1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2006 World Championships Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jul 7, 2006.

1. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Games with the Chinese team will almost certainly be shown on Chinese P2P networks. I'm guessing they'll probably have quite a few Dream Team games as well.

2. dream2franchise

No Kirk Hinrich? I think he'd be a great back up behind Chris Paul. Has he chosen not to play?

3. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

no, he's just being left out for now. he should definitely be chris paul's backup. i'd take hinrich over ridnour any day

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

All i hope is the Aussies give it a good crack and dont embarass themselves. Top 5 finish I would settle for.

oh and one other thing I wanna see is for the amount of posts on this thread to blow to pieces the amount of posts on the soccer world cup (which is inexplicably over 3000).

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Highly unlikely. For one the WC is the biggest thing on the planet. Secondly the basketball championships are in Japan!!! It's going to kill the TV exposure here in the States.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No shot in hell in having that happen. WCS is MUCH > than WCB

Although, I added to your hopes....

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

But that thinking is exactly what led to our teams collapsing on themselves. Non-shooting scorers unable to execute anything other than iso-ball, with point guards that are inept when they aren't just looking to jack up their own shot. I'd focus on versatile guys that can be greater than the sum of the roster:

LeBron is #1 - since he can facilitate the offense in a Pippen/Magic role when asked to do so.
    Kobe is your primary scorer, despite the Wade hype. Wade is completely unreliable when the lanes are clogged, and it should be crystal by now that the tunnel-vision-slash approach doesn't work in international games.
    Billups is your PG, but he's not available this summer. Hinrich should be #2, but they were dumb in the selections by nabbing Ridnour instead. Maybe they can still sneak him in. Chris Paul wins by default.
    Morrison and JJ are your obligatory college alternates.
    Since Amare is in all likelihood out because of his knees, Howard and Miller are your centers.
    Odom, Marion, and Bosh are the PFs
    Arenas and Jamison don't make a lot of sense to me. Wade and Gilbert have mirror image games, and Jamison simply isn't world class at either forward spot.
    Anthony makes it, even though he doesn't really have a good game for this style of play, simply to assuage his massive ego/complex. Paul Pierce is the exact same, but I think they leave him off after he proves in tryouts that he's still the same guy he's always been.
    Brand's a tough call. He should be there, but even Tim Duncan couldn't get the post game going last time. I would think they opt for D'Antoni ball instead.

I honestly don't know who'll win out between Joe Johnson (better handling) or Mike Redd (better shooting), but my hunch is that only one goes. I'll go with JJ just on a whim.
    Shane Battier makes it as a defender over Bowen simply because Bowen has to use a cane on the court now.

Miller - Howard (Amare out this summer)
    Odom - Marion, Bosh
    LeBron - Anthony, (Marion/Kobe)
    Kobe - Joe Johnson, Battier
    Paul - Wade (Billups out this summer)
    {alternates: JJ, Morrison, Redd}

That would be my plan.

Evan

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-usabasketball-arenas&prov=ap&type=lgns

Arenas 'willing to do anything' to make U.S. team
    July 11, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas is ready to do almost anything to make the U.S. national team -- starting with mastering the shorter 3-point shot.

"I've been working out on the international 3 -- it's like a free throw now," Arenas said Tuesday at an open workout before leaving for next week's training camp. "I'm accustomed to that line, and I know it's hard for NBA players to shoot from that line. We don't practice it. It's either shoot an NBA 3 or drive into the lane, it seems like there is no in-between, so I've been working on it and I've forgotten about the NBA line."

Arenas and 22 other invitees will train at the camp run by U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski in Las Vegas from July 19-25. Those who make the final roster will play in this year's world championship in Japan.

"I'm excited, a little nervous," said Arenas, who averaged 29.3 points last season and made the All-Star game for the second straight year. "It's just like when you see rookies come in and they are trying to make a squad. That is how I feel going out there."

Arenas lobbied to be selected for the roster in part because he doesn't mind the year-round commitment. Arenas works out through the summer anyway, rarely taking a vacation from the gym.

