1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT publishes anti-semitic cartoon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Apr 30, 2019.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

[​IMG]

anti-semitic or no?

2. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, this is pretty awful.

Especially given the history of cartoons and the Jewish people, you gotta have more awareness and sensitivity.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. dmoneybangbang

What is exactly awful about this? Are these Jews being drawn in a very stereotypical way?

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not making any decisions yet, I'm just having trouble what classic antisemitic motifs, like blood libel, secret Jewish control of the media, or supposed Jewish "love of money" are at work here. What are the racial stereotypes on display here? For that matter, how does it "generalize" and apply to all Jews?

I get it why Trump and Netanyahau wouldn't like it. I get if you are a Trump fan your first reaction is negative, but I am concerned that people can't tell the difference between visceral dislike or disagreement, much less reasoned, well articulated and logical counterarguments and actual antisemitism anymore. Or maybe they never could, which is why antisemitism works in the first place?

If there's something I'm missing, I'm open to alternate opinions.

#5 Ottomaton, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  6. HTM

HTM Member

Not sure if serious.

The Times already apologized for it.

We are deeply sorry for the publication of an antisemitic political cartoon last Thursday in the print edition of The New York Times that circulates outside of the United States,” the newspaper wrote. “We are committed to making sure nothing like this happens again.

Such imagery is always dangerous, and at a time when antisemitism is on the rise worldwide, it’s all the more unacceptable. We have investigated how this happened and learned that, because of a faulty process, a single editor working without adequate oversight downloaded the syndicated cartoon and made the decision to include it on the Opinion page.
    The matter remains under review, and we are evaluating our internal process and training. We anticipate significant changes.

and this gentlemen explained the problems with it:

Times columnist and former Jerusalem Post editor-in-chief Bret Stephens wrote an opinion piece on Sunday slamming his paper’s decision to run the cartoon.

Here was an image that, in another age, might have been published in the pages of Der Stürmer,” he wrote, referencing the infamous Nazi propaganda weekly tabloid. “The Jew in the form of a dog. The small but wily Jew leading the dumb and trusting American. The hated Trump being Judaized with a skullcap.

https://www.jpost.com/International...tisemitic-cartoon-blames-single-editor-588109

RocketsLegend and MojoMan like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

I didn't realize Jews and dogs were synonymous. So how do we draw this relationship? Just draw Trump kissing Netanyahu's feet?

The cartoon seems pretty obvious to me, Trump is just doing whatever hard line Israel wants to do to appease the US Evangelical base.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And here we go with the typical Democrat left lie, deflect and deny routine. Just like clockwork.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe I’m missing something, I thought they were mocking netanyahu in particular, which wouldn’t be anti-Semitic.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Dude, seriously? You're gonna continue along this path?

The Times already commented and called it antisemitic/unacceptable and apologized.

The depiction of Jews in print media has a very long and terrible history.

Like Bret Stephens said, this cartoon would not be out of place in a Nazi-propaganda publication.

Here is a wise suggestion for making satirical cartoons involving Jews - don't.

Find some other way to display some healthy criticism.

11. dmoneybangbang

OK so now cartoons depicting Jews in any form is bad....

Apparently.... speaking against Israel is a no no too... GOP passed laws.

Apparently.... boycotting Israel is a no no too...GOP trying to pass laws.

I'm just confused to how we can criticize Israeli actions and the US support...?

12. dmoneybangbang

We learned it from your side. Seems pretty effective. Teehee, how's Brexit?

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The skull cap on Trump is pretty iffy. Does anybody think Trump is a secret Jew like they thought Obama was a secret Muslim? Either way, not even sure what it is supposed to imply, honestly. Didnt see it, shouldn't be there.

Would it have been cool if Netanyahu were drawn as a big mainly pitbull guide dog instead of whatever that complaint said about a "sneaky little dog", or whatever the complaint was? (BTW, off topic but I get why people don't think of them that way but Dachsund are the toughest MF-ing dogs ever - bred to crawl into badger nests and kill them. Vietnam tunnel rats of the dog world.) But clearly the choice of the Dachsund was meant to imply something negative, not entirely sure what.

The hypothetical "Der Sturmer" cartoon would have not drawn a single clearly identifiable individual currently employed as PM of the state of Israel as leading the blind man, it would have just said "The Jew" and shown a generalized cartoonish jew as a stand in for the global Jewish conspiracy. And it probably would have been a rat on a leash, not a dog.

14. HTM

HTM Member

You should be ashamed of yourself.

15. dmoneybangbang

It's pretty obvious there's a big push to silence criticism of Israel. Criticizing Israel = antisemitism.

16. dmoneybangbang

Why? I can't criticize Israel's actions?

No outrage for the GOP curtailing free speech through legislation.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No, you guys are the masters of these sorts of depraved and dishonest tactics. And as if that were not bad enough, you appear to actually be proud of it. Brexit has been delayed until October 31, 2019.

18. dmoneybangbang

Nah, your side taught us the way. You conservatives are excellent are these depraved and dishonest tactics. It's your side on StormFront and other racist sites right?

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

More lies. Right on schedule.

20. HTM

HTM Member

Because you refuse to condemn an anti-Semitic cartoon that literally the entity that published it condemned as an anti-Semitic cartoon.

Pathetic.