1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, he's fairly popular out here. By far the most 2020 bumper-stickers, etc, in San Francisco anyway.
    Probably a tech bro type phenomenon, but it's real enough. Harris is a popular-enough senator here, but that's it.

LOL @ Steyer @ 1% on his home turf. Needs to withdraw yesterday.

ryan_98 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@BruceAndre too

I’ve been backreading a bit and would be happy to discuss what I think about inflation with y’all if you’re still interested.

Cliff notes
    1) just cause everyone is getting money doesn’t mean they will spend it.

2) even if everyone did spend it it doesn’t mean that prices would go up. That depends on the level of competition . McDonald’s isn’t going to all of a sudden start charging 10 bucks for a burger because if they do ... whataburger will be happy to charge 8 and steal customers .

3) inflation by itself isn’t bad , it depends on the level . The fed has actually been trying to get inflation UP , and pumped in 4 trillion dollars with quantitative easing and that didn’t bring up rates much at all .

The UBI isn’t going to give everyone an extra 1000 dollars purchasing power every month . I’m sure the prices of some goods will go up , the question is are you able to make yourself better off because of it .

I’m fairly convinced of yes .

Hakeemtheking and JuanValdez like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know what to think of Yang.

4. biff17

biff17 Member

He is not really wanting a discussion.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He needs to play this before his speeches to get the crowd hyped.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If Yang is supported by tech bros then it's time I reevaluate my position on him.

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. B-Bob

Ha! Well, I have no idea. The stickers aren’t exactly on Teslas, so it could be normal people.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

You've been out in NoCal too long if you consider the average tech cubicle drone to be "normal people".

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nearly crapped myself when I saw this. It's a tremendous accomplishment. However, the survey is of less than 500 voters, so I will temper my enthusiasm for now. BUT it's important to remember California moved its primary date up so it is *much* more important than in years past. A strong showing there could vault any stalled campaign all the way to the convention.

Given that we're not printing new money I'd say it is on the doubters to prove this will cause inflation, not the other way around. The most plausible unintended consequence I can foresee is minor inflation in rural and poor areas (because the proportionate income increase will be much larger than in sub & urban areas), although that will be accompanied by a big jump in standard of living too, so it's a wash.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

He's good in long form interviews.

marks0223 and B-Bob like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

RIP to Yangs support on ClutchFans lmao.

What would likely affect the price, potentially more then a carbon/methane tax, is if we stopped subsidizing the growth of cow feed too.

I wouldn't single out animal agriculture, but I definitely would include it with a general carbon tax on all industry.

14. Commodore

a tax on beef would be highly regressive

15. B-Bob

what if we start fining people based on how much methane they emit?

I'm down with that. I have some stinky work colleagues. (You have no idea what's it like, working with scientists. Nose pickers, poor bathers, farters... all your stereotypes are for real.)

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Beyond meat would be happy.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yup . But for real , if we DO care about the climate we will have go make tough choices about our consumption.

Maybe start off with a lower carbon tax rate for beef given it’s something people eat a lot of.

18. Commodore

climate change is a busybody do-gooder's wet dream

gives them a pretense to control nearly every aspect of our lives

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Beef isn't healthy. US beef consumption has decreased by about 1/5(!) since around 2000... the trend continue. I think meat producer only account for about 3% of emission in the US (15% worldwide). Here in the US, it doesn't need to be a major focus - yes, it can be part of the overall carbon tax, allowing the market dynamic to work it's magic. But it's shouldn't be that big of a focus here in the US. Politically, if you are smart IMO and want to get things done for climate change, this is something you want to punt on. The ROI isn't good. Focusing on energy is a much better ROI - which also affect meat production impact on emission.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can't run now you sinful heathens!