1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Obama: paid huge money by Wall St just like Hillary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Apr 28, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes, he has that plain folks game. That comes with being a politician. Mitt Romney of all people had to connect with the little people to humanize his candidacy. Obama's schtick was not that he was some blue collar joe going to the big leagues though. He was always the Harvard educated lawyer; he just had empathy for the little guy. Trump's got the same schtick. He may be a billionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he understands that small town Ohio wants jobs.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What? I have been here almost 20 years. I was one of those that would be deemed as 'alt right'. Over the years, I have drifted from the Republican party. This does not mean I have drifted into the Democrat party. Both parties have politicians who have real convictions, regardless if one agrees with them. But for the most part, politicians sell their souls to their party and the parties only care about being in power...regardless of their ethics or cost. People being blind followers to their party is why we had a Hillary and a Trump election.

But yes, I had hoped the Republican party would have done something about healthcare. The Republicans were too divided before to win an election.(Only a shitty choice like Hillary is what gave them the election) and now they are obviously too divided to accomplish anything while they have a majority. Its hard to criticize the Republicans policies because they have none.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean... Obama experienced the middle class life. He was raised in it. He got where he is(Constitutional law professor, senator and president) through his own merit which speaks volumes in my eyes at least. I think Obama is significantly more genuine in his empathy for the lower and middle class.

I mean do people seriously think he played the long con game of being a community organizer to eventually president? I think it would have been far more profitable and sure bet for him if he used his Harvard Law degree to work for a corporate law firm and become a corporate lawyer.

4. JuanValdez

You're right. The stuff about his background -- raised by a single mom, middle class living, community organizing, etc -- is very commonplace American experience. I'm not saying he's never seen how regular people live their lives, like Trump and Romney before him probably actually haven't. But, people seem to want to extrapolate a lot of things about Obama, like how he is supposed to see Wall St as an enemy of the people for one, that I just don't see.

5. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. He ran on a more left leaning populist platform but he was more center left in practice.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

absolutely shameful. at this rate obama will never be voted president of the us and a ever again.

Zergling and RudyTBag like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In other News, President Obama appointed his daughter as his top advisor, and her husband as another one. His other daughter will be charged with running his business. If you have a problem, take it up with bigtexxx

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I have been told time and again on this BBS that Obama is most liberal left leaning president in history.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I really don't believe the long con game wrt to the community organizer thing. Maybe it just caused him to believe only catering to the very elite who he had always gone to school with since middle school at the elite Hawaiian prep school, was the way for change.

It is just sometimes you wonder why he was so timid while in office and appointed all the same old Wall Street gang, and warmongers to his cabinet. It could just be that he was inexperienced in Washington or he took the path of least resistance and largely appointed all the Clinton gang for domestic and the Bush gang for war.

At best he was an exceedingly cautious mild mannered moderate who to win was marketed as a strong voice for major change using his skin color and unusual name and some traditional Democratic rhetoric.

10. JuanValdez

But pretty much every time someone said it, someone else (like me) objected that he actually sounds very centrist. Now here he is being centrist again, and his detractors say "what a hypocritical thing to do for the most liberal left-leaning president in history!"

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

True. Obama never even implied that Wall Street was an enemy. He just wanted to increase regulation and have more fail safes in place which his administration and congress did somewhat accomplish. It's just we didn't see wall street executives being literally handcuffed and prosecuted as individuals for their part in the recession which a large portion of the public wanted.

I just think you are overstating his desire for corporate greed. I mean if he actually drew that conclusion from grade school and beyond, wouldn't he have went a significantly more profitable route with his law degree from Harvard to work for those kids he went to school with instead of being a community organizer and civil rights attorney?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Texx is a racist - not surprised this is his thread.

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe people need to stop jumping to conclusions.

That is 4 TIMES his speaking fee FYI.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. JuanValdez

He might have to put in a full work week on speaking tours to drum up the money for Chicago youth.

Just being snarky. I think it's great. And, I'm really excited that Obama is building his center in my old neighborhood. The blocks on the north end of that park are pretty nice, but once you cross south of the Midway it's a bit rougher, especially away from the lake. It'll be transformative.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. Yeah my wife is from Chi so its a place that's like Houston 2.0 to me and I know how much help it needs. If Obama is taking money from wall street in order to do things like this for Chicago and elsewhere than I think its a great idea.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well take a guy a corporate Dem guy like Corey Booker, I think it is relatively clear that he lived in a housing project for a year to build his political resume. Similarly it has long been a political resume builder to go into the military for a year or two. It is about the only time you see some of the real elite going into the "voluntary" military.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama never struck me as a greedy guy like Trump. He doesn't run fake nonprofits as tax shelters. But I can understand why the right wants to attack him - it's a good distraction. I don't get why Sanders went after him though without context.

Sanders whole premise is to tax the rich so the rest of America can have a better chance at opportunity. Obama taking money from the rich to donate to causes then is somehow bad? This is why Barry was a great candidate but would not have made a great president.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The republicans just seem petty... and some times you wonder if there is a deeper reason...

Of couse, republicans introduce this bill when Obama was President... no such law existed to target past presidents.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/04/obama-speeches-revive-gop-bid-to-target-his-pension.html

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I just read a great piece in Current Affairs that I would say addresses this issue better than any I've read, though the people who most need to read it probably won't.

London'sBurning likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang