1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

A
    Also, for the people who say why would you trade with the Yankees?! There is a very real possibility Correa will sign with a big market team when he reaches FA. I think that is a fair assumption. Get what you can and create a market to drive up the price. He hit 21 homeruns in 75 games played this year. There will be at least a team and likely multiple teams who believe Correa can stay healthy moving forward.

2. HTown2017Champs

Andujar? Not thanks. His fielding is sloppy, and that's being VERY kind. I'd be worried about an error EVERY time he fields a ground ball if we got him. No thanks.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Wilson Contreras on CHC is an interesting target. Would be an upgrade at C, but many in CHC have been put off by his immaturity and approach. Will be interesting to see if Ross and co. will want to use his value elsewhere.

Maybe we’re the place for him to mature...we have enough young arms to make a trade intriguing for CHC.

Trading Correa is always a fun exercise for CF...but it’s all dependent on how the market values him. His value is at its lowest with his recent hitting (and injury) history. I think we’re better suited in keeping him for now. I would be crushed if we *actually* dealt Springer. Don’t see that happening. Would have to be a haul.

Smacktle, jklb and everyday eddie like this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I think losing springer would be bad. I view him as the heart and soul of this team. He is the energy and pulse. Correa is just an awesome talent that simply has not been maximized. Not sure we will ever be able to count on him. If trading Correa gave us a legit chance at cole I do it faster than a cat can lick its butt.

#424 mkahanek, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Smacktle and AznH-TownFan like this.
  5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Unless we can robbed someone MLB ready and their farm system, we’re not trading away Correa and his 7M contract this offseason. He can play 81 games and still worth every penny and more with his contract next year. Let’s ride with Correa till his FA time come.

The Real Shady and texans1095 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I think he is a massive upgrade to Chirinos.

Let’s put it this way, there would be times during the season where he would be our best hitter.

He doesn’t have the focus over the course of a full season but he is possibly the best overall catcher in baseball.

What would he cost? A lot. The Cubs would likely want a couple pieces. I would do Correa plus another player for him if the Cubs were interested.

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

I think they want pitching.

Who other than Whitley do the Astros have that the Cubs might want.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Trading Correa is entirely dependent on what you can get for him.

The Astros are not going to give him away but if he can be used to get a #2-3 starter or a main piece for someone like Contreras; then you do it.

I asked about the off season moves over a week ago and Springer’s name was not mentioned.

9. Nook

Nook Member

They do want pitching or young controllable players. They have several good catchers in their system. As far as pitching I am sure players like McCullers, Urquidy and James would interest them.

Cubs ownership made it clear, they will trim payroll so the ability to move someone like Contreras to fill several spots at a low cost excites them. Correa would off set some of their offensive loss and a pitcher like Urquidy or McCullers would fill a rotation need.

Of course that opens up a need in the rotation for the Astros but it lets Toro to play 3rd and not sign a catcher.

I doubt it happens but Contreras would fit the Astros well and really make our line up nasty.

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

I would give up Correa/James for a frontline Catcher.

They need to sell high on James. IMHO

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m out on a Correa for Contreras swap. Correa is a career 129 wRC+ hitter with 2 5+ fWAR seasons on his resume. Contreras is a 117 wRC+ hitter whose best season is 2.7 fWAR. Yes, Contreras is a very good player and Top 5 catcher, but I’m only trading for him if I can get him using non-Whitley prospects (Urquidy, Toro, Nova, Pena, etc.). And I only trade Correa if I get multiple prospects who are likely to become core players.

12. raining threes

I think you're undervaluing the catcher position. Those are elite numbers for that position.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they can’t work out an extension with Springer this off-season, he’s extremely tradeable.

raining threes and AznH-TownFan like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

It’ll never happen...but...that Mejia kid on the Padres is one helluva catcher. I don’t even want to imagine the type of offer it would take to pry him from San Diego.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

True. Sad but true. It would feel dirty watching Springer play for another team.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLBTR says the Blue Jays catchers are being discussed in trade talks. I would like it if Houston traded for McGuire or Jansen to pair with a veteran like Chirinos or Avila.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not true. For a player to be tradeable, his team has to want to trade him. Astros aren't trading him for anything but a ToR starting pitcher. ToR starting pitching isn't traded for a rental OF unless the rental OF is seriously cheaper.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They will resign him.

donkeypunch and BigM like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

It is the logical conclusion of the three things you said. One was that she wants him employed. Second that it's just a matter to be handled between him and victim. Third was what repeated in a different form here:

You're saying as long as he she doesn't complain about it, we shouldn't judge him and it's just between them. And the way he makes her not complain is by paying her off (or using his money to threaten her). From that, I can figure out that as long as he has the money to shut her up, you think we should leave it to them and not judge him. And from that, I can infer that this makes you either a misguided/ignorant human being that doesn't understand domestic violence, or simply a horrible one that doesn't care.

Nook likes this.
  20. raining threes

It came down to her either taking the $$$$ and letting him continue to play and support his child and her, or putting him in jail.

She took the $$$$, so she doesn't agree with you. I dont like Osuna the person, but I'm glad he's on the team. I also believe in second chances, obviously you dont and I get where you're coming from.

Nothing Taubman said should've lead to his firing except if he lied to the org, which would be stupid because he said nothing more than his opinion. These ladies need to grow thicker skin if they're gonig to be hanging out in MLB clubhouses.