1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 12, 2018.

1. red

red Contributing Member

Gattis makes me happy. Now if only the mariners would stop winning.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How do you explain him being in the lineup every single time Cole has pitched? Coincidence? Day game after a night game? For the most part he has been the worst offensive player all year. There certainly wasn't a day game after a night game the other 10 times he started when Cole pitched. Why do you find that such a hard concept to fathom?

3. Buck Turgidson

When he's got guys on base I want him to hit the ****ing ball. And he does. .330 with runners on, .444 with RISP coming into today. I'll take it.

Nook likes this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I would explain it by saying that coming in to the year it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he was going to suck as bad as he has. He may have still been the worst by default (even before the first game), because we have so much talent in the lineup, but I don't think anyone anticipated him being this bad. It seems like more of a rest thing to me in this situation. It's not like hinch would take a hot kemp out of the lineup in a hypothetical big game just because cole is a fly ball pitcher. Or, at least its my opinion that Hinch wouldn't. It's not a hard concept to fathom, and it may have been the case at certain points, but its certainly not a stat that holds much weight.

5. Buck Turgidson

Coming into today's game, Cole had given up 115 fly balls and 63 ground balls.

and also eta: Harris's curveball tonight looks like the old Harris curveball.

raining threes and texans1095 like this.
  6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

JAKE WITH THE PLAY OF THE YEAR

edit: exaggeration but WOW what a play!

7. HTown2017Champs

Yikes! Guduan! Jake just had an incredible defensive play, but that still doesn't hide the fact that Guduan almost gave up a second home run. Small sample size, but I think Guduan definitely still belongs in AAA once Smith returns.

8. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Yeah that could've turned ugly quick. Guduan isn't ready. Hard hit balls to each batter faced.

9. bobrek

And that's an example of why you want your best defensive outfielder in a game when an extreme fly ball pitcher starts (even though the reliever was in).

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

ok ok...im sorry jake, jesus leave me alone.

houstonstime likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Well, I hope this is not just a one-off for Jake. I hope he has many more games like this.

12. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Jake with a great game tonight when we loaded up the slander bus. Double that starts the beat down in the 2nd, robbing homers and making outfield assists, and now a homer. Granted it was off a position player, but he deserves major props tonight.

Literally added 4 runs in that sequence and probably saves Peacock from pitching in this game.

13. bobrek

Jake found a pitcher he can hit.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. bobrek

Jake has not had any defensive problems this year. He clearly has been overmatched offensively most every game.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

it was never a question of him adding value on defense....it was a question of how much value, when there is no value on the other side. Notwithstanding the bp homerun.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I didn’t realize it was a position player pitching. Still what a crush

17. Buck Turgidson

"Jake on Jake crime."

18. bobrek

And the vast majority of the year, Jake has been historically bad (considering the K/BB ration).

19. Nook

Nook Member

Haha home plate ump hosed Piscotty on two obvious balls, calling them strikes in the bottom of the 9th... obviously wanted to eat and sleep.

20. Buck Turgidson

What was that stat they just threw up...Jake leads the league in defensive runs saved or something like that? Ahead of Betts and another guy?