To reinforce his desire, he gave Krzyzewski a call last week and spoke to the coach for about a half hour.

"He said he likes my speed and that I can shoot," Arenas said. "He wants to see me play defense -- to get out there and pick them up full court -- and I am willing to do anything to make this team.

"I told him, 'You don't have to worry about me. I'm not one of the egotistic players. If you want me to dive on the floor and run into walls, I'll do it.' He can worry about someone else because he won't have to worry about me."

Even if he makes the team, Arenas realizes the competition for points and playing time will be tough on a squad that could include LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade.

"We have scorers; they don't need that from me," Arenas said. "All they need from me is to run the team, run the defense, be athletic and take open shots -- and I am willing to do that."

I liked him as a backup but with that attitude he could start at next to Kobe, hope he makes.

9. dream2franchise

I think we have the talent to make a good showing. I'm wondering if Bogut and Anstey had their one-on-one showdown that Anstey wanted so badly.

10. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

Cosign. This is the type of attitude that we need going into the World Championships. IMO, I think we're going to see a higher level of play overall, because with the team holding selections, the competitive spirit will be strong. Most of the guys they selected either haven't had to worry about getting cut in some time, or train/play like they are going to get cut at any time, despite anchoring their teams (see Arenas, Bryant). If Coach K doesn't bury talent on the bench, we should be fine in Japan.

11. italian rocket

Seems like Bargnani is in doubt to play at World Championship. He has stated he is tired and will decide at the end of Vegas Summer League.
    I'm not really optimistic about the sort of Italy, passing the first round would be already a success to me.
    Hope to see USA Team get back to win.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but it isn't. the 3 biggest reasons we lost are

1) the game is different - carlos arroyo and 11 puerto rican scrubs beat tim duncan, allen iverson, and 10 nba stars. in fact, they blew them out. but in the nba, carlos arroyo spends most of his time picking bench splinters out of his ass and the other 11 guys can't sniff an nba roster. that's just how it is.

2) we had our C team in the olympics - we had our B team in the qualifying tournament of the americas (we had tmac, ray allen, and bibby) and rolled through that, going 10-0. in the final, we beat gold-medal winning argentina by 30...in the first half. that team still didn't have shaq, kobe, or kg. if we had all 6 of those other guys in the olympics, we roll everyone.

3) we brought all the same type of players to the game - this is what you seem to be addressing and i agree, you can't just bring 12 slashers who can't shoot and hope it works because it won't.

points 1 and 3 would pretty much be moot if point 2 weren't around. our best are still the world's best.

but they seem to be addressing point 3 this year. they are trying to get shooters and versatile guys, but we can't just bring all the international, versatile types, we still have to play to our strengths. wade is easily one of our best players, and we need our best players there. we need guys who aren't afraid of the big shots, who wanna step up, who know how to get a shot when things are rough. wade isn't as bad a shooter as people make him out to be. we also need to take advantage of our overwhelming athletic advantages. again, we had C level athletes last time, wade/kobe/lebron are A level (so is tmac but he isn't an option, unfortunately). having them playing pressure D, driving past people, getting out on the break and knowing how to finish, being able to elevate over anyone for a jumper, we need that and didn't really have it last time. as long as it comes in packages as talented as kobe, wade, and lebron, being as athletic as possible should be our goal. if it's richard jefferson, maybe not. we need to control the boards, get cheap points, and play good D and wade does that. we need the best of the best because they still dominate games even in international ball and we can't not have wade. having 3 guys on the perimeter like kobe, wade, and lebron just physically dominating, all being able to shoot for the most part, and wade and lebron great at passing will be huge. plus with all 3 you can always have at least 2 on the court at all times. put all the shooters and versatile big men you can around them and i think you've got a gold medal.

#32 francis 4 prez, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

on what basis does Soccer > Basketball.

are you aware this is a basketball website?

the majority of people that are on here should be far more interested in the WCB than the world diving championships!

