1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oculus Quest 2 is amazing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Dec 29, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think there’s an old all encompassing VR thread but I think the Quest 2 hardware is relatively new so thought might as well get a fresh thread for it.

this thing is amazing

I had never done Vr before but got one for Xmas for the kids.

sure the content is a work in progress.

but just the experience. There’s no other way to describe it then amazing.

it’s so three dimensional it’s insane.

I can definitely envision a future where when we’re watching shows on Netflix it’s on one of these things or the like. The step up in the experience would be fantastic.

then the price... it’s not bad at all. Cheaper than new gaming consoles.

ima_drummer2k and Yung-T like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i heard from @Yung-T that oculus suxs and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. he also said star wars was overrated.

arkoe likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

I considered it, then got discouraged when I realized I almost never played my Xbox till this year. I feel like I'm just going to get it and never use it. Doesn't it need a really powerful pc or something?

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

Facebook can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick. You couldn't pay me to own one.

5. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Bought one for my son for Xmas, waiting for his phone to arrive this week and will create him a FB account and download the app for him. Wife didn’t want to share her FB account and I don’t have one anymore. A few kids at his club use it for pitching and hitting training. Seems like a lot to do on it.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The O in OLED is Oculus.

No bueno.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Facebook VR... Pass

VanityHalfBlack and Jontro like this.
  8. JayZ750

I wasn’t in love with the Fb aspect. There was an option to create an oculus account. But as oculus is fb it shares.

I don’t use fb anymore but do have an account so linked it.

as far as usage. I suspect the games will be nice but limited relative to consoles.

but as with all consules now it’s a whole tho g where you can download apps. So there’s a YouTube VR, a browser, etc.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

FB shady. I'd create a junk FB account just for the occulus.

10. JayZ750

it’d be worth it. It’s seriously cool technology. Like really cool.

for example once you draw your boundary if you walk out of it it turns the VR off somewhat and instead shows you just a camera view of what’s around you. The color isn’t great - it’s more black/grey but it’s just a camera facing out so it’s showing you as if you weren’t wearing the vr. But at the same time it has some screens up to scroll through apps or whatever. So basically insanely amazing augmented reality. It’s legit like sci-fi show come to life where you can maybe say ok... maybe in the future VR/AR will legit be ubiquitous (eventually with contacts or just a chip in your brain lol) and people will just be walking around as screens pop up, calls come in, they search the internet, trade stocks, whatever.

sorry lol... does that make any sense?!?

Deckard and Jontro like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

post too advanced for me. so basically 3d pr0nz?

Yung-T likes this.
  12. JayZ750

I’m probably more geeked about this thab I should be. But this thing is really impressive.

I just watched a show about the space station and you legit feel like your in the space station (minus the floating part), with other astronauts there floating around and talking to you.

I played a golf game and at one point briefly thought I was going to “fall” off a cliff.

it’s incredibly immersive.

13. JayZ750

the p*rn on this will be so insanely amazingly awesome. Not sure there is p*rn on it yet.

Jontro likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Facebook trying to steal my intellectual data from my brain through my eyes now...? Jokes on them. I have none.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My son saved his money up and bought one. So far it’s really cool, and you can use it with a PC for Steam games as well which really increases it’s utility.

I have several dummy FB accounts so we just used one of them to get going.

16. Invisible Fan

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's a f***ton of VR pron and basically all the big studios do it, just make sure you don't stream a free video and think it's indicative of the video quality.

Your best bet would be to torrent or download some 5k+ resolution videos and try, Quest 2 plays videos of up to 8k resolution.

Some sites also have 3-4 free downloadable full-size videos.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

@heypartner ban this man.

CCity Zero, Deckard, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm with you, man. This was the "big" gift for my kids. They wanted it so they could play Beat Sabers(sp?).

I tried it for the first time this morning and it's awesome. Not crazy about having to create a FB account, but we just created a couple of dummy ones and posted a picture of my dog. Also not crazy about having to buy song packs, but whateves.

Full disclosure - I am NOT a professional gamer and I don't keep up with all of this stuff as much as some of you nerds....er, guys. To me, playing GTA on my PS3 is still pretty awesome. So yeah, my standards aren't that high....but this game is amazing.

Yung-T and Deckard like this.
  20. JayZ750

Yeah, beat saber is solid.

but its not even the games. heck, the background (the lounge you start in) is amazing - you can change that by the way, they have like 10 different options. check out the non game apps, they're incredible, too.

Yung-T likes this.