1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Amy Klobuchar for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Kamala Harris is a self serving narcissist POS that only cares about what helps herself. We already have one of those in the Whitehouse and we don’t need a second one.

If the Democrats win in 2020 they will throw a bone at her feet as spoils. I just really hope she isn’t a VP nominee or eventually attorney general of the US.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

She's polling at 10 percent in Iowa and rising. Ignore national polling at the moment; if she cracks that into that top 4 in Iowa (I believe Buttigieg and one other were tied at 14%) watch out. Could provide the requisite momentum for New Hampshire and beyond. That being said, it's either Top 4 or bust. If she remains 5th or worse in Iowa on caucus day, I think you can properly write her off.

B-Bob, RayRay10 and baller4life315 like this.
  3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Keep in mind you’re dealing with whiny Bernie people that are sick of people landing punches against their guy.

And sadly, for their sake, with Amy reaching 10 points in NH in a recent poll, they will likely have to endure at least one more debate of this.

TheFreak likes this.
  4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I’d love for Klobuchar to beat Mayor Pete in Iowa and New Hampshire; just never been sold on him and his lack of experience...wish he would run for Governor or a House or Senate seat.

If she can do that, she’ll be in position to start picking off Biden voters or be one solid debate away from being a true contender (she really needs to start going after Biden a little bit though...he’s like a sacred cow to her).

But, in reality, Klobuchar and Mayor Pete are in the same conundrum that Warren and Bernie are in...they need the other to drop out to have a true chance at winning. Otherwise, Biden’s going to end up winning or getting too big a lead before it’s too late.

Corrosion, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That’s cool and all....but when I sell her to people, I find it much easier to use the “Arguably has the best general election strategy” and “She’s won massive victories in a purple state — something nobody on that stage has done” arguments instead.

It’s important to remind people the only thing that matters in November is reaching 270. Klobuchar can get us there.

astros123, mikol13, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Oh I agree. I think subconscious things play a big role as well, and the article makes some sense. But yes, I sell people on the fact that there is almost no angle to attack her. Her political background is rock-solid and she hails from a key state in 2020 with bi-partisan support

astros123, mikol13, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm leaning more and more towards her as she seems to be the only adult in the room right now. I'd like to see her get to 3rd in NH tomorrow. If she has a strong showing that finishes ahead of Biden and Warren, things are going to get real interesting.

Nook, joshuaao, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

She has indeed jumped to third place in two new polls conducted after the last debate. #Klomentum

Nook, mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

She's probably jumped to my to choice since my boy Yang is done. Still say he'd be a perfect VP though.

Nook, astros123, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In theory, yes...I just don't feel like he brings any excitement to the ticket. If Klobuchar wins the nomination, she's probably going to have to go with someone progressive (and more well known) to solidify the base.

12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Cory Booker

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree, reluctantly.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good analysis of Klobuchar's chances in NH and beyond

https://theweek.com/articles/894951/why-amy-klobuchar-win-by-subtraction

excerpt:

The case for Klobuchar is, fundamentally, that she's the candidate Republicans would have the hardest time mobilizing against, because she's just not that scary to them.

This would be true even if the campaign had proceeded differently until this point. Klobuchar's biography and legislative history make her a relatively difficult target for Republican demonization. They'll surely come up with something, but the trivial attack lines against her competition — that she's doddering, that she's an extremist, that she's a "deep-state" insider, that she's a neophyte, that she's an out-of-touch elitist — won't apply. But it's especially true given that, were she to actually win the nomination, she would have done so precisely as the candidate of realism, and the candidate against revolution, because that has been her brand the whole campaign. Plus she would have done it without the personal resources of a billionaire like Mike Bloomberg.

Klobuchar flips on its head the logic of all the other campaigns. From their perspective, Trump's voters are a given: He's got the passionate support of white evangelical Christians, rural voters, men without college degrees, and partisan Republicans of all stripes. Democrats need to run up the margin in the cities and suburbs, and among women and minorities, to overwhelm their numbers. That's what happened in 2018, when the Democrats and Republicans both achieved high turnout, and the Democrats were able to take the House.

But in that same wave election, the Democrats lost ground in the Senate. Strong Democratic turnout wasn't enough to overcome the partisan Republican advantage in states like Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, or Texas, or even in Florida. And a major reason was that the Kavanaugh hearings energized the Republican electorate to come out in force.​

Nook, RayRay10, astros123 and 3 others like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

While we agree on Kolbuchar .... we're polar opposite on Booker . He's just a bad joke to me.

That media stunt he pulled a few months back in El Paso ... bringing back two women who had been legally deported by an immigration judge was a WTF moment for me.

Immigration is a big deal and most are simply against the illegal kind and want people to go thru the legal process - and he flat out **** on that process for his personal political gain.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Free office supplies for everybody!

joshuaao likes this.
  17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Wasn’t aware of that, but yeah I agree that’s messed up. He does go over the top sometimes and it gives him that “boy who cried wolf” feel. I’d be fine with another VP choice but it’s hard to think of exciting names in Washington lol

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"This Amy Klobuchar could beat Trump. Where has she been all year?"

