1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 5, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

On the flip side, they have also won games they should have lost.

No Worries likes this.
  2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This team kinda is putting it all together--I guess it depends what you mean by that. I don't think "putting it all together" means having everything clicking at the same time constantly. And I don't think this team is going to win more than 106 games (current pace). To me, it means picking guys up who are slumping, making up for issues like Fiers, etc.--because this is a 162 game season with ebbs and flows for a variety of reasons.

I suppose you could be saying we could be doing what the Nats and Yankees are doing right now.. but that's such a small difference from where we're at, and I'm sure those teams going to slump some from where they're at eventually.

3. conquistador#11

i find teams that end up with 110+ wins to be fascist, not 1930s Italia, but in bull durham's usage of the word. I like some adversity, coming out of nowhere to put on a late run. It's more democratic that way.
    It all depends on taste I guess.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Makes sense. There was a theory that wild card teams were more prepared for the post-season as they'd usually had experienced some sort of recent adversity.

I don't think it played out in the end, or there needs to be more sample size to see if there's a real effect or not.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with an Astros fascist regime that rules over Major League ball for the next few years with multiple World Series Championships. If a few Ranger teams have to be broken in the process, so be it.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Against a fairly weak schedule so far

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Total wins isn't really my point. I mean winning games that we should, locking games down in the late innings, smart situational baseball, and beating the top teams in the AL more than they beat us. So far, it's been a success so not complaining. Yet it's clear to see we aren't clicking on all cylinders and of course I wouldn't imply that we have to be clicking on all cylinders all the time. It's more of just a feel of where we are at right now and while we are playing well, I think there are obvious things we could improve on and I think we will improve them.

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

makes sense. I guess I'm just saying, while those things you mention are likely to improve, I still expect some issues to pop up--whether that means Devo/Keuchel giving up some runs, someone important getting hurt for a few weeks, a prolonged slump out of a key player, etc. It's probably false hope to think that "we'll eventually fix these 3 things, and then we'll be great because nothing else will change". Definitely have to keep working to improve.

The king above all the random factors is a baseline talent improvement via trade or possibly promotion, so we'll see if that factors in as well of course.

Joe Joe likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah, as i stated, not really looking for all cylinders to be clicking at all times. Also, I never mentioned injuries simply because it's not in the team's control. What I mean is doing the things that win games consistently throughout the season- things within the team's control.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Altuve recently passed JR Richard in franchise WAR leaders. Joe Niekro is on deck.

I've only seen 8 of the Top 24 play as an Astro... but 4 of the top 6.

I believe DK might be 25th. Recall seeing him within the past year.

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Astros schedule will get tougher. Our division doesn't look like much and we've played them plenty.

One good thing is most our losses are 1 or 2 runs. When we lose, we barely lose.

We're also capable of winning close games and blowing teams out, Blast-style.

#552 Houstunna, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

AL West teams are above 0.500 outside division. It only looks weak because the AL West have played the Astros a lot and lost.

Edit: can't do math. Almost 0.500.

#553 Joe Joe, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    BigM likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Right. Was calling the division mediocre, not bad. A couple games over .500 would equal the same thought.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

On this astros off-night i came across one of the most eye-opening baseball stories I've ever read. Haven't checked the source, but its from a Baseball Prospectus chat: link.

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

@Coach Flip confirmed

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You got me.

#billgatesmoney

Pen15clubber likes this.