1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hell, if it wasn't for the union, EVERYBODY would be getting incentive based deals.

Alas, some team will give these guys guaranteed money regardless. The only way you get them with incentive deals is if they really really REALLY want to pitch for you, and even then the union is so powerful that they will be discouraged to accept any lesser deals simply due to location/preference.

2. msn

msn Member

A pretty interesting Astros Team Report at Yahoo! Sports:

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

impossible! they spent all their development money on wolf and hawkins last year.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw on the crawl on ESPNEWS that the Braves are no longer pursuing Jake Peavy. Wonder what that means for the other teams in pursuit?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

gulp...

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Woods seemingly out of Chicago, me thinks the ScRubs might just jump back into the race. Talk about your nightmare scenario.

I really hope we (the Astros) can flip some of our vets - Wiggy and Papa Grande - and get some prospects that San Diego can agree to.

Uncle D really needs to bridge the gap between this group of Astros and the ones that will be here three+ years down the road (after a sustained run of good scouting/drafting).

If they can make this move, I think we can expect to be serious contenders for another 3-5 years.

So it all boils down to this, Drayton, what have YOU done to be a champion TODAY?

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Astros are obviously a long shot to get Peavy, but I really hope that Drayton's Hunter Pence love is not what is holding a trade up.

8. DPballer

DPballer Member

He probably wouldn't trade Pence, since it would be a bad PR move. But our lack of young talent is what's going to prevent us from getting Peavy. I'd be real happy with Sheets at this point. If Wolf bails on us, then we can replace him with Hampy.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the PR move of getting one of the best, young starting pitchers in the league can help people get over losing Pence. I mean, he's an average corner outfielder with no plate discipline.

10. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Peavy is probably out of our reach...Sheets would be nice and maybe trade for Brian Fuentes to bolster the pen, not give up too much...Brocail was a huge disappointment

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Makes sense... especially since the payroll could be over 120 million (and you know Drayton is looking at Tampa and Philly and realizing that it doesn't take that much to "be a champion").

Honestly, Valverde would be a better trade-chip around mid-season (when somebody really gets desperate to overpay for a closer).

I'd try to move Wiggington's 6.5 million as well... possibly move Tejada to 3rd.

They're likely saddeled with Tejada's contract whether they like it or not... teams aren't going to be lining up for him unless he has a really good first half.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Tejada would garner much more attention as bait if he were willing to move to 3rd.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

not making $13M.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I didn't say a lot more. IIRC, there would have been more options for the Orioles last year if he were willing to move to 3B.

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A fan blogging on the Chronicle website is not exactly a reliable source. This guy is just guessing like the rest of us. He also threw out such gems as:

-The Astros could sign Randy Johnson. (not in THIS lifetime)

-Scott Elarton is a "kid" and Jason Jennings is a has been. (Elarton is a never was).

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I just posted the link and I know he's a fan blogger but I don't think he would mention that there are rumors without at least having heard something borderline legitimate. Obviously, it doesn't guarantee anything will happen. That's why he used the word rumor.

Justice, McTaggart and Ortiz pump out nonstop garbage. I can't believe those guys have been around baseball for so long yet still don't understand the basics of the game.

To me, Zach Levine's stuff is by far the best when it comes to Astros analysis at the Chron, followed by Chip's. Chip's content isn't anything special but I prefer him over those other 3 buffoons.

#77 BrooksBall, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  18. mokulen

mokulen Contributing Member

It's not just rumors that they'll try to move a contract. Wade did a couple radio interviews last week and pretty much said as much. And as Nick mentioned it just makes sense ...

About trying to get the payroll under 120 million - "... it may entail us having to move one of the bigger - one or more bigger contracts ..."

11/13 (around 49:00) - <a href="http://www.790kbme.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=jdanddave.xml">link</a>

Here he just says they'll have to do something to be creative.

11/12 Hour 1 (around 16:30) - <a href="http://www.790kbme.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=pallilo.xml">
    link</a>

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Berkman is on all morning on 1560.

20. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

recap plz?