1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But that can still be disseminated in signs.

They go to the mound more often because they no longer trust the signs.... or they feel they need to venture away from the scouting report because of an adjustment a player may or may not make (which I feel is fair game for them to discuss).

But if they need constant refreshing of the scouting reports, let them both keep a playbook (IHOP menu!) up there with them to review/study prior to each batter. Or one of those wristbands that QB's wear.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Some entertained him being traded.... because Tony Kemp was waiting in the wings. ;)

It happens.

I still remember deciding to skip out on whatever I was supposed to do on the random weekday game that he was called up and made his debut. There were about 3,000 people in the stands at MMP. Hunter Pence was the main draw for the common fan. I was thrilled to see their first called up prospect that had a semblance of 'breakout' potential in what seemed like years... even though nobody could have ever expected him to turn into this.

bigdaddy likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I tried to trade him; I never believed what he was doing was sustainable, given how undisciplined he was. But I would imagine Altuve's entire story is built on people at various stages doubting him. I'm friends with a former MLB scout (he's from Venezuela), said they never would have given Altuve the time of day.

I finally decided to accept that he defies conventional thinking and that I should stop worrying about it and just enjoy it.

eric.81 and MadMax like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

You and me both.

Shame.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember him and JD Martinez coming up and it was exciting for both. I do believe there was more of an expectation for JD, but they were both tearing up the minors so expectations were high for both.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eh. The important thing is that Jeff Luhnow continues to prove he's smarter than us.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or Tim Purpura (who was GM when they signed him)?

Or Ed Wade (who was GM when they fast-track promoted him)?

I guess credit to Luhnow for not cutting him or trading him... but given that they were playing a bunch of guys who had no business being on a big league team, I don't think there would have ever been a chance they would have done that to him.

They did sign him to quite possibly the best bargain deal in the history of MLB... so definitely credit to that... but even Jeff admits that they never saw this level of production coming.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, there are a lot of mound visits not for swapping signs. The new rules are not directed at a game played by the Marlins and Phillies in May of last year. The new rules are directed primarily at the World Series, the other playoff games, and the Diamondbacks Wild Card Chase. Players and managers seem to think the increase in mound visits in games that mattered the most are primarily related to having to change signs. I will continue to side with people involved.

On a side note, I wonder if Manfred has a picture of McCann on his dart board.

9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

For the price he was traded for, wouldn't have minded taking a shot at Dickerson.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wonder what Carlos Gonzalez is going to cost.

He had a slightly better year than Carlos Gomez had last year and Gomez only got 4 million.

If he can be had for 8 million would anyone be interested in the Astros going after him?

Snake Diggit and pw1993 like this.
  12. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I'd like to see first if Derek Fisher can start elevating the ball. He's already one of the hardest contact hitters on the team so if he can convert just 1/3 of his ground balls last year into fly balls this year, that ~25% HR/FB ratio is going to give him results comparable to those of CarGo, if not better. He wouldn't even have to maintain a HR/FB ratio of 25% -- just 18% or so would probably give him an OPS of over .800.

13. pw1993

pw1993 Member

As long as Stassi looks good in ST, I wouldn't mind seeing Gattis get traded before Opening Day as White or Reed are probably better suited to the DH role and can contribute there for years to come at low cost. Not sure what Gattis would fetch in a trade but it's good to re-stock the farm system after the Cole trade. By July, there may be a bat or a reliever the team needs to pick up for the postseason run so having tradeable prospects will help.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are 6 “everyday” caliber players left on the market and I think they will all get shockingly low contracts compared to what was projected 4 months ago. I think all 6 could help Houston at the right price.

My guesses:

Lucroy $18M/2yrs with 2 vesting options and incentives/bonuses

Walker $12M/1yr with $8M 2nd yr player option

Moustakas $70M/5yr with opt out after 3rd yr

Morrison $6M/1yr plus incentives/bonus

CarGo $5M/1yr plus incentive/bonus and $4M 2nd yr player option

Duda $4M/1yr

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

CarGo is a no brainer to me at 5 million. Trade McHugh for a catching prospect or a young bullpen arm if the Astros don't want to add payroll.

16. Buck Turgidson

Uh, of course.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Article on the Astros preseason projection being the best since 2005. Preseason projections don't match exactly what will happen, but are a good measure of what the front office has done preparing for this season (not just this offseason). Excerpts and link below.

I don’t mean to be all breathless here, because, after all, last year’s Astros finished 101-61 in the regular season, too. Everyone has already long known the Astros are great. It’s just, this isn’t some ordinary great team. I know that the actual baseball is independent of what the preseason projections say, but this is a testament to what the organization has built.
    They also appear to be a juggernaut. Relative to these Astros, even the Yankees are an underdog.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/unnecessary-post-the-astros-look-amazing/

MadMax likes this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yea it really makes all the Yankees' huffing and puffing laughable. Under no circumstances are they the favorites for jackcrap.

19. pw1993

pw1993 Member

The Astros are currently projected for a team WAR of just over 55. By comparison, the 2001 Mariners team that set the modern record for wins in a season finished with a team WAR near 67. I'm sure their projected WAR at the beginning of that season was much lower however, i.e. they far exceeded expectations.

I can't think of any teams as good as what the 2018 Astros promise to be. That includes the 1980-81 teams, the 1986 team, the 1998-2000 teams, the 2005 team, or the 2017 team. It's a great time to be an Astros fan!

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member