1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] AFC & NFC Championship Games

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sajan, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Joe Flacco didnt have to play his best ball...but when called upon he had to deliver...and did he deliver on excellent throws to Pitta...and 2 to Boldin...Jim Caldwell unlocked the secret that has made Flacco a better QB...bc he was awful during the end of the season...

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

When has Schaub ever thrown on the run and it wasn't a called bootleg?

Flacco can make all the throws Schaub can make and then some.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rocket River will appreciate the first tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Suggs: "That's funny, ever since SpyGate they haven't been able to win."</p>&mdash; Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/293196819922563072" data-datetime="2013-01-21T03:22:23+00:00">January 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Suggs has calmed down: "All BS aside they are a hell of a ball club ... They have the right to be arrogant."</p>&mdash; Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/293198098962976769" data-datetime="2013-01-21T03:27:28+00:00">January 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#383 J.R., Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That is my point. I feel the Texans are just as talented (or talent-less) as the Ravens are... but didn't execute when it mattered.

It also doesn't mean EVERYTHING gets thrown under the bus (coaching, play-calling, game management), but they all need to get better, especially at THIS time of the year.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Well the Ravens' D was 17th-ranked in the league this year. Ask yourself why? Do you ever think they are the 17th-ranked D if they are all healthy?

They are not the best overall team, but they are one of the best teams. It's always hard to exactly determine who is the best team in football every year b/c it's one game wins all, not a series. Do you think the Giants could beat the Patriots in those 2 years if it was a 3 or 5 game series? No, I don't think so. But the Giants were the champions.

The Ravens were a hot pick to make it to the SB prior to all their injuries. So no, if they were healthy all year, I would say a lot of people would be picking them. Too bad for most betting men they got healthy right when the playoffs start.

Anyways, I'm done with these what ifs scenarios you're playing. The Ravens are the AFC champions. They deserve that title b/c they beat the supposed 2 best teams on the road.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Things learned from this game:

1. even if we played today, we would've lost...Ravens look like the team of destiny...in a field with manning and Brady...Ravens beat the best QB's in our game...

2. The importance of good LB play...man do these guys hit or what...and the keep hitting hard...that fumble inducing hit by pollard is why i loved him when he was here...someone is gonna get a hurt...and boy did Ridley fall like crumpled paper

3. The importance of in game adjustments... The Ravens kept running the ball on 1st down and got nothing...but on the start of the 3rd quarter, the Ravens gave the pats a taste of their own medicine running spread and allowing Joe to pick out the weak link...which were their safeties...

4. The need of having ur best hands receiver play the slot...and letting your burners just keep running deep routes...Torey Wilson and JJones kept their Corners occupied...but Boldin just punished them in the 3rd and 4th quarters...Perhaps the Texans should move Andre to the slot and draft WR#1 (and ILB 2nd)..Boldin just kept out jumping their safeties..it was comical

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

And execution separates a lot of teams (or individual players). A TON of teams are very close in terms of talent, but how a team executes/performs determines the final result.

And I can give you quite a few examples where great team talent doesn't always translate into wins.

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Obviously.

That being said, teams can't get to 12 wins on talent alone. The Texans need to figure out how to fix the "lack of execution"... namely, how to become an elite running team again. That should help prevent the defense from giving up 40+ points each week.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Texans need to learn to PUNISH receivers
    I think that maybe Kareem is the only one that brings the wood in the secondary

If you cannot keep up with the Receivers. . . make sure you punish them for catching.
    OH an stop the YAC

Rocket River

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd rather they cover the receivers well... and punish the QB.

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

That only works because the defense knows that Flacco can go deep on any play. Schaub not so much.

13. Raven

Raven Member

McNair (the billionaire) makes tons of money and is probably going to get another SB in Houston. He reeks of being a company man, so that's the type of coach he hires, a company man just like him. Let's not assume that losing bothers Uncle Bob as much as it bothers Texans' fans. There's no proof of that.

Kubiak should have gotten his walking papers three years ago, so it's obvious that McNair has a different standard of success than most Houston fans do. His standard of success probably involves the business side more than the Championship side, so the fact that the Texans are one of the most valuable sports franchises in the entire pro sports world is enough to keep him satisfied.

But he will be 80 by the time Schaub's contract (and career) come to an end, so we can expect changes before the end of the decade. We just have to be patient.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW....I was wrong for both games. 0_o

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I always liked Bernard Pollard.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Rooting for the 49ers. Hate the Ravens. But the Ravens have more experience. Not sure the Copernicus' running ability will help against a defense that must support it's front 4 from the back. It is an xfactor though. So should be interesting. Think the 9ers should come out throwing intermediate routes to attack what will be an overly agressive Ravens Defense. The TE spot should be able to take advantage early.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am starting to wonder if I will live long enough to see any Houston team win a championship. The memories of the Hakeem era are all I have. We just never to seem to get the owners with common sense. We just get these air headed blabbermouths who sound like PR machines. Blah, blah, blah.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Matt Ryan played very bad the 2nd half.

a fumble, an INT, a lot of underthrows including the last one to a wide open player, that probably would've won the game, and other to julio jones, that had to stop because the ball was still in the air, and the defender knocked the ball.

the same things that schaub gets blamed for.

also props to the baltimore defense, they really played well, unlike the texans D.

Wade Phillips really needs to check the gameplan of this game, if he wants to stop elite QBs.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

At the end of the day he will go into the HOF with atleast 3 titles

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well the pick wasn't his fault since Roddy slipped.

But basically Atlanta wins with a touchdown in the 2nd half at some point in the 2nd half. Instead it was a shutout. With all that talent on offense that should never happened.

The Atlanta Falcons don't have any killer instinct that is what kept them from winning this game and almost lost them the game last week.