1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2006.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

To start things off if Luke Scott is not in the starting line up then the astros are makig a terriable mistake. Second... I would give Ensberg no longer than 2 weeks or not even that long to prove that he desevers the starting position at 3rd. If he starts pulling that crap like he did last year then throw his ass on the bench and put in Mark. Same with Evert.. Honestly who cares how well he can play short.. if he doesnt produce on offense than throw his ass on the bench also. Finally Jason Lane doesnt deserve a chance at all. What he did last year is an embarrsement to the astros. Honestly why are we even giving him a chance i am sad to be an astro fan if he even makes the team to start the season

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah i posted in the other thread that purpura was talking about him competing for the starting job. what a f#$king joke if true. he's earned it.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There's nothing wrong with a little competition. If he folds because of it, maybe he shouldn't be the starter. I'm guessing he will be in RF on opening day.

I'd put Burke at the top of the order, move Moberg to 2nd, put Scott 5th, and put Biggio in the six spot.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why is this Holdzkom wikipedia story being talked about now? Tim Melton from channel 13 interviewed him about it last month at Minute Maid the elite pitchers camp.

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't see Garner putting him at 6th although that would be nice. I know he is not a typical #2 hitter but I would rather have him and Burke flip in the order for Burke to lead off and Biggio to bat second. I just think Burke will excel there this year, but then again he could potentially be a pretty solid #2 hitter as well. Loretta will be a solid #2 hitter when he plays at least.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The only hesitation I would have about that is that the bottom of the order would be absolutely horrible

Burke
    Ensberg
    Berkman
    Lee
    Scott
    Biggio
    Ausmus
    Everett
    pitcher

the last 4 players are almost automatic outs. I think :

Burke
    Biggio
    Berkmen
    Lee
    Ensberg
    Scott
    Ausmus
    Everett
    pitcher

this lineup would extend the order a little more and giver more overall production. Hopefully HUnter Pence can prove himself and move into CF and Brurke can move to 2b

7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I said as much about Scott in that thread.

Biggio's OBP the in April/May of 05/06 has been about .360. Hitting him leadoff initially takes some pressure off Burke, first time starter. If they need to, they can tinker with the lineup at some point. When Loretta starts at 2nd, will they flip the top 2 spots?

Mo needs to hit like a #5 hitter. If he returns to form & Scott can be solid, their offense can be very good, and they need it to be.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Biggio, Ausmus, Everett, and the pitcher will be consecutive when the order flips as the lineup is currently set. I wouldn't say Biggio is an automatic out, but there are people that get on base better than him on the team.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Gee wiz.

Luke Scott has proved nothing over the course of an entire season. So bringing in Richard Hidalgo to compete with him is such a low-rish, high-reward move the organization would have been fools not to do it. If Scott can't handle the competition, then he won't be able to handle a whole season. Really, it's Scott's position to LOSE; if he does what he did during the second half of last season he'll be in the starting lineup, with Hildago or Lane on the bench as a backup.

I do agree with Ensberg; and I'm sure the organization won't be as patient this time around. That's exactly why they acquired Loretta...not only to sub him, but Everett and Biggio as well.

And I'm so sick of people expecting offensive greatness out of you're 7th or 8th starter on a national league team. He's there for defense, so get over it already; he is NOT going anywhere.

Lane is being given one last chance, most likely because the club has invested so much into him. It's another low-risk move; he offers nothing of value on the market, so instead of just releasing him why not give him one last shot. He did have a bad year last year; but prior to that he posted modest numbers.

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Your right Luke hasnt proven himself in a full season yet.. BUT HE WAS NEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE YET. Look at it this way.. he did more last year then some players do in a full year.. He hit over .400 for at lest 2 and a half months last year. He hit for the cycle and dont forget that game winning homer he hit against Cards during that last series we had at home with them while we were tring to catch them. Talk about pressure.. Honestly he has proven enough for me idk what else you want. Evert so basically your telling me that when we reach the 7th and 8th batter we should just throw our hands up and go okay.. we surrender.. I mean i would take offensnse over D any day.. Who cares about how good he is at short..

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

^^^See Maas, Kevin

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Either Lane or Hildalgo will make the squad as the fifth OF (unless Orlando Palmeiro is jettisoned). Hildalgo has the clear edge on defense, since he has a cannon arm. Neither can really play center field, but Lane might have the slight edge here. (I am seriously thinking that Burke will play 150+ games in center this year. And if Burke does get injured, a AAA callup would be in order.)

Given that I don't see Lane making the squad, not unless Lane is on fire at the plate and Hildalgo falls below the Medoza line.

13. msn

msn Member

Fixed it.

14. JunkyardDwg

I imagine too that Hidalgo will be the one coming off the bench; Lane struggled mightily in the Winter League; I doubt he finds a renaissance now.

Not to mention that Hidalgo played well enough to EARN an invite.

15. JunkyardDwg

Don't get me wrong; I want to see Luke in RF too; but I don't see anything wrong with some healthy competition.

As for everett...I'll take defense over offense at the SS position if it means we get Everett's defense. I think its been discussed ad naseum that a little bump in his average to a respectable place only means a few more hits per hundred at bats...nothing to be excited about. This team can find offense other places...same with catcher; I don't mind sacrificing some offense there when you have an incredible fielder with intimate knowledge of the game like Ausmus. And if Ensberg returns to form, Biggio doesn't fall off too much, Loretta does what he was brought in to do, Burke and Luke continue to do their things and Berkman and Lee bring in the runs, this team will be fine at the plate.

I'm more concerned with the starting pitching at this point.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:D that's just classic.

17. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

I hope Lidge will be one of the top closers this season...last season was pretty disapointing

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

johan santana is going to be a free agent in 08' :D