1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is why i said, they've been effectively "for sale" for quite some time. the mclane family doesn't sound like they're committed long term to this. i don't think any of us should be surprised if we find out the club is being sold.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Offensively the Astros are really set at RF (Pence), CF (Bourne), 2B (Keppinger) and 3B (Johnson). The rest of positions are in the black hole of potential.

C (Castro) and 1B (Wallace) are both young and have not shown much offensively. The Astros must play them next year, to see if they can develop into everyday players. Wallace has hit at every level and should be able to take the next step. Castro's offense is not as sure of a thing. Castro just has to bat the "Ausmusian line" to see regular play.

LF (Lee) is the wildcard. If the Astros are really playing for the future, Lee should at best platoon at LF and perhaps 1B. At worse, Lee should be benched and maybe used a pinch hitter. This may leave an opening for Bourgeois or Bogusevic. Neither have shown much, but playing Lee is not a move for the future.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I wouldn't say they are set at 2nd or 3rd base. Keppinger had a very solid year but I don't think he is the long-term solution. Chris Johnson had a great rookie year but can he continue it? His minor league numbers would say probably no. He strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough. His defense is terrible as well. I hope I am wrong but I don't think Chris Johnson going to be more than a .270 hitter with 20 homer run potential.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sign Hunter Pence to a Carlos Lee- type contract.

5. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I really don't get the Carlos Lee at first base hatred. He's showed he would be at worse a decent first baseman and provided some good power from there at the end of the year. The only way Lee would be blocking Wallace would be if Wallace was playing extremely well this year, which I'm pretty sure no one can admit to. If Wallace was mashing the ball more, I would give him the position but the fact is he hasn't earned it yet. I think a left field and first base platoon will work for Lee since we're stuck with him and it would be stupid to cut him when our other options aren't outplaying him yet.

As for giving Hunter a huge contract like that dude suggested, I think thats a very bad idea. I think Hunter hasn't shown me he is the lock him up early type. He seems to be a test his market value type. The type of players that you give huge contracts to lock them up to are ones that are already good that you expect to get significantly better (Braun, Longoria, Ramirez types). I really dont think Pence has proved that he can be better.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving a free agent shortstop like Uribe a chance since Angel Sanchez is average at his position, Tommy Manzella is essentially Adam Everett without the defense and there are no shortstop prospects anywhere near major league ready.

The place where we can really improve is the outfield. Bourn needs to start being platooned against lefties unless he drastically improves offensively against them. I like the idea of Bourgois splitting time with him if he can hit lefties (especially if he can also give us some speed and defense at second). JD Martinez needs to be given a look at playing left field during spring training. Bogusevic also needs to be given a chance to make that spot too. I'm really hoping one of these two guys steps up big time next year and gives us a Chris Johnson like season.

Chris Johnson probably needs to go play winterball and work on being able to draw some walks and play better defense at third. If he can improve on those two things, he's going to be a really good third baseman.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Astros payroll is at 41 mil right now and would probably be around 60 mil after arbitration which is about 30 mil under payroll from 2010 and Drayton's ceiling is at 90 mil so I think they could spend money on a quality player if they want.

I like the team constructed this way

C-Castro/Q
    1B-Wallace/Lee
    2B-Keppinger/Anderson or FA
    SS-Sanchez/Manzella
    3B-Johnson
    LF-Lee/Michaels
    CF-Bourn/Bouge..not even going to try and spell it.
    RF-Pence

Maybe add a veteran infield bat to compete with Sanchez/Manzella/Anderson for those two infield spots.

Bogusevic should play every day and can't with the Astros so he's forced back to AAA.

Rotation-Happ/Myers/Wandy/Norris/FA or Paulino or Lyles or Seaton

Here's where I spend the most FA money on a quality arm. Not much on the FA market. Jon Garland, Ted Lilly and Andy Pettitte had solid seasons not sure about 3 lefty starters though. Brandon Webb, Rich Harden would be low risk-high reward options.

I like the depth we have in the bullpen the back end is solid, there's a few good middle relief guys and I like adding those within anyways since they are hit or miss. Lyon, Lindstrom, Abad, Melancon, Figueroa, Byrdak.

