1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Class Name

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Sep 6, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you fkking grease monkey

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

What if they had picked a racial slur that is also a legitimate word, like slope or eggplant? Would ignorance of the racial slur usage still be an insufficient excuse?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Now I get it, and I'm reporting you for using a word that ends in those three letters.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Those kids and I have never heard of the word. That's a great thing because of what that means. But of course we had to resurrect it and now all of the kids know what it means and we're back to square one. Humans are stupid.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How do you know that all the kids have never heard the word? Perhaps some 6th grade smart aleck thought it would be funny.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Those gluten-free whiners were able to hush down the name Team Cracker.

+1 for Freedom

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jigaboo is a pretty common word with black comedians, and as a big fan of comedy/standup I'm familiar with the word. My friends and I use it here or there jokingly with eachother.

I can totally see why a white lady who doesn't make or hear jokes about black people wouldn't know what the word was.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

um no..its not

I can count on both hands the amount of racial slurs I've heard uttered in the last 20 years..maybe 2 regarding African Americans, and 1 regarding Asians (another really old one said by a retired person that probably didn't know it was a slur..oh and he is actually from Minnesota), an a couple referring to Mexicans.

Of course, being from Houston, one of the most diverse cities in the country, people generally get a long a lot better and tend to be less divisive. I find people in the northeast openly use slurs more than Texans.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

eggplant? Can honestly say I've never heard that one.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I would've seen "Jig" as a dance. "do a little jig" - I guess because people don't think in terms of racial slurs with every thing they see.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you didn't know what that word was before, well now you do.

So don't use it.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Ignorance is not a defense.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Boogie is also used in a dual term for dancing and the other topic..

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if the teacher has a track-record of making inappropriate comments than i would be less willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds like it truly was an innocent mistake. i think the teacher owes an apology and explanation...nothing more.

like someone said, its easy to see how someone in their 20's might not have ever heard that word and its not like the name was her idea.

15. Invisible Fan

They just need to rejigger the title.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I could never count the number of racial slurs I heard in Houston. Against all races. I couldn't even count the number of times I was called a "sand n-word" or a "towel-head". Houston is not some bastion free from racism.

17. Invisible Fan

No town is racist slur free. Banning words will not prevent people from coming up with new words.

That said, I'm in the camp that historically charged words should be left buried rather than the idea that it should be kept open in order to remove it's power.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I would agree with that. But Texas is not the "King of Racial Slurs" either - which is what I was responding too. I still think densely populated areas in NJ/NY/PA and even MA will often exhibit more open used racial slurs than the more densely populated areas of Texas.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Me either....