N.B. @Sweet Lou 4 2 : THIS IS AN OPINION PIECE IN THE WASHINGTON POST. AS IN, "IN" THE WASHINGTON POST. THIS OPINION PIECE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE EDITORS OF THE WASHINGTON POST. JUST THE VIEWS OF THE OPINION COLUMNIST.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...could-beat-trump-where-has-she-been-all-year/

This Amy Klobuchar could beat Trump. Where has she been all year?

By
    Megan McArdle
    Columnist
    Feb. 11, 2020 at 11:08 p.m. EST

CONCORD, N.H. — Amy Klobuchar is glowing — on fire, really. And a rapt victory party is basking in it. They laugh at her jokes. They boo her mentions of President Trump. They hush into perfect stillness when she tells the sad story of getting kicked out of the hospital too soon after giving birth, and leaving behind her critically ill newborn daughter. Most of this is her standard stump speech, the well-honed anecdotes and applause lines that I remember from Iowa. But something is palpably different about her delivery: she’s standing up straighter, smiling bigger, delivering the folksy bits with a little more snap. Her audience obviously feels it too.

Where the heck has this Amy Klobuchar been for the last year? I’ve had my eye on her ever since that electric moment when Brett M. Kavanaugh snapped at her during the brutal last phase of his confirmation hearing, asking her if she’d ever blacked out, after she’d asked the same of him. Klobuchar responded, not with the scenery-chewing histrionics her colleagues had resorted to when challenged, but with a gimlet eye and a chilly smile. Kavanaugh later apologized.

There, I thought. There is a lady who could stand up to Trump’s abuse in a debate without blinking or getting rattled.

But in the intervening year, that Amy Klobuchar seemed to vanish; the stand-in she sent out was a moderate too restrained to keep the other Democratic candidates from talking over her on stage. That’s who I saw on the stump in Iowa: A senator whose platform was eminently sensible, and far more likely to actually pass than the radical promises of Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). A woman whose vision was far more practical than the bafflegab former South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg offered about ushering in a vague — but golden! — new era in Washington. But also, in some voters’ eyes, a nice lady who wasn’t going to be president.

All that changed in a single debate last Friday night, when the old Amy, with the courage born of desperation, stormed out on stage and made her case forcefully for pragmatic moderation rather than glittering impracticalities. And darned if it doesn’t seem to have worked, at least on New Hampshire voters, many of whom told exit pollsters that they made up their minds in the final days before the primary. As of this writing, there are still many votes to be counted, but it’s nonetheless clear that Amy Klobuchar has come in third in New Hampshire — and tantalizingly close to Buttigieg and Sanders.

The question is whether she has enough time left to get this done. Klobuchar has been running a shoestring campaign, and though it seems likely she’ll get a boost in polls and fundraising, she now has to build up her organization almost overnight in order to take on the later states. She also needs to knock out Buttigieg and run a gantlet constructed of the Bloomberg billions. All on the strength of an unexpected third-place finish.

To meet that challenge, she has the following weapons: First, she is a woman, and it’s clear that, despite concerns about the power of sexism to drag down female candidates, some portion of the Democratic electorate is ready to vote for a woman, almost any woman. “It’s time,” a woman told me at a Warren rally on Monday, to vigorous nods from the women around her. But I heard the same thing from a man, Isaac Epstein of Dover, whose four-month-old son, Saul, was adorably decked out in Warren gear.

“I’ve been pretty sure since the last election that I’d be voting for a woman this year,” he said cheerfully. It seems reasonable to assume that if Warren drops out, some of his counterparts in other states will migrate to Klobuchar over Sanders.

Second, Klobuchar’s main competition in the moderate lane seems to be consolidating to the precocious former mayor of a very small city, and the septuagenarian former mayor of a very big one, with all the baggage both imply. Klobuchar, at 59, with her national experience, might just turn out to be the Goldilocks candidate for those voters.

And third is the fact that she’s actually very good on the stump, when she lets herself be: funny, warm and sincere. I attended a Klobuchar rally on Monday where I ran into a group of six women, all die-hard Democrats, and most of them still undecided. At the end of the rally, the first one where I really saw the Full Amy, I asked them what they thought now.

“I think she might have done it for me,” said one of them, with a little of Klobuchar’s shine in her own eyes. In that moment I watched her decide. “Yes,” she said, “she did it.”

Now all Amy Klobuchar needs is to do it again, another 65 million times or so.

19. TheresTheDagger

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah that caption is misleading af. The bulk of her speech was that we need to streamline the process for people waiting to get in legally and provide a pathway to citizenship to those who have been here awhile. Completely in line with the democratic message in 2020

Nook, Corrosion, joshuaao and 3 others like this.