1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival in town starring Dave Chappelle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ILoveWhiteGirls

Never been to the Moontower festival in Austin, I can imagine all the hot shot comedians perform there maybe which is why Chapelle's act seems like Child's Play compared to them. Also speaking of Demetri's set last night, which Houston mall was he talking about?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Galleria. I didn't get the empty part.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He mentioned the mall being downtown and like four stories high with no one there. That definitely sounds like the Houston Pavilions but I was under the impression it was being renovated to become GreenStreet?

4. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

This. Saw him walking around outside House of Blues. Dave Chapelle was with him along with a couple more people. No one seemed to recognize them.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So I heard it was pretty much a letdown.

The Woodlands is the worst venue all them all.

6. ILoveWhiteGirls

The Pavillion sucks.

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It was funny but Chappelle's set was way too short. Bun-B making an appearance was the best part.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thought he was talking about The Shops at Houston Center. It is four stories and completely empty outside of lunch hours on weekdays.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more if Concords went first on the main stage, and only had a 30 min set.

Hannibal, Demitri, and chappelle were awesome.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The Pavilion doesn't suck when it is nice out. Unfortunately, more than half the time it is open it is ridiculously hot out which makes it unbearable to me. We almost never go because of this.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unless you live near the Woodlands it's awful getting there especially on a weekday. Depeche Mode is going there on a Tuesday. No thanks. I'd have to leave right after work and still fight traffic to get there and then drive back? What a joke. The crowds are always drunken buffoons and when it rains it's even worse. I won't go there for a festival ever since Identity a few years ago.

I hope Sugar Land builds something like it soon.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

I was pretty comfortable. Is everyone that was complaining about the heat sitting in the lawn? It was a great show.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, I was gonna go after seeing the amazing set list but I'm NOT going to that **** hole ever again. It's too damn hot, mosquito's, it's way too far out and I hate traffic and the bathrooms are like a half mile away from the seats. I'll only go to shows at TC, House of Blues or anywhere inside. I'll haven't been to the Pavilion since 2006 and will not ever go again. I still have no idea why these bands play there and almost faint from the humidity when they could play in the air conditioned Toyota Center.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

It's about the size of crowd they expect. For example, Arcade Fire played Woodlands about a year or two ago. They certainly couldn't sell out Toyota Center. So it was appropriate for them to play Woodlands.

Depeche Mode could possibly sell 70% of Toyota Center, but it looks bad for the band if there are vast sections of empty seats at a venue. (I think they played Toyota Center in 2006 with The Bravery opening)

Places like Verizon and House of Blues would be too small of a venue for these bands as well. So it mainly depends on how big of a crowd one can anticipate in a certain city.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What is the total capacity for the Pavilion? I was at that DM concert in 2005 or 2006 after the release of the Playing the Angel and I remember the stage being moved farther towards mid court with the black curtain in the back. That was the first time I'd ever seen them do this.

I could totally tell how their crowds had fallen off since their sell outs and back to back night shows in the 90's and early 2000's. I get it though, makes much more sense.

16. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Woodlands Pavillion and Toyota Center hold roughly the same amount of people. The reason certain acts go there is simply a business decision based on the cut they get from the venue, or the exclusive rights that a venue might have to an artist because of a deal with the promotion/production company.

There's a huge dropoff between venue capacities. You've got Reliant at 70K. Woodlands/TC at 20K. Then places like Bayou City Music Centre, House of Blues, and Warehouse Live that hold 1.5-2K. I wish they would hold concerts at Hofheinz pavilion again, at 8K, it bridges the gap between large arenas and smaller clubs nicely. Maybe they will once the renovations are complete.

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

Having the seats in the front and the lawn in the back is just about the most ridiculous thing I've seen at any venue. Any concert or festival held outdoors should be all Lawn or if they wanted to have The seats in the back where people can't see anything, while making the lawn section really up close to the stage. Or have the whole damn thing position as an inclined hill/ all lawn. Nobody wants to drive out that far to the woodlands, start making some changes like for real.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What about the dynamo stadium? Can that be set up for concerts? I always thought that was going to be a woodlands replacement someday.