1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT Opinion] The Great Republican Abdication: A party that no longer believes in American values.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Apr 22, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think you are not quite following the rules of Haiku.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ring wing poetry doesn't follow the rules

3. adoo

adoo Member

, which explains this development in red state Iowa.

Andy McCean, Iowa's longest-serving Republican lawmaker, is switching over to the Dem party, in part because of his disapproval of President Donald Trump.

Rep. Andy McKean, who represents Anamosa in the state House of Representatives, announced Tuesday that he plans to register as a Democrat and vote with the minority caucus.

"With the 2020 presidential election looming on the horizon, I feel, as a Republican, that I need to be able to support the standard bearer of our party," McKean said during a news conference at the Iowa Capitol. "Unfortunately, that's something I'm unable to do."
    He said if the president’s behavior and leadership is the new normal, "I want no part of it."

"Unacceptable behavior should be called out for what it is and Americans of all parties should insist on something far better in the leader of their country and the free world," said McKean, 69, a retired attorney.

McKean said Trump is just one part of a bigger national trend of partisanship that made him feel out of place in the Republican caucus. McKean said when he joined the Iowa Statehouse 40 years ago, there were many moderates in the Republican Party. But now, he said, the ranks have thinned.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...republican-leaves-gop-cites-trump/3559481002/

B-Bob likes this.