1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 7, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think we can now truly understand how good our team was this year.

2. HstnSprtsFan101

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Royals have absolutely exploded in this 12th inning

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Royals are your WS champions; yes I am still salty. We were so close to eliminating them

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

On October 12, 2015, the Royals were 6 outs away from being eliminated by the Astros.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

Royals were the best team in the postseason. Well deserved.

7. HstnSprtsFan101

When you get to the playoffs you can throw all that sabremetrics **** out of the window. The Royals were relentless & clutch.. We need to try and follow their mold as much we can with bullpen help & adding higher OBP hitters.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

F**k their mold.

We have our own plan, and it's a good one, we don't need to emulate anybody. They earned this WS, and I'm not going to discredit that. But we are still in our formative years and we went blow for blow with them. We do need to add higher OBP guys, but believe it or not that is some of that metric s**t, not a Royals trade secret.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Only thing you need to "follow" is the importance of a dominant, deep bullpen with guys that can fill multiple roles.

I am glad the Royals won, I like how they play, they are a small market team that hadn't won in 30 years.... but for all the credit their hitters are getting, it is the pen that was soul crushing for other teams.

There is no set mold, just build a great team that can compete year in and year out.... The Royals win will probably mean the cost of dominant pen arms will ever go up MORE than recent seasons and contact hitters with a good glove (Gordon) will get even more money than anticipated.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The most impressive thing about the Royals is they don't give up at bats or even pitches. Every hitter battles for every single pitch, it's amazing. The mental strength to do that over the looooonnnng baseball season plus postseason is amazing. Mentally they get it done but technically too!!! It seems every hitter is capable of (and does) changing their approach as required by the situation.

In contrast to the young Astros, I felt we gave up a ton on some at-bats including this post season. Not naming names, you guys know, if it was 0-2 or 1-2 I knew it was over. I knew the player wouldn't change their approach and wouldn't battle. It was their AB way or the highway.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think there is a misconception that the Astros look for HR or K players, and that's not the case. Luhnow looked for guys that could provide affordable improvement, not realizing we would be contenders. We had a flawed, but still productive offense.

A high k rate isn't something that scares us, but a team full of guys that don't get on base isn't an ideal formula, and Luhnow knows that. This is still a work in progress.

12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The major difference between Royals and Astros are 2, bullpen and they have a DH, beside that, we have a better team and much better prospects for the future.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

KC ranked 7th in OBP, we ranked 8th.

A couple plays in the field, and we likely beat KC and go onto the ALCS. We don't need to try and follow anybody's mold.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They did also lead the league in fewest K's.... some may say that's not important, but I do think it helps them more than hurts them. Especially in late game situations where they find a way to put the ball in play.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It would be nice to strikeout less.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“I was thinking about congratulat(ing) the Astros in my press conference,” Yost said. “I mean, I really was.”
    <a href="https://t.co/sJs9vQ5UTT">https://t.co/sJs9vQ5UTT</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/661202125888753664">November 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They had the champs.
    Royals' Lorenzo Cain on Game 4 of ALDS vs Astros “(I’m not gonna) lie, it was a little nervous” <a href="https://t.co/TR6k8f3ta4">https://t.co/TR6k8f3ta4</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/661116622074216449">November 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy crap, that stings.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

sucks right now, but this experience will make our team stronger in the long run.

that 8th inning doesnt take away from our wildly successful season, nor does it damper our very bright future. Royals were a phenomenal team. We have a lot to learn from them (and we're not that far behind).

Next year will be a dog fight with LAA reupping, and with Yu coming back. Time to focus on the offseason!

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

The Astros were the only team to beat the Royals at Kauffman in the postseason and had them on the brink of elimination. Not bad for a team in their first postseason in 10 years. I can't say enough about the Royals. That is one of the most amazing play-off runs I've ever seen. Their entire bullpen should have gotten the MVP, and they did it with Greg Holland being gone for the season before the play-offs even started. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. They forced teams to win the game against their starting pitching or it was GG. Even if you did score runs, their lineup was stacked that no lead was safe.

IMO, Luhnow should roll the dice on getting a stingy bullpen, because I think the Astros can definitely beat the Royals in a play-off series.