1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That video said that 15% of emissions are from the meat industry and as in any industry there are trade offs.

You still did not answer my initial question.

That video was not great on the topic we were talking about it was more of an animal cruelty thing.

#861 jiggyfly, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I honestly hate the comparisons to past changes in the workforce as examples of why this one won't be traumatic.

1) Past "revolutions" by their nature created new jobs, just different jobs. This one is literally replacing workers with non-workers.
    2) Past MAJOR revolutions, like say the industrial revolution, absolutely caused worldwide violent upheaval.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess the logic is that we can always create more not-exactly-necessary jobs out of thin air. :D

"Hey, we came up with advertising and making caffe lattes to help employ people after the last major shift, so..."
    (I mean no disrespect but advertising did largely arise after the industrial revolution, and our service economy exploded as manufacturing started to die.)

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I love seeing this, but I hate the reaction of many Yang Gangers.

"Must be desperate" "Copycat!" "They're stealing our ideas!"

The goal isn't to win the Presidency. The goal is to have whoever is the President champion the Yang platform.

When Joe Biden started talking about the 4th industrial revolution and automation on Colbert I was so happy.

This campaign has moved the Overton window so much with so little it should have a place in the political hall of fame.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

BS Jobs

Have you ever had a job where you stopped and asked yourself: what am I doing here? If I quit tomorrow, would anyone even notice?

In 2013, anthropologist David Graeber wrote an article in which he described these types of positions as "bullshit jobs." He received a flood of responses from people for whom this label struck a chord — people who felt their work was, essentially, meaningless.

"People would say things like, 'Oh my God, it's true. I'm a corporate lawyer. I contribute nothing to humanity, I'm just miserable all the time.' I realized this was a much larger phenomenon than I had imagined," he says.

Graeber says the stories he heard from workers are reinforced by recent surveys. In 2015, YouGov, a market research company, conducted a poll in London to understand how British workers felt about their jobs. Londoners were asked, "Is your job making a meaningful contribution to the world?" Thirty-seven percent of respondents said no. Graeber believes the number is probably higher than that. This week on Hidden Brain, Shankar Vedantam talks with Graeber about the rise of bullshit jobs and how these positions can affect the people who hold them.

VEDANTAM: What do you think, David? If we didn't have BS jobs, how would millions of people get paid?

GRAEBER: Well, there's a lot of ways you could solve that problem. Probably the easiest one would be just pay everybody, and then let them sort out what they do for themselves because, you know, we have this idea that's drilled into our heads that people want something for nothing, but as I say, the very fact that people who are actually paid to do nothing are so unhappy shows that that's not really true. People really do want to have an effect on the world around them.

I always give the example of prisons. Obviously, in America, you know, they basically force people to work, but even where they don't - you know, where they have really nice prisons - they use withdrawing your work privileges as a way of punishing you. That is to say, you know, given a choice between sitting around playing cards or watching TV all day and pressing shorts in the prison laundry room - you know? - even these mostly rather antisocial people, you know, would actually rather work than just sit around.

So people want to work. I - so I kind of support universal basic income. I've kind of come around to the position that that's probably the best solution. If we just give people - you know, we say like, OK, all this technology, all these robots, you know, it's produced collectively by all of us. It's not like one person came up with that. That's a product of, you know, us and our ancestors doing hundreds of years of thinking and laboring, so let's pay us all back for that work, you know? Let's give everybody a basic income and leave it up to you to decide what to do.

snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Cover of Newsweek. Hell yes!

[​IMG]

Hakeemtheking and ryan_98 like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

At the least I hope he gets a Secretary of Labor position if the Dems win, the man deserves that much. I wish he could win it all but he's still polling around 2%.

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I bet if Ds win he will get some kind of administration position in the WH.

10. dmoneybangbang

We can always build stuff or engage in more Moon Landing and Human Genome styled major projects.

11. pirc1

If we can get the ships to travel fast enough, I can see many people go out and colonize the solar system and beyond.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does he deserve that position?

What real world experience does he have for the job?

Yang did not create the idea of UBI and was not the 1st to talk about the perils of automation these ideas have been around for at least 5 years and I am not even sure he has the best ideas to combat these things.

13. dmoneybangbang

Don’t even need to do that, let’s get some more unmanned missions going to explore the solar system first.

14. pirc1

Still comes down to current tech is not fast enough, we need at least an impulse engine if we cannot get warp engines. :)

15. dmoneybangbang

I hear you, but I don’t think current tech should prevent us from continuing to explore. We got plenty of great data from the missions of the past decade.

pirc1 likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He was the only one who thinks it’s serious enough to talk about it as part of a presidential campaign.

Others may have spotted the problem , but there was like zero national dialogue around it until Yang brought it to the forefront .

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Automation and AI will be a big issue in regards to how people are employed in the immediate future. It's not illegal immigration which has been scapegoated by those who don't understand as the culprit of our manufacturing decline.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The ideas being around for awhile is one thing. Having the ideas seriously discussed by the Democratic Presidential candidates is entirely another.

19. VanityHalfBlack

#879 VanityHalfBlack, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is just untrue I have been hearing about these things for about 3 years.

How does talking about an issue gives you the bonafides to be president?

What is his actual expertise on solving these issues?