1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT: Trump Says He Will Sign Free Speech Order for College Campuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Mar 3, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Apparently Trump says colleges will allow free speech or their federal funding will be cut off. Long overdue, IMO

OXON HILL, Md. — President Trump said on Saturday that he planned to issue an executive order that would help guarantee free speech at colleges and universities by putting their federal aid at risk if they do not protect the viewpoints of students of all political stripes.

The president made the announcement during a rambling two-hour speech to activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference outside Washington, but he did not provide any details about the possible executive order. Several White House officials did not respond to emails or telephone calls seeking additional information.

The White House did not respond to questions about when the president might sign the order.

The issue of free speech on college campuses has for years been a cause célèbre among young conservative activists, who point to instances around the country in which conservative voices have been shunned by liberal students and professors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/us/politics/trump-free-speech-colleges.html

2. dmoneybangbang

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Something I finally agree with that he is doing. Bravo. Bravo to everyone.

cml750 and BruceAndre like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Yep. College Campuses and the public commons (does that even exist anymore) should be a total free flow of ideas. If someone wants to set up a MAGA table and hand out cookies and pamphlets, they should absolutely be able to do that.

MiddleMan, Nook, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is horseshit. This is just cover for hate grous to target college campuses.

amaru and JuanValdez like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Not horseshit. If a student group (replace the "someone" I said earlier), say the College MAGAs or whatthe****ever, want to do something peaceful and hand out literature, have a speaker, they should be allowed to do something like that. I don't see what your problem is.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Bad ideas will lose in an open market place of ideas... why so worried?

MiddleMan, cml750, BruceAndre and 2 others like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can we have some sort.of statistical fact based analysis of how often this happens?

The anti-sjw YouTube market along with the fact that people who eat up this type of content have YouTube algorithms spamming them every nook and cranny incident probably inflates the prevalence.

I would say most of the time, it's outside groups like a genuine troll like Milo trying to just be provocative. How often do students get shut down?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does this include Satanist?
    Why does Trump support Satanist

Rocket River
    am I doing it right?

Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He only supports the orange demons at least.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump brings back the First Amendment to college campuses nationwide. What a time to be alive!

MiddleMan likes this.
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

In related news, President Trump said on MAGA day that he planned to issue an executive order that would help suppress free speech at the NFL by putting their massive tax breaks at risk if they do not suppress the viewpoints of players of non-MAGA political stripes.

pirc1 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

College campuses tend to be a bastion for political correctness, and there have been instances of people not being allowed to speak on campus for many years. I don't know what the numbers are, and to your point overall they may not be that high, but is that a reason to disagree with this position? As BruceAndre said in the OP, isn't this long overdue? It would certainly be HUGE news if it were happening in reverse, and everyone would be clamoring for action.

cml750 and Dark Rhino like this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

What you don't understand in your post is that this indicates it wasn't a bad idea. You think conservatives didn't think Obama was a bad idea? Would you agree with this same post with a pic of Obama winning? Or maybe more relevant, one of Hillary?

Dems will apparently never understand why Trump was elected. This is great news for conservatives, and for Trump.

MiddleMan, cml750 and BruceAndre like this.
  16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

This is a fair, and interesting, point. There are differences, but still worthy of discussing.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Electing a conman game show host with no grasp of reality is a bad idea, regardless of political affiliation.

Nook, Rashmon and Harrisment like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What are the differences for you?

I’m sure there are differences and I haven’t quit figure out yet for myself when and what are the rare exceptions to free speech.

But if we want to take a principal stand - free speech as not just a cultural long standing norm but a constitutional protected right, we should be against a president that chooses and pick who should and should not exercise that right, which this president has done.

19. fchowd0311

Again with platitudes. Is it a bastion of political correctness? Im currently a grad student in Massachusetts. Though it isn't in a social science or liberal arts field, I honestly experience more "anti-sjw" students than "sjw" students? Are my anecdotes any more or less relevant than your perceptions based on YouTube spam?

JayGoogle and No Worries like this.
  20. fchowd0311

I understand. I was surrounded by 98% of people who eventually are massive Trump fans. I would say 90% of them support him out of a tribal desire to "own the libtards".

Let me guess, economic anxiety is the bs you want to shove down here?