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

15. JumpMan

16. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

just as a heads up, the usa doesnt need to worry about serbia this year. the team is terrible. i dont think they have one nba player on their team. its all young guys and everyone good on the time jsut argued with each other. couple that with a horrible soccer showing, and serbian athletics is in shambles right now.

besides that, i think this is the first time i'm going to be ROOTING for kobe. weird. i hate that guy but now he's on my team. strange feeling.

17. dream2franchise

18. JumpMan

Odom and Pierce can't go (rumor that Redd probably can't go either), that sucks bad, does anyone know if the US has to win a medal to qualify for the Olympics? Or does the bronze in 2004 automatically qualify them for the 2008 Olympics?

New Team:

F - James/Battier/Morrison
    F - Brand/Jamison
    C - Bosh/Howard
    G - Bryant/Arenas
    G - Paul/Hinrich/Ridnour

EDIT: First place at the WCs gets a bid. If the US doesn't win that they need to get either 1st or 2nd in the Americas Zone or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at the FIBA Olympic Qualitfying Tournament.

#38 JumpMan, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  19. richter911

richter911 Member

[​IMG]

FIBA World Championship schedule

Event takes place in Japan
    All times are Eastern

Saturday, Aug. 19
    (Friday) 11 p.m.: Venezuela vs. Lebanon
    (Friday) 11 p.m.: Germany vs. Japan
    (Friday) 11 p.m.: Puerto Rico vs. USA
    (Friday) 11 p.m.: Brazil vs. Australia
    2 a.m.: Serbia & Montenegro vs. Nigeria
    2 a.m.: Angola vs. Panama
    2:30 a.m.: Greece vs. Qatar
    2:30 a.m.: Slovenia vs. Senegal
    5 a.m.: Argentina vs. France
    5 a.m.: Spain vs. New Zealand
    5:30 a.m.: Turkey vs. Lithuania
    5:30 a.m.: China vs. Italy

Sunday, Aug. 20
    (Saturday) 11 p.m.: Nigeria vs. Venezuela
    (Saturday) 11 p.m.: Japan vs. Angola
    (Saturday) 11:30 p.m.: Qatar vs. Brazil
    (Saturday) 11:30 p.m.: Senegal vs. Puerto Rico
    2 a.m.: Lebanon vs. Argentina
    2 a.m.: New Zealand vs. Germany
    2:30 a.m.: Australia vs. Turkey
    2:30 a.m.: Italy vs. Slovenia
    5 a.m.: France vs. Serbia & Montenegro
    5 a.m.: Panama vs. Spain
    5:30 a.m.: Lithuania vs. Greece
    5:30 a.m.: USA vs. China

Monday, Aug. 21
    (Sunday) 11 p.m.: Argentina vs. Venezuela
    (Sunday) 11 p.m.: Angola vs. New Zealand
    2 a.m.: Serbia & Montenegro vs. Lebanon
    2 a.m.: Germany vs. Spain
    5 a.m.: France vs. Nigeria
    5 a.m.: Japan vs. Panama

Tuesday, Aug. 22
    (Monday) 11:30 p.m.: Lithuania vs. Qatar
    (Monday) 11:30 p.m.: China vs. Puerto Rico
    12:30 a.m.: Greece vs. Australia
    2:30 a.m.: Italy vs. Senegal
    5:30 a.m.: Turkey vs. Brazil
    5:30 a.m.: USA vs. Slovenia

Wednesday, Aug. 23
    (Tuesday) 11 p.m.: Nigeria vs. Argentina
    (Tuesday) 11 p.m.: Spain vs. Angola
    (Tuesday) 11:30 p.m.: Australia vs. Lithuania
    (Tuesday) 11:30 p.m.: Senegal vs. China
    2 a.m.: Venezuela vs. Serbia & Montenegro
    2 a.m.: Panama vs. Germany
    2:30 a.m.: Qatar vs. Turkey
    2:30 a.m.: Puerto Rico vs. Slovenia
    5 a.m.: Lebanon vs. France
    5 a.m.: New Zealand vs. Japan
    5:30 a.m.: Brazil vs. Greece
    5:30 a.m.: USA vs. Italy

