1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offical 2005 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 6, 2005.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Also, I just want to say that Baseball America's final mock draft (posted this morning) correctly predicted the first 18 picks. Impressive.

2. Buck Turgidson

29 other teams are passing on him too. Someone will draft him, and he'll hold out. Teams held the line with Drew & Weaver, they basically sat out the season & gained nothing.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Very cool how MLB.com is streaming the draft in video form for free.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm at school and can't watch. Bell rings in 4 minutes, but then I'm headed to my girlfriend's. I may make her let me check in and see what happened every hour or two.:eek:

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Next pick: Thomas Manzella SS Tulane

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Next pick: Joshua Lindblom high school RHP

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I didn't know that Teagarden was a Boras guy. That makes me slightly less pissed that they took a HS catcher over him.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I was hoping they'd draft Ryan Mullins out of Vandy with that 3rd round pick... he went with the very next pick..

A lefty that was a first round prospect before this year... didnt have a great year...and slid quite a bit from where he was projected..

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is it wrong that discovering that Teagarden's agent is Boras almost has me rooting for Ole Miss this weekend?

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1079636&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

06/07/2005 3:05 PM ET
    Astros happy to land Bogusevic
    Two-way talent to focus on pitching in pros
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros picked left-handed pitcher Brian Bogusevic from Tulane University as their first pick (No. 24 overall) of the 2005 First Year Player Draft on Tuesday.
    Bogusevic is also an outfielder, but he has informed the Astros that he wants to concentrate solely on pitching when he joins the professional ranks.

"He's going to challenge Brandon Backe as to who's the better hitter on this club eventually," said scouting director Paul Ricciarini. "He's very talented as a legit two-way player, but Brian has taken the decsion upon himself to want to go out as a pitcher.

"He's a big, strong durable left-handed starter that can give us innings. He's very competitive, has winner-type makeup. We're just really excited at this point."

Bogusevic is expected to start Tulane's first game of the Super Regional round in the NCAA Tournament and coincidentally will face Houston's Rice University. The winner of this round advances to the College World Series.

General manager Tim Purpura said obtaining a player from one of the top college programs in the country is "huge," in terms of having a firm grasp of what it takes to play baseball at the highest level.

"Look at (Morgan) Ensberg and (Jason) Lane coming from USC and (Eric) Bruntlett coming from Stanford," Purpura said. "You know they've been taught the game the right way. Those are programs that don't just win, but they play good baseball, too. It's a real fit for us."

Along those lines, there is usually an advantage to drafting college players over high school players.

"Certainly with high school players, as far as the amount of teaching and instruction they get, the volume is nowhere near what you get in the college program," Purpura said. "A good college program like Tulane, they know how to teach the game and they know how to win. It's a real positive."

Bogusevic has three pitches: fastball, slider and changeup, and he'll throw an offspeed curveball at times. Ricciarini described Bogusevic as having a great imagination, a good feel for pitching and a terrific competitive nature.

Ricciarini said the scouting staff's expectations of Bogusevic being available when it was the Astros' turn to pick were no better than 50-50, and there was considerable elation when the first 23 clubs passed on him.

"Without raising expectations, we're excited to have this kid," Ricciarini said.

Bogusevic was 13-1 with a 2.72 ERA over 17 starts during the 2005 regular season for Tulane. He allowed 36 earned runs over 119 1/3 innings, walking 38 and striking out 119. Opponents batted .239 against the left-hander.

As a hitter, Bogusevic batted .324 (36-for-111) with no homers and 21 RBIs over 36 games.

The left-hander is one of seven draft eligible semifinalists for the Roger Clemens Award, honoring the top pitcher in college baseball. The winner will be announced on July 14 during a banquet at the Marriott Westchase in Houston.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't hate Boras for doing his job...well...even if he is "unprofessional".

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If he's unethical in his business dealings, I sure as hell will hate him.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

4th round Joshua Flores 6FT 195 R/R OF 11/18/1995

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

5th Round 164 Wilson Hart 6'2' 215 R/R 3B USC 11/2/82

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, you got the right DOB?

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

LOL. 1985