1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Mar 2, 2007.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It should be a pretty easy move, I mean one guy is close to 30 and has never ****. The other guy is your top prospect who plays your biggest need position and since the Astros probally are not gonna be in the playoffs this season if only makes sense to put him on the roster and see what he can do from time to time since he has dominated the minors.

What will Tim do? Platoon Lane with Scott.

Seriously, next season Burke will be playing 2nd, hell maybe by June Biggio wont be and your gonna clear a roster spot for Lane? Stupid.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's unlikely Lane makes the final roster, particularly given how much Garner values Bruntlett's versatility.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well how many pitchers is he gonna keep? I think it's gonna be a position player with that 25th roster spot

4. The Cat

I hope you're right. But the Astros have a history of preferring 12 pitchers, and given the uncertainty surrounding the 4 and 5 spots this season, I'd be surprised if they went away from that. But, if it were my choice, I'd definitely keep an extra position player.

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

hah...my parents were at that wedding. small world

6. Buck Turgidson

Nice, hope they had a good time.

Friends of her family or his?

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We got smoked by the Mets today....or at least Borkowski did. Pence hit a triple and started in LF..went 2 for 2 and they pitched Glavine, Sosa and Wags among others.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

An awesome first day down here in Kissimee... got plenty of autographs/conversations with the players. Got a chance to see how big, lanky (and young looking) Hunter Pence really is... got a chance to see Chris Burke lose a couple of balls in a very tough sun... and got a chance to see Morgan Ensberg at La Forchetta after the game.

Overall, a very fun trip... even though the Astros lost. Looking forward to more fun tommorow.

9. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

hers.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think the team grabbed a guy like Lee so they could go fishing in October.

11. The Cat

Of course, many other people, including the organization, have an extremely different outlook on this.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Could you yell "PENCE SHOULD START" at Garner the whole game? That would make me feel better.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd like to see pence in the big leagues but is it better for him to sit on the bench here or get consistent at bats in triple a? he can also get more work in centerfield there.

they may wait until burke takes over second full-time and then bring pence up.
    we'll see how spring goes, if he continues around this pace it'll be hard to deny him a major league spot.

14. The Cat

How do Pence's at-bats look? How is he with contact? (I know one of the few knocks on him going into this season was that his strikeout total was a touch high.)

Also, how did Burke's at-bats look? I've noticed he's had a terrible spring so far at the plate... does he look to be struggling, or just bad luck with placement? (And yes, I know I'm asking for a lot of detail based on one game, haha.)

15. Buck Turgidson

Sincerely,

Luke Scott
    April 1, 2005

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pence looks pretty confident... when he swings, its always at something in the zone (ie - he's not getting fooled, and is taking walks instead of swinging at bad pitches).

Burke looked a little uncomfortable batting at the bottom of the lineup... took some hittable pitches, and popped up (or fouled) the hittable ones.

Time will tell on both guys... for now, lets hope they both work their ass off to do what it takes to be potential all-stars in the NL.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Nick...I have 4 tickets behind homeplate (2 in row 4 and 2 in row 7) for this Saturday's game vs Phil....i planned on going but Im gonna be all the way down in Palm Bch with the family and its too far of a drive....do u want the tickets?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is there anywhere to view preseason stats?

DD

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Not really.

Luke Scott had a heck of a half season of baseball, but before that was basically an AAAA player. He's a below average defender in right field, and will turn 29 this year.

Hunter Pence is the org's best prospect, fields above average in right and needs to get to the majors imo. He's going to be 24, I think it is time to give him a shot to be our starting right fielder, were he has the tools to be there for the next 10+ years.

I understand your comment was about sample size in spring training and I like Luke Scott, he was a major reason we got hot at the end of last year, but I just don't see him as a long term solution in right. Pence has some flaws for sure, but his potential again, imo is far superior then Luke's.

None of this matters though, I have a feeling Lane has some pretty bad pics of Tim (they must be REALLY bad) and will get the starting job in right. :(