Thursday, Aug. 24
    (Wednesday) 11 p.m.: Serbia & Montenegro vs. Argentina
    (Wednesday) 11 p.m.: Angola vs. Germany
    (Wednesday) 11:30 p.m.: Australia vs. Qatar
    (Wednesday) 11:30 p.m.: Slovenia vs. China
    2 a.m.: Lebanon vs. Nigeria
    2 a.m.: New Zealand vs. Panama
    2:30 a.m.: Lithuania vs. Brazil
    2:30 a.m.: Italy vs. Puerto Rico
    5 a.m.: France vs. Venezuela
    5 a.m.: Japan vs. Spain
    5:30 a.m.: Greece vs. Turkey
    5:30 a.m.: USA vs. Senegal

Second round
    Saturday, Aug. 26
    Game 61: A1 - B4
    Game 62: C2 - D3
    Game 63: C1 - D4
    Game 64: A2 - B3

Sunday, Aug. 27
    Game 65: B1 - A4
    Game 66: D2 - C3
    Game 67: D1 - C4
    Game 68: B2 - A3

Quarterfinals
    Tuesday, Aug. 29
    Game 69: Winner Game 61 - Winner Game 62
    Game 70: Winner Game 63 - Winner Game 64

Wednesday, Aug. 30
    Game 71: Winner Game 65 - Winner Game 66
    Game 72: Winner Game 67 - Winner Game 68

Loser bracket semifinals
    Thursday, Aug. 31
    Game 73: Loser Game 69 - Loser Game 70
    Game 74: Loser Game 71 - Loser Game 72

Medal Round Semifinals
    Friday, Sept. 1
    Game 75: Winner Game 69 - Winner Game 70, 2:30 a.m.
    Game 76: Winner Game 71 - Winner Game 72, 5:30 a.m.

Finals
    Saturday, Sept. 2
    2:30 a.m.: 5th/6th Place Game: Winner Game 73 - Winner Game 74
    5:30 a.m.: Bronze Medal Game: Loser Game 75 - Loser Game 76

Sunday, Sept. 3
    2:30 a.m.: 7th/8th Place Game: Loser Game 73 - Loser Game 74
    5:30 a.m.: Gold Medal Game: Winner Game 75 - Winner Game 76

20. richter911

richter911 Member

Kobe won't play for USA after knee surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2520373

Kobe Bryant reportedly had surgery and won't play for Team USA this summer.

Bryant had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Friday and will need eight to 12 weeks to recover, The Riverside Press-Enterprise reported Saturday.

While Bryant will not participate in the team's training camp next week, he will get the chance to compete for the Olympic team, a USA Basketball spokesperson told the paper.

The sugery was a "minor treatment" of cartilage and to remove scar tissue. The Lakers begin training camp Oct. 2.

"We trust that Kobe will have a total and speedy recover, and we are pleased that he expressed a willingness to remain as involved with our team as possible through this process," Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Senior National Team managing director, said in a statement issued by USA Basketball to The Press-Enterprise. "Kobe being with the team will add to our team chemistry, and his presence will help provide valuable off-court leadership."

USA Basketball announced Thursday that Bryant's L.A. teammate Lamar Odom and Paul Pierce would miss training camp later this month. Another player, J.J. Redick, had recently said he wouldn't take part when camp opens Wednesday in Las Vegas because he has been out with a back injury.

After training camp, the roster will be whittled from 24 to 15 players, then trimmed to 12 for the World Championships, which begin Aug. 19 in Japan.

The U.S. is in Group D with 2004 Olympic silver medalist Italy, Puerto Rico, Slovenia, China and Senegal.

The winner of the 24-nation World Championships receives an automatic berth to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. If Team USA does not win, it must qualify through the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas.