1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Amy Klobuchar for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

baller4life315 and B-Bob like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

I suspect Bloomberg is out in 1-2 weeks. For all his gazillions in spending, he hasn't really put anything into post-Super-Tuesday states. Tomorrow is his high-water mark and it doesn't look to be too high.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

My bad, I thought she'd already dropped out or switched parties or something.

Should have prefaced with "serious" candidate, or candidate who has at least 1 pledged delegate, etc....

baller4life315 likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

You didn’t need to everyone got what you meant

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh is she really?

I really liked her but there was no even remotely possible end game here for her as a candidate.

She gets to bow out and not be labeled a loser so she can run in the future if so inclined.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

She passed up the opportunity to win - yes, win - her home state. She also could have tried to see if any Pete supporters latched on, and reevaluate after seeing just how badly she trailed after Super Tuesday. Hell, that’s essentially what Warren is doing.

Bowing out and endorsing before Super Tuesday is a pretty obvious indicator a deal was reached. At least that’s the way I see it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sure. flying directly to Texas (not Minny) to stand arm-in-arm with Biden tonight and announce her endorsement? she's definitely playing team ball.

9. Major

Major Member

She also passed up the embarassment of *losing* her home state. I think that one works either way because it was a sort of toss-up. It really hurts your brand as the the midwesterner who overperforms and has won all her elections when can't win your home state. Regardless, I think it was a good decision for everyone.

10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob, pirc1, RayRay10 and 1 other person like this.
  11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That wasn’t going to happen. She had a comfortable lead, but I digress. You’re right that it’s the right decision.

Curious about your thoughts on Warren, though. She’s the one that’s likely going to lose her own state.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We need more team players, would she be interested in any cabinet level positions? Or would she stay on as senator. There are not too many position one would take over a senator.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think Obama and Pelosi made some phone calls this weekend. Regardless it was the right move. Had Biden lost SC though, I think it would have been Biden dropping out. Now he's basically going to have the entire party backing him vs. Bernie and possibly vs. Trump.

I have to say that the Joe Biden we've seen the past few weeks vs. the first year of the campaign I feel MUCH better about. He's been much more sharp lately, and has some pep in his step.

I also think that he's got a good relationship with Bernie that few of the other candidates have that could help either way to bring the party together after whoever wins wins in a few months. However if Pete and Amy would have stayed in they would have handed the nomination to Bernie. Love or hate Bernie, it's a good thing for the party for him to win the nomination the right way by building a coalition, and not just winning via a base strategy with a fragmented electorate.

14. Major

Major Member

Betting markets had Amy at 50% chance of winning in MN, but I hadn't look at any polls.

I'd say the same about Warren, but she's not an up and comer, so she doesn't have much to lose. She's not running for any other office down the line. She also has a ton of infrastructure in these Super Tuesday states and looks like she'll collect a bunch of delegates tomorrow in other states (California, especially), so she could wield some power at the convention if it comes down to it. Amy wasn't going to get any outside of MN, unfortunately.

baller4life315, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

538 had it as a virtual tie in Minnesota between Bernie/Klobuchar. There wasn't a lot of polling. The RCP average is more than a week old and had Amy up 6 in Minnesota but Bernie was working hard in that state to win it.

The whole point to Amy staying in was because Biden might not even be viable in Minnesota (15%). Bernie had a real shot, 50/50 to win Minnesota.

Major likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised. Kudos to Amy for dropping out when it still means something.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sanders had a rally tonight in St. Paul. It would've been both difficult and awkward to try to do a rally for Biden on short notice in MN, also given that Biden doesn't have much of a shot in MN.

One other issue is that her having to cancel her rally yesterday because of BLM was a major embarrassment and showed how difficult of a road she had winning minority votes. I'm surprised she didnt' tap Tyesha Edwards' family in this race like she did in previous races.

FranchiseBlade likes this.