1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. conquistador#11

greinke to the astros or to the yankees?

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Wonder what it would take to get a package of Greinke/Goldschmidt done. I guess it would depend on how much $ Arizona would be willing to eat of Greinke’s deal. Alvarez, Bukauskas would probably be a starting point.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  4. Marteen

Marteen Member

If they get Greinke and Corbin to go with Paxton and Severino, oh lord.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We still need money to hopefully resign both Verlander and Cole. Greinke is 35 and has lost velocity every year since his trade and is owed over $100 million. Goldschmidt would be nice but hes also a free agent after this year and if the Stros want to keep the core four together I see no way they could resign him unless Crane opens up the wallet and wants to be a top 4 payroll team. I'd love to see a trade for Carrasco. Kluber is up in age but would love him for the next couple of years with the right trade.

I still hope we can keep Keuchel and hope his market shrinks but that's highly unlikely. Seems hes Washington bound.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros are lucky NY and Boston have to beat up on each other so much. But the Yankees are going to be REALLY good next season. We are in an era of superteams.

Goldschmidt and Greinke plus a star catcher (Grandal/Ramos/Realmuto) and an upside pitcher would be an excellent offseason and put Houston I a position to compete with anybody regardless of what other teams do.

Getting a Greinke and Goldschmidt without giving up Tucker or Whitley would be better than getting Paxton imho.

HTown2017Champs, robbie380 and Nook like this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Unless they eat a substantial amount of cash, I have no interest in adding Greinke. He’s already 35 and has been losing velocity for the past two years. Set to make 32m every season until he’s 37? Yeah...no thanks. Let another team take that risk.

Now, Alvarez and a prospect or two for Goldy? Sign me up.

HTown2017Champs, Hemo_jr and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Astros. Discussed him as soon as the season ended and then again recently.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The appeal of Greinke is that he is under control for multiple seasons. The Diamondbacks would pay some of his salary.

Who knows if it happens but there is mutual interest.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I would be ecstatic if that happened. I’ll take my chances with the Astros against anyone... the Yankees could be losing part of their pen too.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I hope it isn't Greinke. I just don't get how it makes sense. Greinke is owed 34.5, 35 and, 35 million the next 3 seasons. In order to get Greinke down to 20 million per year the D-Backs would have to throw in 44.5 million dollars. To get 44.5 million dollars and Greinke the Astros will have to pay a steep price in terms of prospects. Greinke is also 35 years old with over 2600 innings on his arm. So the Astros won't pay 20 million a year to a 31 year old Keuchel, but will to a 37 year old Greinke in 3 seasons?

I would much rather go after Kluber, Carrasco, or Syndergaard than pay top prospects to the D-backs just to eat nearly half of Greinke's contract.

LonghornFan and awc713 like this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Thor would be very interesting. Don’t know if we can pull it off. NYM said they want to compete next year, so maybe we can offer a package that will help them compete in 2019 and on?

Thor for Tucker, James, and Davis? Is that crazy? Maybe add another prospect and get one in return?

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

2fer?

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Diamondbacks intend to move him and expect to eat part of his contract. I have no idea how much, but just to move him, they likely have to eat money and that is just to get his salary neutral to his performance. So I wouldn’t assume big prospects are involved and I wouldn’t assume the Astros expect them to cut his salary down to $20,000,000 a season.

I would rather Kluber as well, but he will come with a very high prospect cost. Carrasco will as well because of his salary and length of control. Both would likely cost more in prospects than Greinke would. The Indian that Astros asked about is Salazar. My guess is because of the lower prospect cost.

We will see what happens. Just because they are discussing it doesn’t mean it happens.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Probably came up when discussing other players. It makes sense. The cost shouldn’t be crazy as he is entering his last year of his contract.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With those 4 moves done, you start having to really squint or go crazy to find a spot to upgrade. When Josh Reddick or Yuli Gurriel is the weakest hitter in the lineup, there’s no more work to do on the offense. When guys like Devenski, Peacock, and Harris won’t even project to pitch later than the 7th inning, the bullpen is complete. If the worst part of your roster is that Collin McHugh and Josh James are the 4th and 5th starters, you’ve done just about all you can reasonably do.

Nook likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Luhnow knows Greinke’s value and so does Arizona’s front office. Arizona couldn’t even think of trading him last offseason; he had a bit of a rebound season so now they have a window to get out from under the deal as they face a potential rebuild. No top propects will be changing hands in a Greinke deal. I suspect Tucker and Whitley would be off the table even if Arizona ate 50% of the contract. Which plays into Houston’s hands, since they have a nice collection of 2nd tier prospects that Arizona can feel good about acquiring and that likely won’t really hurt the Astros to give up. Eating $35M and getting 2 decent prospects (say JBB and Cionel Perez) looks pretty good for both sides.

Nook likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Keep an eye on Greinke? I can't see him for the giant stacks of $35 million he is owed over the next three years. He's 35 now.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    C Yan Gomes
    SP Corey Kluber

Indians get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    SP JB Bukauskas
    RP Chris Devenski
    OF Derek Fisher

Who says no?