1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Kinda looks like hes holding a blunt for correa to smoke

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys forgot the most obvious thing ..........

Springer will bat leadoff !!!!

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I noticed, but resisted. :)

4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

This makes the team seem mentality fragile.

Your best teammate got hurt. Boo Hoo

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Think of it like DeShaun Watson goes down; then what? Answer: season over.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Agreed, but QBs are much more valuable than a single baseball player.

We just gotta hope Altuve stays healthy..... and DeShine :)

7. Buck Turgidson

I wish 3PM would hurry the hell up.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

3rd in the AL in August OPS (50+ PA), behind JD Martinez and Gallo. Marwin is 10th. I knew White was hot, didn't realize quite how hot.

9. HTown2017Champs

I was definitely aware that White is hot, I've read it on MLB.com, and heard it on the broadcast. What's very surprising to me is Gallo. I figured JD Martinez would be #1, but #2, I would have guessed Betts or Ramirez. Granted, I don't follow any other team like I follow the Astros, but Gallo improving his contact is a surprise. We all know he has a ton of power in his bat, but he's always struggled with making contact and seeing the ball. Also, I though Marwin would have been higher. I expect Martinez to win it, but rooting for White.

Is it worth giving Tucker another shot if Springer is out for an extended period? I'd say yes. Also, defensively, is he limited to being exclusively a corner OF, or is CF an option for him? Just curious, if he can also play CF that would be nice. He did briefly play CF at home in one game but other than that he's played only LF with the Astros.

10. Buck Turgidson

Tucker will be back in 6 days, I'd imagine, unless they DL Springer, then he's back before then.

Framber gets the start tomorrow, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Total spitballing on Sept callups: Fisher, Tucker, Davis, Col Perez, Deetz? Guduan? Straw?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You really think that's what it's about?

12. HTown2017Champs

Yep, I mentioned it on the first page. Before it was verbally announced he was written in the rotation section on the bottom of AJ's lineup card.

My predicted September callups: Fisher, Tucker, Davis, Reed, Straw, Stubbs, Perez, Deetz, James. Devo, McCann, and Marisnick return from the DL. Rodgers gets DFA'd to make room on the 40-man.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Okay. You quoted me instead of the guy who introduced the topic.

The team does seem a tad overly dependent of Jose.

Boston was able to split without Betts.

14. fiersdownbelow

Let's see if the Minnesota Scrubs and their "coach of the year" can take at least one game against the fugly A's.

15. bobrek

That already happened Thursday.

16. bobrek

Doubt they bring up that many guys. Not enough playing time for all of them.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who else were they missing?

Just with Altuve alone, those ahead and behind him see different pitches. Pitchers, when he's on base, have to pay more attention. His inclusion changes the entire lineup. Reducing the team's struggles to mental weakness because of one little player (pun intended) is shortsighted. It's an overall effect, too. Look at last night's lineup. Now, push everyone down a spot when Springer comes back. It's back to one of the best in the game.

18. Senator

Senator Member

Don't compare last year's playoffs to this year's. They have nothing to do with each other, and McCan has had completely different regular seasons, including an OPS of .600 this year.

Yuli's RISP avg is what he has going for him. He's been a disappointment given his contract and I'd like to start phasing him out. This is unpopular considering how easy his swing looks, but the results haven't been there. You ride the hot hand and I don't guarantee him an every day spot with how others have performed.

19. HTown2017Champs

You know, as unpopular as this is, I'm in full support of trading Gurriel and Reddick this offseason to dump some salary. Yes, they're fan favorites, I really love both of them, and thanks for the memories, but they aren't getting any younger, and our farm is stacked, and soon it'll be time to extend Cole, Bregman, Springer, Correa, etc. By unloading them, we take a ton of salary off the books, and can easily replace them internally with younger and cheaper options. Tucker and Davis are absolutely tearing it in AAA, and after ups and downs with Houston, it looks like they're ready to finally make the jump.

2019 Opening Day:

Springer CF
    Bregman 3B
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    White DH
    Tucker RF
    Davis 1B
    Realmuto C (trade off farm depth, we'll still be fine. If not re-sign Maldonado or go after Grandal)
    Kemp LF

Bench: Stubbs, Marisnick, Gonzalez (resign)

Nothing wrong with that lineup at all. I'd feel very confident with it going into the start of next season.

20. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

What about Davis tells you he is finally ready to make the jump? He’s consistently been good at AAA and terrible in the majors.