7. MadMax

I don't have hatred for it...I just hate the idea of giving anyone but Wallace time at 1B next season. I want to see if these guys are gonna sink or swim.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Seaton?

He went 6-13 with a 6.64ERA in A+. I don't think he has any shot at the rotation next season. It will be Paulino to start the season, and Lyles will replace somebody in June.

9. MadMax

Figueroa??

10. No Worries

Dude, you have the wrong opinion!!!

Starting pitching was the absolute strength of the Astros last season. I do not see a need to upgrade. I also do not see a quality FA pitcher coming to Houston, until our offense improves.

What the Astros need is a consistent middle of the order bat. You know the job Lee used to do.

11. No Worries

He takes the Brian Moehler spot in the bullpen, as the long reliever and emergency starter.

I also do not see Lyles (or Seaton ftm) seeing any significant time with the Astros next season.

12. MadMax

completely agreed. but where do they play him? would be great to find a middle infielder who can hit with some pop. those usually aren't cheap.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While offense was definitely the teams weakness, spending money on pitching usually wins out in the end. Add to this that many of the people who did so well in the 2nd half half have yet prove they can do it for a whole season. Add to his, are we going to get everyone back?

If were talking about a division competing team, both ends need addressing. But I suppose what id rather see, is an emphasis on pitching, and a more developmental approach for the offensive players.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I read that Lee has a limited no trade clause for the final 2 years of his contract. What is the stipulations of a limited no trade clause as opposed to a full no trade clause? I read something like he and the Astros can agree to 12 teams that he can't be traded to without his consent. Also, in his last year of his contract he'll be a 10-5 player so essentially his final contract year will have a full no trade clause also by that 10-5 rule.

I just want that dude gone, he reminds me of the Cato/Moochie/Mo Taylor era where chumps got their fat contracts and just loafed afterwards.

15. No Worries

Happ, Norris and Paulino are all young and cheap and under the club control. All three could be stalwarts of the Astros starting pitching five years out. The Astros need to play them now to see if they can develop into top of the order pitchers.

The minor league cupboards are still bare. I can think of only one bat that will be in AAA next year that has MLB potential, JD Martinez. (Koby Clemens might be a second MLB potential bat in AAA next year. Koby struggled a bit in AA last year, with a below average .250 BA but with some power.) Both Martinez and Martinez are in search of a MLB position that they can play (outside of being a DH in the AL).

16. No Worries

I would platoon Lee in LF and 1B, pitch hitting the days he does not start. No matter what they do with Lee, he will be overpaid.

An argument could be made to play Lee everyday, so the Astos could trade him if he catches fire. Playing Lee everyday would be at the expense of developing Bourgeois or Bogusevic. Neither project as everyday players, but I say roll the dice.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think something that can not be lost with the Stros is that they are still rebuilding not reloading. Wallace needs time at 1st now so we can find out what's there and with Lee blocking his progress that makes Lee even more of a negative. Lee would be okay at 1st if the team was reloading and we were going to sign a stud FAgent in LF to put us over the top similar to when Kent was signed and. Biggio was sent to LF.

Lancaster killed Seaton, I wouldn't put much stock in his ERA but rather SO ratio. Dude became afraid to pitch inside and it got him killed on some nights. I think moving him to CC will do him wonders and give us a good look at what he can offer.

I have been advocating going after Webb, dude could come at a similar price as Myers. I wouldn't expect Cy Young Webb but possibly an above avg middle of the rotation guy and possible trade bait at the deadline or maybe something more like Myers. Besides Webb I would make small additions and call it a winter.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

By saying I was in favor of spending money on pitching before the offense, I didnt mean spend it on expensive FA's. I meant, spend it on keeping our young pitching staff and spending it at the minor league levels.

19. Mr. Clutch

Hunter Pence puts fans in the seats, especially little girls.

Plus, he's clutch, a leader, and has tons of heart. He's the face of the franchise.

20. Mr. Clutch

Agreed. Wallace should be the starter. Give him the experience he needs while we are going through rebuilding. If it turns out he is not cut out for it, better to find out sooner rather than later.