1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Then why did you click the thread..............women!

Here's a WTF if found on
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-hou

Pick 16 (151) Frank Okam DT 6'5" 320 Texas
    Pick Analysis:Okam has the ability to be a starting offensvie guard in the NFL. He has outstanding athletic ability and talent. He just needs to make up his mind that he wants to do it. He is very bright and could have gone to medical or law school if he chose that path. His only knock is that he does not always seem to care about playing football and lacks passion.

You know, he could be an offensive guard, I guess. I never thought of that.
    To me, he's a big ol' immovable object lined up over center and that is a disruptive to run blocking as an edge rusher is to the passing game. I'd sign him, give him an unlimited expense account to the Kountry Kitchen Buffet and get 4 or 5 good years out of him. Then he could sign a deal with Trim Spa, get his law degree at South Texas and be the future Texas State Senator from the 23 thrd district.

Sheeeeet.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe not. But some competition at QB can't hurt, especially when both QBs are young and are unproven. I bet that Brohm ends up being the starter sometime during next season.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Pick 16 (223) Alex Brink QB 6'2" 212 Washington State
    Pick Analysis:A three-year starter at Washington State. He's got very good numbers and college production. He was highly sought after coming out of high school and has some raw talent.

Waste. He won't even get to hold the clipboard.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Is there nobody left they wanted, or are they still trying to trade Rosenfels?

5. gucci888

Don't think the Texans are interested in trading Rosenfels anymore, he's a proven backup that could fill in should Schaub go down.

I know nothing about Brink but in the 7th round, I don't think it really matters who you pick up. Hopefully the Texans can grab a couple nice undrafted FAs as well. I know we just picked up Okam, but I would like to see Derek Lokey (Texas-DT) get a look, I actually like him more than Okam.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Did that Army guy get selected?

Good second day for the Texans. This seems to be a general pattern for the Texans. I hated the Mario Williams pick, but loved the later picks. I wasn't in love with the Okoye pick, but liked the later picks. Same for this year.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

I agree about Lokey. Someone is going to get themselves a solid DT if they bring him in as an undrafted FA (assuming he doesn't go here at the end.) He's a guy with great strength and a much better motor than Okam, imo. Not that Okam doesn't have talent, but I think the reports out there are pretty spot on. Has weight issues, doesn't play all out all the time, etc.

For the record, I like the Texans draft. Not crazy about the Slaton pick, but he fits the system better than some others. He could be a good complementary back. I do like Adibi, and I hope he's more than just a great college player.

8. junglerules

junglerules Member

I think the Army Guy, Caleb Campbell I think his name is, was drafted by Det. in round 7.

9. gucci888

I wasn't a huge fan of Slaton at WVU but he does have homerun ability and is good value in the 3rd round. If our O-Line can get a hold of Gibb's ZB-scheme, Slaton has a chance to put up some good numbers.

Adibi is a good pick as well, good athlete that can cover as well. With a suspect secondary, that could prove to be big for us.

10. tulexan

tulexan Member

Slaton is in a good position because we aren't going to be asking him to carry the ball 20+ times a game. We will try to get him the ball 10-12 times a game and hope that he breaks a long one or two. Best comparison would be Jerrious Norwood or Tatum Bell's rookie year.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the Kevin Faulk comparison is a good one too.

He will be in on most third downs.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised Adarius Bowman from Okie State didn't get selected. That guy reminded me a lot of Anquan Boldin when I saw him light up the Big 12. Strong, quick receiver, good size and good hands. Not the fastest, but physical and good moves.

13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

VERY pissed to have my boy Q Demps going to the ******* Eagles... :mad:

Very happy to see RB Marcus Thomas go to the Chargers, where he should have a decent shot at making the roster as LT's backup...

14. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

He had off the field issues that I can't recall at the moment, like recent law trouble or something, and also I believe he wasn't really that fast. Still, I am also shocked nobody would use their pick on such a tall, promising receiver.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I firmly believe that he would have been a Texan had the Eagles not nabbed him.

16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

That might have been even worse... ;)