The other was caught on a fluke catch by their annoying first baseman. He's allright.

5. SemisolidSnake

I was wrong. I was really banking on him being above and beyond what the numbers say about short rest starts. It was a more emotional than rational take. I have learned something in a very ugly way.

everyday eddie and Houstunna like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If the offense only scores one run, does it matter who started? I doubt Urquidy and the pen shut out the Rays.

7. Buck Turgidson

Hey, if the Rays can beat Greinke, Verlander and Cole in 3 straight games while shutting down this offense then they deserve it, you just tip the cap and tell them to go beat the **** out of the Yankees.

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

It showed they have no confidence in this "vaunted" offense that they needed to throw Verlander out there on short rest imo. The offense doesn't deserve to have faith put in them at this point. They haven't really done much offensively in this series and were up and down down the stretch to end the season. Verlander would have had to pitch another no-hitter for them tonight to have a chance.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Yuli
    Alvarez
    Correa
    Brantley
    Cheerios
    Tucker

10. SemisolidSnake

They're not mutually exclusive. The offense has been **** which I've pointed out a lot, and JV was not normal JV. If we lose this series, it's on the offense, IMO, but I'm also admitting that the short rest start was a bad idea.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok.......better hope the Astros show some heart on Thursday. I hope they do, but this doesn't look good.

12. Theking

Theking Member

Is cole pitching? Then no cheerios as you put it

13. AstrosRockets1818

The Verlander decision was and is correct.

If you could ask The Rays before today or even after would they rather face JV on short rest or some dude that has never pitched in a playoff game before? The answer would be the guy who has never pitched in a playoff game before. It would be the answer 100% every ****ing time for anyone who actually understands how baseball works.

I really do wish some of you would leave this message board and become fans of other teams. It’s just pure cluelessness

Major likes this.
  14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Was hoping Hinch moved Brantley down in the order tonight instead moving him up. He's snakebite right now plus he has a track record of sucking in the playoffs.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The fact JV seemingly demanded the ball tonight gave me extra hope.

I bypassed the fact he'd already f'd up '17 vs Boston during similar short rest.
    Regardless, Stros likely win tomorrow and will have enough pitching for the next series.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

And some of you baseball snobs need to get the **** off your high horses.

jev5555 likes this.
  17. AstrosRockets1818

The Houston team that actually has postseason success you mean?

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hes still got a bit of Cleveland in him. AJ is the type who doubles down hoping the player comes through.

19. Elienator

Elienator Member

Urquidy threw 50 pitches in 2 innings and was lucky to get out of them without any runs. If he started, who was gonna pitch the rest of the game? Miley?

The Astros had their chances. Starting JV wasn’t the reason they lost.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F that. Cheerios is the better hitter and has worked with Cole before. I'm sticking with Chirinos. I need runs and Machete has a history of letting balls pass him by.