1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FIFY

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://forward.com/schmooze/426220...amp-debate-has-jews-divided-18-jews-weigh-in/

There definitely is a disagreement in the Jewish community. One side believes the term is owned by them and the other believes that the "never forget" line is very applicable to today's context where Death camps that murdered millions didn't occur overnight and those survivors see similar rhetoric and build up today that led to the Holocaust.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You're basically a nazi... how dare you tell Jewish people how they should feel about the Holocaust. You know damn well what concentration camp means in the current year. THE CURRENT YEAR Sweet lou. You know a detention facility for law breakers is more akin to a prison, not a concentration camp where people are selected for their group identity and then persecuted. Read a history book. Seriously, you disgust me. After all the talk about being woke from you and not racist, and you go post this filth about Jewish people not having the right to a differing opinion from your political hive mind.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Lighten up. If you post things you pull out of your ass, I'll give you cow farts in this thread.

[​IMG]

5. HTM

HTM Member

Yea your attempt to frame this as "Only hardcore righties are offended" is pathetic. Many Democrats have blasted AOC for this.

Bill De Blasio blasted AOC for this.

Chuck Todd blasted AOC for this.

John Kennedy blasted AOC for this.

Yad Vashem has blasted AOC for this.

but you're still behind her.

So since this survivor has right wing politics he cannot comment and his opinion in invalidated? Wow. The man literally survived the Holocaust. He can have an opinion about AOC's invocation of the term concentration camp.

I've only watched the one video. I haven't conducted my scientific polling to find out what every single Holocaust survivor thinks yet. I'll get right on that.

jcf, dachuda86 and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Ya his opinion is invalided when he wants to erode my family's civil rights. Why should I care for his opinion?

And I posted an article after showing a divide in the Jewish community over her statements. From reading multiple arguments, it seems like the survivors who support AOC and believe that there is similar build up and rhetoric that lead the the Nazi regime have a far more nuanced argument than the ones who feel outraged. Some survivors are pegging her as anti-semitic Do you believe AOC to be anti-semitic?

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yeap. Here is the first definition that pop-up from googling the word "concentration camp":

"a place where large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities, sometimes to provide forced labor or to await mass execution. The term is most strongly associated with the several hundred camps established by the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe in 1933–45, among the most infamous being Dachau, Belsen, and Auschwitz."

Even if it's not as common, people will always have their own association of words to some meaning and probably also to some intention. But it doesn't mean it's accurate. I mean, I just read some tweets from a person that did his doctoral on "concentration camp" and he agreed to AOC usage of it. The problem is it could be right academically, but it's still wrong to people due to association on a massive scale. I don't follow AOC enough to know her actual intention, if she's using it correct academically or if she is purposely using it to illustrate the coming of the next Nazi, or something in between. But none of that probably matter much now, as it has it's own life being sustained by the public reactions. (Something that also often happen with Trump's controversial usage of certain words). There is lot of energy focusing on the word usage and the person starting it, but less on actually what's going on and where it could lead to... I know that's uncomfortable for some people and some people do not like to hear about history or comparison to it while others would like to just ignore it and some just reject it outright as not being of any concern. I view the situation as already very troublesome and potentially dangerous but I admit I don't have a full picture of what's the going on. Part of the problem is this admin is blocking that view. Shouldn't we, the public, at least have an accurate picture of what's going on in these places to have a more informed opinion? I hope we can at least squarely look at and monitor to be sure this isn't leading to something horrible. That's so much more important then getting hang up on the word and it's association.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sounds like trauma victims and they may just see that everywhere and be paranoid. Bro, give it up. You're full of it. Sane people aren't going to stand for this irresponsible comparison. Your weirdo group of fake leftists' time is up. People see through the schtick.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

article at Slate yesterday makes much the same point:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/aoc-liz-cheney-concentration-camp-debate-words.html

Amiga likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I actually tried to refrain from calling the holocaust survivors who are outraged at her diction as paranoid because I found that insulting to what they wen't through. But you just went along and did it.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You're playing a false victim narrative after you basically insult the entire Jewish population's tribulations and experience and what it means to them. How dare you. Not working you depressed weirdo. Sane people are here and we are sick of watching you weirdos spin these false narratives. You have not an actual care for groups and instead you use them to push far left weirdo politics.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

FIFY

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

FIFY

14. HTM

HTM Member

AOC, hopefully, understands baggage and associations associated with the term "concentration camp" - she decided to use it anyway. She understood the irrevocable link between the term "concentration camp" and the Holocaust. The idea of the "mild or not so bad" concentration camp is nonsense. Every concentration camp you can think of, other than Japanese internment camps, has involved widespread disease, malnutrition, forced labor (at least in the Holocaust) and widespread death. Cuba, the Boers, Armenians, the Holocaust.. etc.. etc. To invoke the term "concentration camp" is to draw an association with those awful events and sufferings. She decided to do that on purpose. She could have described the situation another way. Now she has made a real sh*t show for herself and the Dems.

jcf likes this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

i agree with sentiment she obviously used the phrase concentration camp because it would create a stir, I think it was wrong.

But let's not act like throwing out loaded words is a new thing in this current political climate the president does it constantly.

i don't understand why this is the thing that causes so much outrage.

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Technically it is a concentration camp - and if the use of this word create so much consternation on the right but Trump grabbing women by the p***y doesn't then I think conservatives are the ones with the issue

Maybe the right should be less PC

17. biff17

biff17 Member

The fact that you have to say technically shows that it is a loaded word and has a prescribed meaning.

But yeah I get what you are saying about this PC outrage all of the sudden.

#1837 biff17, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  18. WNBA

WNBA Member

You need to include death toll when you define it as a concentration camp.....

5 children death (out of several thousand?) in 6 month........

concentration camp is the right name for it.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The right does this far more egregiously calling democrats all sorts of names that are in fact incredibly deceptive. While I agree concentration camp is probably being done for effect more than anything, it still fits with the broader definition and there are many - including Jews - who agree with her usage of the word.

biff17 likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Intentional deaths from the actual system set up... it is a detention facility. There is no system set up for executing prisoners.