1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Replacing McHugh will certainly be an issue, the last 100 games or so once they removed him from mop up duty he was our most consistent bullpen weapon. A full season of Osuna and Pressly will mitigate most of it.

Peacock on the other hand isn't a loss IMO. He's never been particularly effective with short relief work. He has much more value as a starter

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Obviously replacing what McHugh did in the pen last year would be tough but I feel like the bullpen is mostly set anyway. I expect Peacock to be in the bullpen again and be the 6th starter if necessary.

Osuna
    Pressly
    Rondon
    Smith
    Peacock
    Harris
    Devenski

That leaves one spot for Perez/Deetz/Valdez/Guduan/James if we don't sign anyone else.

3. ktex

ktex Member

I absolutely HATE moving McHugh. You are weakening both the BP and the starting rotation. He's exceptional out of the pen, so stupid.

4. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Dont worry though. Dont. Then you are a bad fan. The Astros will be great no matter what.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#1685 J.R., Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Half those teams are really weird fits. Barnhart, Zunino, McCann, and Hedges all seemed to be cemented as starters and I can’t see Miami wanting any of them.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't see those guys as starters (they will be though, except for maybe McCann). If you did, why on earth would they not want Barnhart or really any of them (besides McCann)?

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's pretty good out of the rotation. The market is very heavy on bullpen help.

9. Major

Major Member

Those guys are no better than (mostly worse) and cheaper than Chirinos. If it doesn't make sense for a team to upgrade from them, I'm not sure why it would from Chirinos.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Cruz 2yrs 20m
    Brantley 3yrs 45m
    Ramos 3yrs 30m
    Garcia 3yrs 10m

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

With all the analytics now the catcher position is not the same. Any offensive production is a bonus. I think Strom having a chance to work with Chirinos in Japan sealed the deal. They are comfortable with him calling games and working with the pitchers. That is more important to the Astros than his offensive output, and the fact that he is likely to be better than Maldonado/McCann offensively is just a bonus.

Unless the price in terms of money or prospects of one of the top catchers available (Grandal, Cervelli, Ramos) comes down I don't think they will upgrade over Chirinos. If you go by the salary projections out there, is Ramos worth a 3 year 36 million compared to the deal for Chirinos? Is that really enough increase in production for that much money considering the health concerns of Ramos? Same goes for Cervelli that would cost prospects and has concussion issues.

Marlins were never going to accept a trade from the Astros that didn't include Whitley or Tucker. They got hosed in the Yellich, Ozuna, and Stanton deals and are going to hold out for every cent of value they can squeeze out of Realmuto. Two years of control for a catcher is not worth 6 years of Tucker or Whitley in my opinion. Now, you give me Kluber or Syndergaard for 3 years and I would move one of those guys.

12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

It makes a difference if you think we shouldn’t give out big contacts now because we will need to give them out later.

15. Buck Turgidson

Smarter guys than us are all over that.

16. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Right. But as we pontificate the “we should’s”, we ought to at least have a realistic expectation of the future.

17. Buck Turgidson

Sure, while I pontificate I cognitate and realistically expectate that the Stros are all over that, and this, and the other.

Let's worry about this season now. They've shown nothing other than the desire to be a long-term winner.

18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Go get Harper.

19. Buck Turgidson

Kluber

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Bumgarner.